What is it with Jets fans?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, May 22, 2022.

1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I haven't posted here in a zillion years. As with the newsgroups I used to post on regularly, I kind faded away... but, I forced myself last season to start paying attention again.
    It's striking to me, how many fans that post here, are so jaded by all the failures of the past, that they can't allow themselves to get excited by what's been happening in Jetslandistan.
    So, as a public service to those in the "jaded" category - - wake up!
    As a fan since 1965, who was at the 1968 AFL Championship Game as a kid, & watched Supe III with glee...
    the best in sports is watching a young team grow together, into a tough, competitive team. It's the ride, even with ups & downs, that makes any championship so awesome. If you temper the excitement, with a "they have to win me over" mindset, you'll be missing the ride.
    We've all been disappointed (when the Jets won in '69, I thought it would always be that way... I'm still waiting).

And that's what makes the present such a cool time. It seems we have a management team that's smart, aggressive, & forward thinking. Not a coincidence that Woody was away, when JD was hired.
    So, enjoy being a Jets' fan for once. It may be a roller-coaster ride, & who knows where it will end up, but it's going in a forward direction... for once.

By the way, please don't be put off by this post. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all seer of anything.
    Only, I've lived through a few teams growing together, then winning. And it really is the ride that makes winning so much sweeter.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Adam Gase put a serious hitch in our git-along... :confused:

3. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Yup, when they hired him, it was the 1st time I couldn't follow the team. And it wasn't easy to start again last season.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I can't help being a results oriented personality. All the good intentions in the world are meaningless without tangible results to show for the effort. Maybe break the 50 year Super Bowl drought OR even the Playoff drought, then I can get excited. We're not Chicago Cub fans. Just not wired that way. This organization has gotten away with complete ineptitude for so long, that I guess its expected now if you're a "real" jet fan to celebrate baby steps the same as climbing the Matterhorn. We win April and May. Its what we do.

Ignore the past at your peril... Show me real improvement and I'll show you more excitement. Show me another 4-5 win year, and I'll show you more apathy. No more grading the Jets on a curve. Every team in this league is judged by results aka: wins/losses. I judge the Jets in the same manner. No more excuses. whining or bitching as in the long run, it changes nothing. More wins is all I'm concerned with. Potential only means you haven't done it yet... So far, JD has only provided potential...

#4 Cman68, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There’s a big difference between wanting to see results/being skeptical and just flat out being miserable. I’m not saying this is you by any means but there are definitely people around these parts that can’t even take place in a discussion that involves the notion of the Jets getting better because of whatever we are discussing. It’s tiresome but more than anything I just wonder how the fuck people could be so miserable. it’s grating, makes it hard to even open a thread when you can see who the last person to respond was.

but to the original post… Someone nailed it: the Adam Gase hiring completely disconnected me emotionally from the Jets. The day we hired him I became completely apathetic to every and anything Jets related. I knew Darnold stood no chance, I knew the entire offense would be archaic and I knew we would be restarting in a few years. It wasn’t until the end of last season where we showed signs of life… Both Zach playing well and the rest of the team playing for Saleh… that I started to be optimistic. So yes I am skeptical as well but I have no idea how people can’t be optimistic or at least entertain the thought of it after this off-season.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The problem is not being negative as there are lots of good reasons to be negative. It is the constant ego trolling posts by a few lunatic posters. These loud posters post the same thing over and over dominating discussion and drowning out all other discussion. The problem with their posts is they pure emotion and ego based, cherry pick facts ignoring anything that disagrees with them, offer no actual discussion, do not give supporting facts, do no actual analysis or research and take small items out of context. They are trolls who offer nothing except to derail discussion, drown out thoughtful posts and drive away decent posters.They are a plague on this forum they have slowly destroyed and dumbed-down the forum.

