A story about a QB...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, May 28, 2022.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sorry but this thread is a bad take-a-palooza. People using one example of one thing to try to argue that will happen again vs. people using one example of the opposite thing to try to argue that will happen instead.

Also - it's extremely off base to say people criticizing Zach are only doing so because his stats were bad. That's just objectively false. He didn't look good from the eye test either, the stats just happened to back up the eye test. I couldn't believe how many passes he was outright missing and lobbing into triple coverage earlier in the season especially.

I also find it pretty funny that people are trotting out the exact same excuses we heard for 3 years from Darnold defenders - "situation wasn't good, stats don't tell the whole story, he had no help around him, coaching staff's fault, too early in his career to criticize".

For the record, I think Wilson is a lot smarter than Darnold and a lot more honest with himself about his faults, which makes me somewhat optimistic he'll improve more than Darnold ever did. The double standard from people trying to argue Wilson was anything other than awful last year is stunning though.

RonPi likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Since the QB in question is Aikman, I looked up his numbers. It was a different era back then, but he never had more than 23 TD passes in a season.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah different eras mean the stats don’t hold up from era to era, most noticeably for QBs. When Namath played, when Bradshaw played, PI was radically different and QBs and receivers both could be hit. Back then a 50% completion rate was the norm. Today that gets you out of the league. Different game

I like to think of Hall of Fame players as they need to be considered the very best in the the time they played. If they were talked about as the best in their time then that’s the yardstick…not looking at blown up stats from today in 17 game seasons.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Darnold had moments his rookie year and showed a ton of promise. The problem with Darnold was not his rookie season but season 2 ,3 and 4 where he did not improve. Not the same excuses.

Zach got better through out the season no doubt. As I have stated breaking down the games is a much better judge than overall stats. Zach played liked a rookie but improved.

He is also in a much better position that poor Sammy. 1. Same OC - this is huge for a young QB and not be underestimates. 2 . A competent GM that went out and helped him by shoring up the o-line and getting Zach weapons.

LAJet, WilsonJetsFan, Noam and 5 others like this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, some of us are giving the same excuses for Wilson that we did for Darnold. Darnold never improved though, even with a decent roster in Carolina. We haven't yet seen if Wilson will improve.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You ain't looking close enough...

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The same people who were sure Wilson would be a superstar last season are sure he will be a superstar this season.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who said anything about Wilson being a "superstar"?

Anyone with half a football brain can see that he is worth developing.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Rah Rah... Sis Boom Ba!

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Tampa game gave me some hope.

Noam likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Who said anything about worth developing or not? Lots of comments have been made over the past year about Wilson being the answer to the prayers of all Jets' fans; so far, he's not.

12. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

That was a very good film breakdown. It gave a much greater appreciation for the reads Zach was making toward the end of the season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

stop it with facts and common sense sir, that won’t be tolerated.

15. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Didn't realise Ronnie F@#&_ Pickering was a member of the board.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

An excellent breakdown of what people need to be looking at and taking into account besides raw stats.

Acad23 and Noam like this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Jets X factor did a nice break down pf Zach before and after the injury.

I don't want to repeat the article as there is a ton of good information good and bad for Wilson and people should click on it and read at Xfactor so the writer at least gets some benefit. But here are some interesting takes:
    https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/05/30/ny-jets-every-version-zach-wilson-2021/

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

All of Zach's faults are correctable with coaching... and his willingness to incorporate that coaching into his game.

And from all reports... Zach is a hard worker and a student of the game.... so there's that.

He's got to make a big leap this season... I just hope he can stay ahead of our defense.

19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

haha--welcome to the board.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He actually demonstrated the bold during the last 7 games of the season, which is why I'm confident he'll continue to do so this season. My only real concerns are him staying healthy, and the rest of the team actually improving also. Big "IF"s, but not at all farfetched.

Brook!, Noam and KY Jets Fan like this.