Was it Smart for the Jets to Draft Breece Hall?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 14, 2022.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

During the draft and up to the first game I'm optimistic about the Jet's draft picks. I always think we will finally field a team that can be a winner. The halfway mark is where you can make some criticism of either the coaching staff or the players.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

a thousand times THIS

he had 14 fucking picks…if ever there was a draft to use picks to move up and get talent that was it. Instead he keeps them all and starts the bonanza by picking a damn fucking safety in Pryor and passing on Brandin Cooks when we needed receiver help. He blew every single damn pick except Quincy Enunwa…and he got hurt

damn I HATE Idzik

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Wow…just wow

don’t really know what to say to this

rumors were Houston was taking Hall it’s why we moved up

no way JJ would have fallen to 35

totally disagree with the third point…JD has been accumulating picks for exactly this reason…blindly saying you should never trade up is no smarter than saying you should always trade up

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont think they have great 'intel' on the rest of the league. They mentioned trying to trade up for Johnson several times from the teens down to 26. How does that happen? I can understand a player like Johnson falling being a surprise to the Mel Kiper's of the world but its usually not with NFL teams

bad intel would explain why they felt they needed to trade up 2 spots for Breece Hall as well, they couldn't trust that they could wait

Brook! and abyzmul like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

maybe Hall would be there maybe not. You can cite “bad intel” all day long, but the talk was Houston was going to take him. So they felt they couldn’t wait. Maybe the talk was true…maybe not. But just like the talk leading up to the draft became the Jags going with Walker not Hutchinson…that talk turned out to be true as well. So you never know. Teams keep that stuff close to the vest. Sometimes things leak. Sometimes they’re true sometimes not. So I don’t think you can necessarily say teams’ intel is true or false. It is what it is…sometime true sometimes BS

in this case clearly JD felt that Hall would not be there at 35. Then he also felt that he liked Hall a lot more than he liked Cooks or whomever else they had as their #2 RB. So he had some intel, and he didn’t want to risk losing a player that he wanted more than any other RB on his board.

and this cost us a 5th round pick.

big whoop.

I seriously can’t understand how we have 8 pages of debate on this….I mean I get that’s the point of a board, and people have their opinions, so that’s cool…but on this one, people arguing that this was a bad move I just don’t get. We gave up very little in resources (a 5th round pick…not a 2nd or 3rd rounder!) to jump a team that was rumored to be considering a player we wanted. Happens every draft up and down the rounds. And to do this for what was the consensus top RB in the draft. To me, this was a great move by JD. It was part of his plan in accumulating picks to allow flexibility in the draft to go get weapons for his second year QB. And he didn’t get raped in the trade…in fact I think he got over. Again.

well played in my book

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure brad is the guy that told me Thibs would be available at 35 and Jameson Williams would be available at 38 so I wouldn’t put too much stock into his draft analysis.

7. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

My cousin and brother are like this. No matter what the Jets do, it's wrong in their eyes.

Trade Darnold? Oh man, he's gonna be a perennial all-pro in Carolina!

Trade Adams? You can't trade away elite talent like that, no matter what!!

How can you draft this guy when that guy was still on the board!

We missed out on Tyreek Hill?! JD Sucks man! (even though it was Hills choice to go to Miami)

I get it, they have SUCKED the past 10 years. But I said this in another post, I feel like they are building this team well. we found some nice players last year to fill roles, CB, WR, OL, DL. Now we are trying to collect elite talent at those positions (Tomlinson, trading up etc.) I eel like there is legitimate reason to be optimistic. It sucks that the AFC is stacked this year, but if you want to be a good->great team, you have to beat that caliber of team.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

when we start consistently winning it'll change but until then it won't. I do think JD is building a team that can consistently win though

STARoSCREAM and westiedog1 like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Oh come on Brad, it is time to just stop this bloody nonsense now.