We live in a reactionary time where thought, analysis and research is discouraged. Idiocy reigns and thoughtless emotion almost always trumps substance. It is not surprising that it is so bad here where this forum is dominated by the least intelligent and most angry but it is still disappointing as we all share so much. 50 years of history, dreams of success and many years of despair. There are many things I have learned in life that separate us as humans from animals. The importance of treating others with respect, not to act like an asshole just because one can and the importance of making reasoned arguments based on facts and logic not just opinion and emotion. Sadly, many people here have never even learned one of these lessons.

#6 Noam, May 22, 2022
    KingRoach likes this.
  7. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

We know that the NY Jets are always the NFL darlings and Champions between March 1 and September 1. The fact that they are consistently picking top 5 every draft to begin with notwithstanding, but according to the media, they always win the (FA) offseason, they always had the best draft, they always seem to have the best player available drop to them in round 1,and are always predicted to improve each year; but it never happens. How can any fan that watched last season tell us not to be pessimistic, or at least, VERY, VERY guardedly optimistic at best? Losing to Sam Darnold, getting obliterated by BB twice - once giving up over 50 (to a Mac Jones QB'ed team LMAO), shut out in Denver in a game where I thought they were the least prepared to play that I had ever seen any NFL team be, losing to a pathetic Atlanta team in a game that they were never in and again looking woefully unprepared, not having a divisional victory in how many years? Yes, this year's draft class looks stellar, but all we need is for the NYJ organization to shut up and SHOW US on the field of play. Forever we hear them talk of changing cultures, and all gas no brakes, or whatever the f**k the new slogan for the next losing season is, yet we are picking top 5 year after year after year. Show us, Win some games. Go out and play meaningful football in November and December for once and not have Jet fans realize that their season is over before Columbus Day every year. If the NYJ are 1 or 2 games out of a playoff spot and are "in the hunt" as we see on TV every November and December, I think every single one of us Jet fans will stop being so negative. Speaking for myself, I have gotten so classically conditioned to writing negative posts here, it almost seems like a fantasy to actually be able to come here and write about how great our team is, or how great our QB is, or how our RB or WR is smashing it all over the place; or god forbid writing about our upcoming.... "home playoff game" which btw hasn't happened in 20 years.

20 years since our last home playoff game. Let that sink in for a minute and ask again why we are all negative.

Hoping for a better year this year, but not counting on it until they show us.

Ralebird and Cman68 like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Good post DWC. Good to have you back! We were all worried about you. And I like your new outlook too. Go Jets!!!

LogeSection2RowJ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Most fans I talk to are excited for the 2022 Jets. I think even the Darksiders are. The difference is fans like me are expecting to compete and have some success in 2022, where other fans think the team is still a year away from actually competing. Most fans will enjoy the ride. Rejoice when they win, complain when they make dumb mistakes and lose. Typical of any fan base.

Cman68 and ouchy like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

With all the woes, all the humiliations, all the dismal seasons, and the few moments of glory that has become the standard for the NY Jets and its loyal fans going back to the late 60s, IMO the hiring of Mac, Chris Johnson tenure, and the selection of Gase as HC was the lowest and darkest point in Jets history.
    I will be forever amazed and eternally grateful if JD and RS can start turning this ship around in year two after the massive clusterfuck left by the prior regime. That is what's up in the life of this Jets fan.

mac c

#10 LAJet, May 22, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem isn't Jets fans who think the Jets will be good or those who think the Jets will be bad. It's the subset of "optimistic" fans who have decided it's okay to personally attack the "pessimistic" fans for having an opinion they don't want to hear.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sounds like you’re a bit sensitive to people who disagree with you.

Yup. It feels better, but we’ve still been dreadful the past two years. I’ll believe the great turnaround when I see it. We play at Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Denver in a 3/4 week stretch and catch the Ravens on opening day followed by the Browns and defending AFC Champs (I know we beat them last year) in the first three weeks.

It’s not like 2-5 after 7 games is a stretch and then we play two division rivals who made the playoffs last year and have beaten our faces in a lot over the past four years.

