What stats does Zach need in 2022 to call his season a success?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

June 1st

Less than 100 days to go until the first game of the season. Hopes are high, dreams are big. 2022 Jets have a better RB room, better TE room and equal or almost better WR room. OL should be better with the addition of Laken and potential healthy return of Becton.

Zach Wilson, a student of the game, hard worker and always an underdog in college who beat some odds to be picked #2 in the NFL draft. He now has another challenge ahead of him in his 2nd year. To win the hearts of Jets fans and get stamp of approval from his coaches and Joe D for future so we continue investing in him.

That brings us to my question. As a fan, in your not so humble opinion, what stats would make you call Zach's season success?

Let me start.

First of, availability. I need him to start all 17 games. If not 17, then 16 games minimum.

STATS:

3800 yards passing
    65% completion rate
    24 TD
    Less than 13 INT's

Chime in please

The Dark Knight, SOJAZ, Jojo and 3 others like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

That's works out to somewhere around a 90 passer rating which would be a tremendous improvement. I am hoping for mid 80's and would be thrilled to see him put up the numbers you just posted.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the 55% completion percentage has to get better. If it does then they will win more games as they wont be locked into so many 3rd and longs. I want to see him get to 60%

Jedi mind tricks and Jojo like this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's gonna be a boring answer but I think I'm looking for pretty much the exact same thing you've said already. I would go a little lower on yardage and TD's (3500+ yards and 20+ TDs) but the rest is spot on.

I would like to see fewer than 13 INTs but if he's in that 3800+ yard and 24-25+ TD range, I can live with a few more turnovers.

Finally, the main thing would be to have his QBR be in the high 40's+ range and have a Passer Rating of 85+.

Jojo, Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think most stats tell the true story for a QB. How well a team supports a QB is a more important decider of their stats. Raw stats without context are generally misleading. But there are some things we should be looking for. The most important Stat Wilson needs to improve on is getting the ball out quickly. He made improvements the second half but he still often held the ball too long. I want to see him be decisive, trust his reads, and get the ball out on time, not holding the ball for 3 seconds on average per throw. The eye test here is more important than the number but he can't be last in the league at holding the ball again. The second huge improvement would be lowering his sack rate percentage. Wilson had a sack rate percentage of getting sacked on over 24 percent of pressures (one sight had him at 26% another at 24%). That is Mark Sanchez numbers bad and Justin Fields bad just without the massive fumbles of either. Part of that is the line and part of that is him trying to do too much. He needs to cut down a lot on these unforced errors that kill drives. The third big area is accuracy. He needs to clean up his footwork and mechanics. He is very inconsistent. He often points his left foot to the left of the target forcing his throws to the left and his footwork getting into his drops is often messy and effects his timing. But, also playing with confidence will help a lot as well.

#5 Noam, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

seven wins

Jeff M likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I just want to see notable improvement that makes me bullish on his trajectory.

3500 yards
    63% completion
    2:1 TD:INT ratio

A season like that would give me some confidence that Wilson could at least be a decent QB we could win some games with, along with a chance that he could become a good QB if he continued to improve.

JetsFan, Jets79 and Lon Chaney like this.
  8. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

9. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

How bout 60?

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I just wanna be dazzled... :cool:

11. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I think we organically see his completion % in the 60-68% range this year. It will be a result of establishing a solid run game (Tomlinson, Becton, Hall, Uzomah, Ruckert) and utilizing play action.
    Receiving group with Moore, Braxton and Wilson will also help.

Hopefully the defense can get some stops or the run game will be out the window...

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  12. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

At least 20 TD's, comp% 63% , 3400 yds , QBR 83, 7 wins , & no more than 12 INT'S
    This would be a solid year 2 considering how much we will run the ball.

#12 BudJet, Jun 1, 2022
    Jojo, Jeff M and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

3,600 Yards, 24 TD's, 12 INT's, 60% CMP

Not exactly eye popping, but considering how last year went, they're a step forward. I also want the eye test to tell me he's made significant progress and there's more to come once the skill position players become established.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Zach throws for 5,000 yards and we only win four games what success has he had?

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe he had a lot of success, but other areas of the team didn't. Or he could've padded his numbers in garbage time. Some context would be needed to make a judgement.

KingRoach likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe we can get some team to trade 15 first round picks for him the way a lot of people here wanted to do for Watson.

James Hasty likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not really concerned overall at stats. I will say a 1.5-2 to 1 TD to INT ratio is important (he has to cut down on turnovers which he was great at after the injury) but the rest is more just how he looks on film. making smart decisions, running the offense, being a consistent field general.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Excellent observations!

I watched a movie about Kurt Warner, "American Underdog", the other day, and two of his coaches - one in college and the other his Arena Football coach - really leaned on him to get rid of the ball quicker. It was hard for him to do because he had had success in escaping the pocket and using his arm to make throws, similar to Zach. This is definitely something he needs to work on. But I think LaFleur has been working with him on this because he seemed to be doing much better towards the end of the season. I think this - staying in the pocket - was something they really tried to drill into him and that caused some of his struggles in the beginning. I look to him being better at this this year.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not so concerned with stats because they are heavily influenced by things beyond his control. That said, stats are indicative of progress - or lack thereof - so with that in mind, mid twenties for TDs, half that number of INTs, at least 3500 yards, but as Noam pointed out I want to see him more decisive and making the right decisions more quickly.

EDIT: I meant to say at least 3000 yards, not 3500. Sorry if that confused anyone.

#19 ColoradoContrails, Jun 1, 2022
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I hate to rely on stats when the smell test is more important but I'm pretty much in agreement here with the numbers posted so far. If he is coming along with getting the game to slow down for him, reading the field and not forcing passes into the dirt or over guys' heads he'll end up in the 62 - 65% range and be at 3500 - 3900 yards with 1.5 TDs per game and half that or less in interceptions.

Lon Chaney and ColoradoContrails like this.