NY Rangers General Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by Losmeister, Jan 14, 2021.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

7.7 :(

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

He’s been disappointing, yes. Krieder used to be disappointing but showed enough to ride through his bad streaks and now it’s paying off. Maybe the same happens for Kakko. He does have talent, we just don’t see it consistently yet.

Br4d and NYJFOREVER like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Igor has given up 3 regulation goals in 3 games, 4 goals total.

Gallant needs to roll that Kreider/Mika/Chytil line for a full 60; that line dominated Carolina and for some reason he went back to Vatrano.

Carolina played their best game last night and lost. The Rangers are winning this series in 6 or 7.

4. NYJFOREVER

I think Kakko does enough with possession and defensively that he’s going to be on this team for a while.

5. Dierking

[​IMG]

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  6. HackettSuxTNG

What specifically does he do defensively that you find so encouraging?

7. HackettSuxTNG

May I have your permission to check whether or not three years from now you have the same level of patience with Sauce Gardner?

8. NYJFOREVER

He fights on the boards, he can maintain possession of the puck to carry it out, and he actually attempts to backcheck (and is successful) unlike our "superstar" forwards. His ability to maintain puck possession helps in challenging the neutral zone as well.

Trying to equate the development of a football player to the development of a hockey player is ludicrous. Does it suck Kakko isn't putting up points? Yes, it does. Does it make him a bust? Not yet, the Book of Kakko isn't finished yet. He's a very talented skater that's coming into his own, albeit slowly.

9. HackettSuxTNG

It's pretty convenient to point to something that has no statistical evidence to support your position. I also notice that you didn't say he takes the puck away from the opposition, or he blocks shots, both of which has statistics to support the actions.

Trying to equate the contribution levels of an overall 2nd pick in one sport to an overall 4th pick in another is not ludicrous . The level of expectation is proportionate to the position the players we picked in the draft, regardless of the sport.

The primary purpose of a winger is to generate offense. Kaapo Kakko has consistently failed to do so, despite your attempt to shield it with meaningless platitudes. I am wondering if people on this board will show the same patience to Sauce Gardner if he consistently fails to protect the deep pass, but does things like "runs well" or is an "excellent tackler".

10. NYJFOREVER

Watch him play and you'll see it. You are allowed to deviate away from statistics; same way you can watch NFL film and see a player can play even though the stats aren't there.

The expectation's for both are high, but to compare the expected DEVELOPMENT of a hockey player to the expected DEVELOPMENT of an athlete in any other sport is asinine. If you can't understand that, this conversation isn't worth having.

Maintaining puck possession, having a strong forecheck/backcheck, and attacking in the neutral zone lead to offense.

11. HackettSuxTNG

So I just want to make sure I understand you: You are saying that when the Rangers selected Kaapo Kakko with the second overall pick, their expectation was for him to maintain the puck.

12. HackettSuxTNG

I've watched every Jets game since 1984. Anthony Becht was one of the best blocking tight ends I have ever seen. Why does every Jets fan never hesitate in calling him a "bust"?

13. NYJFOREVER

Your question was, "What does he do good defensively", so I answered your question. I even agreed with you saying that his lack of point production was disappointing, but to say he does nothing good at all isn't fair to him, especially as a 21 year old player.

I'm just done arguing about Kakko with you. Nothing I say will change your mind.

14. Dierking

You don't need my permission to be a miserable prick, you've had that all sewn up for years now.

15. HackettSuxTNG

That's disappointing. I was always quite fond of you.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm not a hardcore hockey fan but even I knew that Hughes was considered the best prospect in the 2019 draft and Kakko was behind him. It was absolutely no surprise that the Devil's took Hughes as the number 1 pick.

So who would you have chosen with the next selection? Everything I read about Kakko said he was an excellent prospect but not at the same level as Hughes. Was there someone who you thought was better?

It's not like the Rangers overdrafted the guy. He only 21 years old and you want to just shit can him. If it weren't for the horrendous goaltender interference call in Game 1 vs the Pens, his play would have set up the game winner. I loved everything he did on that play.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

Kakko is 21 years old and is developing, albeit at a slow pace. He had a Covid shortened season in his rookie year, a shortened season last year, and a half season this year because of injury. He’s really only played 2 full seasons in his career.

He does some things well to warrant receiving ice time. His offensive game will come. To want to give up on him is just insane.

18. HackettSuxTNG

With all due respect, I think you are missing my point. I have no issue with the Rangers selecting Kakko when they did. It was a no brainer. My issue with the Rangers has been their management with Kakko since the draft, and especially this season. The bottom line is that he hasn't panned out the way a 2nd overall pick should have after three years experience in the league. They continue to throw him out on the ice like there is no problem, putting him in key situations where he simply does more to hurt the team than help them. Let's take the two wide-open net goals that he blew: Nevermind the obvious impact, but what about the psychological impact on the rest of the team? How about all the guys who would have absolutely buried those shots? You don't think missing opportunity after opportunity breeds frustration on your teammates?

I don't blame the Rangers for him not panning out (If anything, I am extremely critical of all these so called "experts" who have time and time again proclaimed the next megastar is upon us, only for them to wind up busts time after time, but that's another topic for another day). There comes a time when you need to cut your losses, and the Rangers should have done this earlier int he season when Kakko had some trade value. Now, I fear that time is past.

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's played 157 games in his career. He has a ton of raw talent. I don't think we are at the point where you give up on the guy. I don't think the Rangers organization is at that point either.

I think we all understand your feelings but the incessant whining is irritating as fuck. And this isn't your first rodeo with beating a point to absolute death.

Dierking likes this.
  20. Dierking

Clearly you have exceptionally poor judgment.