#12 Jonathan_Vilma, May 22, 2022
    CotcheryFan and Cman68 like this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

It seems like @Noam was talking about people who shit on facts and add nothing to the convo… I can see why you took his comment personally.

Noam likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Given how your dick is just so erect for me at all times, I was waiting for your douche bag response. You didn’t disappoint so at least you can sleep at night knowing you live up to expectations.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I promise you this is not the case. As stated by others, the problem is when people self loathe and slice their wrists in the corner because of something they made up. Then when they are alerted to the fact they made it up, they whine about people being too optimistic. It’s tiresome. Luckily it’s only a handful of people.

Noam likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s much more realistic to be negative about the franchise that’s been 6-27 over the last two years with one winning season in a decade, than it is to be optimistic. The off-season was fun. The team should be much improved and there feels like a reason to be optimistic.

But Cman’s perspective is the same as a lot in wanting to see something before they believe it. There were high fives after Maccagnan/Bowles first off-season and season, and then again two years later when the franchise savior landed in our laps after the bizarre pre-draft trade up. Understandable to be skeptical at this point.

#16 Jonathan_Vilma, May 22, 2022
    papapump, Yankjetfan, ouchy and 3 others like this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I am not a darksider, but I understand the skepticism. The reasons include but are not limited to:

1. The QB needs to take a massive jump from last year
    2. The defense needs to not get run over every week
    3. The HC needs to show he's not another first time HC who isn't cut out to be in the position
    4. The GM has to get results after 6 wins over the last two years
    5. The team's history suggests something will go wrong even when things are looking up

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I love football and get excited every year about the Jets by opening day. For most of the last 7-8 seasons, that is where the excitement peaks before the slow downhill of WTF. Still, I watch every game of every season, even when I have to stream them. I'd watch the Jets/Bills game from week 17 over the SB if they took place at the same time. But that dedication requires some accountability when things don't go right. Even when I was a sunnysider, which the Gase years (and the Johnson's) finally killed, I wanted accountability when the wheels came off.

And sunnysiding just became to disappointing. But its not gone - I can still do it if I wanted to.

Here, I would have casually posted this 3 years ago:

How Will the Jets Do This Season?

Lets start with offense.

Line
    With the addition of Tomilson at guard we should finally have a solid line from end to end. Thank God! This will give Zach the needed to time develop and succeed, and open up our running game much more. Were primed to be really solid up front which will finally help all phases of our offense have a lot of success.

QB
    Zach showed enough last year to believe he is going to be making all the throws this year and really take the lead in our offense. He has a great arm, can make all the off platform throws, and is an all around great athlete. He will hover around the top 15 by seasons end, if not higher. Especially considering all the weapons around him.

RB
    Our RB room just skyrocketed up the chart with Hall. What is also exciting is the one two punch of Hall and MC. Hall will be the work horse on 1st and 2nd down, and MC will shine on 3rd downs in a big way. Though there will be a lot fewer 3rds in our new offense, when MC does come in, he will thrive because he has a completely different running style than Hall. Defenses that have adjusted to tackling Halls jagged style will slip up when they face Carters sliding style. That is a major advantage and what makes great 3rd downs backs so effective. I expect at least a dozen 20+ yard plays to MC on 3rd down alone, especially out of the backfield. Add that to Hall averaging over 4 YPC and we will have an effective, even dangerous, running attack that must be schemed for.

WR
    Our receiving room is going to be one of the top squads in the league. Think about it. We got 2 top 10 picks and 2 second rounders, plus Braxton Berrios, our mini Crebet. If our OC has even a crumb of talent he should be able to scheme someone open every play. This is going to help us regularly move the chains and result in a lot of big plays. Plus, all of our receivers are good in the red zone. With our backs forcing so many run stopping schemes, don't be surprised if we have two thousand yard plus receivers. Our air attack is primed.

