Deshaun Watson Traded to Browns

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Br4d, Feb 20, 2022.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

After what they gave up on that trade I wouldn't trust that the Browns were thinking too clear. Watson is great but too many underlying factors right now.

I really didn't think what he did amounted to something criminal, just very creepy which will still probably get him some time off the field.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The question is did he coerce any of the masseuses into sexual relations they didn't want but could not refuse due to the circumstances?

That's rape. With a capital R.

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The grand juries didn't seem to think so with what they were presented. We'll see if any other charges come up.

4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Did the circumstances involve a muzzle or some other way to prevent someone from speaking?

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. KingRoach

It sounded much more damning until I read the testimony. Was it the first dick she’d even seen? I was expecting more, and maybe it’s there but not in this article… was he laying down on the table at the time or was he upright which would be aggressive and in appropriate? If he’s upright and putting pressure on her, that’s terrible, I get it… but if he was laying down getting a massage and she got whacked with a dick, I’m not really buying the chain of events.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's a really tricky thing. listen for all intents and purposes I think watson is a sexual predator. The circumstantial evidence certainly points that way when you factor in common sense. No professional athlete hires 40+ masseuses via Instagram many of whom are under-qualified when they have access to high quality professionals. Athletes are very strict with their training and bodies, they don't randomly hire people. they find one they like and stick with them. as someone else pointed out before I wonder how many barbers he has. it's likely 1, maybe 2 as a backup.

With that said I really don't like the whole "can't refuse" nonsense. it essentially means anyone in power can never get consensual permission. because even if you sign a waiver and take a recording saying I consent you could come back later and go well I had no choice. Some onus needs to be put on people to speak up. laws are in place to protect people. I have a good friend who is a masseuse and she has no issues saying no to clients or refusing service to someone if they seem shady.

So really just overall watson is very likely guilty however it's near impossible to prove and you can't set a precedent in the law where no means no but yes also means no as it opens up any celeb or anyone in power or really anyone to be screwed over after not doing anything wrong at any time because someone from their past decides to be a jerk for any reason

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

From earlier reports I believe at least one of the complainants had at least two incidents with Watson which begs the question of if there was a problem the first time why would she go back? Was the money that good or the problem that small or is the big money yet to come, in her mind?

cval likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The accusers claimed they did eventually say no, but the lawyer argued words didn't come out audible enough with Deshaun's dick in their mouths.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

She must have fantastic hand to mouth coordination or Deshaun would not have her back.

On a more serious note, with all of the roasting of the golden goose unfolding, it was her turn to get a really happy ending. Beats a few hundred bucks for polishing off Deshaun. Hopefully NFL will side with the happy end masseuses and suspend for minimum 2 games.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Damning? Sounds like a perfect gentleman: “Sorry about you feeling uncomfortable,” Watson texted. “Never were the intentions. Lmk if you want to work in the future. My apologies.”

Prosecutors agreed and didn't press the criminal charges. Now just a money grab left - which was the point of this anyway. Hopefully enough of a sob story to suspend the sucker for a pair of games, so we face Browns without him.

12. Ralebird

Except Watson is probably not going to be willing to forfeit over five million bucks for those two games just so the Jets could win; that could go a long way towards paying his legal bills. The special status given the NFL regarding monopoly or restraint of trade was not designed to financially injure a player through a unilateral decision by the league. Rusty Hardin is no slouch in the legal world and would probably be happy to contest any decision made by Goodell and company without due process. It is somewhat surprising that no player in the past who has been fined or suspended has sued the league for punitive, as well as compensatory, damages on that basis.

13. KingRoach

I’ve heard more details since that post… definitely problematic

14. GasedAndConfused

they can't sue the league for suspensions. it's in the NFLPA they agreed to. The league can suspend them pretty much at will and all they can do is contest it with an arbiter

FJF likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Any entity can be sued by any other entity for almost anything, prevailing may be a different story. The courts, however, have traditionally upheld the right of due process and the right to appeal.

NFLPA is the National Football League Players Association, it would be odd for such a labor organization to be giving away rights of their members. You may be referring to the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) which applies to all players.

Since the CBA of 2020 the commissioner no longer holds the position of deciding penalties for off-field infractions including alleged violations of the Player Conduct Policy; that responsibility has shifted to an impartial disciplinary officer selected and paid for equally by the league and the players association. That leaves the league in the position of prosecutor and the person charged with a violation as the defense. The league does not have the opportunity to appeal the decision of the disciplinary officer; the alleged violator may appeal an unfavorable decision but, rather oddly, the appeal is handled by the commissioner who had been acting as prosecutor of the offense. This is explained in Article 46 of the CBA. Article 46, Section 1 | NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) | Over The Cap

The most recent iteration of the Personal Conduct Policy I can find is from 2018 [Microsoft Word - 2018 Personal Conduct Policy.docx (nflcommunications.com)] and speaks almost entirely to criminal matters and since no legal authorities have seen fit to prosecute Watson for any of the allegations there may not be enough meat in the policy to enforce any punishment.

It should be noted that Robert Kraft was subject to the same PCP and was not disciplined by the NFL even though he had been charged criminally before his case was dropped. Watson has never been charged with a crime regarding his massage activities.

#135 Ralebird, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    Acad23 likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

not if you have an agreement that you can't sue. Their right to sue is waived and in lieu of that they can go to arbitration. It's a pretty standard thing actually

17. Ralebird

The disciplinary process is established in the CBA; there is nothing in the CBA that waives or precludes any of the parties from seeking relief in a court of law.

18. GasedAndConfused

this is what they agreed to

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/46/

They can't go to court to sue the NFL over a process they agreed to because it didn't go their way. the NFL employs independent contractors. thats what players are, they aren't employees of the NFL, they work on individual contracts and the guidelines of the rules are agreed upon between the NFL and the NFLPA and that's a binding legal document the court can only enforce that document, they can't alter it, if a player tried to sue, the court would throw the case out saying they agreed to those terms. Courts are in place to uphold legally binding documents, not to alter them if someone later on thinks they aren't fair.

19. Ralebird

You are correct in showing the part of the CBA that deals with Commissioner Discipline, that is the same page that I linked above. If you're claiming that all parties have waived their right of redress in a court of law please identify the section of the Article that addresses that. You won't find it anywhere; simply because a contract is written in a certain manner does not mean it cannot be legally challenged. Contracts are challenged in court every day.

20. GasedAndConfused

https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/rules-enforcement/accountability-fines-appeals/

they work under the CBA which is a contract the players agreed to and must hold up their end of the bargain. They can only take the NFL to court for breach of the CBA.

https://www.jensenlawmn.com/adhesion-contracts-unconscionable

There is 0 way any court would find a contract like this unfair to any party. the court is there to uphold a contract not alter it. it's a very rare occasion where a court would and it's only in a case someone was strongarmed into a completely 1 sded contract which isn't the case here.