TE
    We got two great FAs and one great rookie. Now we have one of the top TE rooms in the league. This wiIl help Zach develop into the top QB he destined for and add a third level of danger to our already potent passing and running attack. The days of mediocre TE are over and our whole offense will benefit.

OVERALL
    When I look at all the talent on this offense I expect it to average about 27 points a game. That is a huge improvement over our 18 point average last season. The question is, will our defense be able to average less than 27 points a game?

DEFENSE

DL
    If your not excited about our defensive line, you really should be. Its primed to be the best we've had, maybe since the 80s. We got Lawson coming back and he's going to want to make a statement. Consider schemes where him and JJ bookend and you have instant pressure coming from both sides. Frigging scary, it will be like night and day from last year. Now consider we got Q, who wont be doubled nearly as much, and is in a contract year, and the opposing QB is in serious danger. There will be some match ups this season where Q will just feed and be a nightmare. Our sack and hurries number will go way up. Add in Solomon Thomas, who may be an upgrade over Fuki, and we have a very scary unit up front. This will help the defense at every level and help us scheme some interesting looks. This is going to be an exciting year to watch our big guys on defense.

LB
    Yes LB is our weakest unit but we got CJ Mosley, one of the best in the game. With all of the chaos our DL creates, Mosley, and the others, are going to literally be able to hunt right behind them and control that entire section of the field. This is a real "pay the price" situation for any opponent unlucky enough to survive our front 4. Still could use some upgrades but with all the talent elsewhere they should do fine to above average. Because...

DB
    Our DBs are exceptional. Sauce is in the house on on the brisket baby. He has HOF potential coming out and is our first genuine blue chip pick in a long time. Pair him up with DJ Reed, a guy who is hovering around pro bowl level, and you have two great corners. Now add Hall, who is a strong cover guy, and Carter who was a solid nickle, and we got shutdown city. Our safties might not be spectacular, but should be solid. Last year we struggled to get turnovers. Expect our interceptions to triple this season - if not more. We got ball hawks all over the field.

OVERALL
    Between our line and our DBs I almost feel sorry for opposing QBs. They are going to have a tough day when they face us. I'd expect this defense to average giving up around 20 points a game, maybe less.

SEASON PREDICTION
    I don't think the other teams realize just how much we've improved. With all our talent on paper I think 10-7 or 11-6, is well within our grasp.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, in one potential future, all of what I wrote is true. None of it is made up. Its just sunnysideing the best possible outcomes. Because as a sunnysider you believe everything will mostly go right, all rookies will pan out, all free agents will gel, all developing players will get better, injuries will be minimal, and the coaches will be competent.

The problem is, this never frigging happens for us! I could make a similar post for the last 5-6 seasons, and in some of those seasons I did. But I'm not going to drink the cool aid anymore until they show me on the field first. Every season starts out Star Wars and ends up Mars Attacks. Show me Star Wars in December first. It just where I'm at now. But it certainly doesn't mean I wont watch the Jets if we stink. I love football and the Jets are my team.

When my sunnyider died I admit I injected more of what I want to see team building wise, and admit I'm not as sold on our direction as some of the other posters here - and am less forgiving of our historically slow rebuild. For 3 years now we've been league leaders in FA money and draft capital and 6 wins this season is not satisfactory to me - even if we are "more competitive".

This doesn't mean I wont enjoy the ride if we win. And even if we lose its still the Jets, and I'll be excited each Sunday. I'll enjoy the ride a lot if we win 9 or 10 games this year. 6 wins, not so much. Six wins to me will indicate we've gone wrong somewhere. And unlike 5 years ago, I wont be with those who are making excuses and saying, "but next year".

#18 ouchy, May 22, 2022
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I look at the roster on paper and see some light

Then I realize it's 3 months till August ..end of story

Cman68 likes this.
  20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

He did not mention one player or post one stat, no way it's DWC