It is just becoming incoherent nonsense, the guy nailed the draft, 99% if not 100% of experts say he nailed the draft but you label him unsavvy in the way he goes about the draft lol

Like a small child mimicking their elders, dear fuck, what ever next?

10. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

JD and RS want to run the ball as evidenced by signing Tomlinson, Uzomah and Conklin. The additions of Breece and Ruckert further enforced that commitment. Trading a 5th round pick for the best RB in the draft to be your bell cow is a no brainer.

And all this should undoubtedly help Zach by taking pressure off him to be the guy. As RS said on the draft call...the org is going to lift him, not vice versa.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Lets look at the first two rounds of the draft through a harsher lens.

We took Sauce 4th. We need star players so we went for a promising one. But this was a rare draft stocked with talented linemen on both sides of the ball. That is where real winning teams are built, and was a big need of ours, especially edge. Taking Sauce over Thibs was a luxury pick for a roster desperate to have a star. But were we more desperate to have a star edge or a star corner? The "you don't need star corners if you have a star pass rush" philosophy suddenly went out the window. We went out on a limb taking a corner 4th overall.

We took Wilson 10th. IMO this was a shock. Everyone knew how much we've been needing an edge. Yet we passed them over for a WR that currently is slotting 3rd on our depth chart. Sure we hope he steps up and becomes a #1. But that is not his projection. Don't let the way the board fell fool you. This was an average WR draft. London/Wilson would have been 2nd rounders last year. The "we want big body receivers who can block and make contested catches" philosophy went out the window. Was using a top 10 pick on a projected 2nd or 3rd WR that smart? A WR at 10 is usually spent on a widely projected WR 1. Not this year. Yet so many are happy because of where he was rated within his class.

We took JJ 26th. IMO this saved the draft. If we would have gotten to round two without one of the top edges it would have been a major failure. Getting JJ wasn't some smart plan. It was pure luck that he fell to 26th. IMO it would have been smarter to take JJ at 10 and keep both of our 2nds, using 35 on Hall, no trade up required, and 38 on Pickins or Metchie. I'm happy we got JJ but our entire approach to the first two rounds was misguided and only saved by luck.

We traded into pick 36 to take Hall. He has a lot of upside, and I'm fine with the pick. But, like Wilson, he was the top rated RB in an average RB class. RBs are almost as much of a crap shoot as QBs. There are a few that clearly are going to be stars and they are clearly projected to go first round, even these days. We didn't get Barkley or Najee Harris, so using two picks on Hall is a little risky. Its not terrible - but its not the no brainer home run that some people act like value wise. We can, and will, hope for the best.We could have saved the capital with a better approach.

Capital wise our moves cost us a 2nd, 5th, and a 30 pick drop in the 3rd. In a way Brad is correct here. We could have done just as well, or much better, and not given up the picks. Our moves cost us capital which easily could have been turned into someone like Nakobe Dean. For example, are we better off with Garrett Wilson, or George Pickins and Nakobe Dean? Only time will tell but there is a strong argument to be made. If we were early in our rebuild I'd be right with Brad saying we shouldn't have traded anything, and taken JJ at 10. But this is year 3, and something has to change. Something has to improve. Were on the JD ride and we will ride it to the end. Might as well go for it now.

I don't care what analysts say. The draft is a game to them. Its ratings, attention getting, to them. Their almost always wrong about who had the best draft after the season, often wildly wrong. I think our draft was decent but only because luck saved the day. There is a good chance we had a worse draft than we should have because we got too cute with our high picks. IMO our approach was misguided, and luck isn't a skill we can count on going forward. But we got some luck so lets hope for the best possible outcome and more exciting team this year.

#151 ouchy, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    azhar80, Br4d and westiedog1 like this.
  12. K'OB

What again?

KingRoach and cval like this.
  13. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Why do most of you fellas look back with hindsight and think you can predict the future from some point in the past. EVERY pick in the draft changes the future picks. So if the jets drafted an edge at 4, doesn't matter who, than there is no way of assuming anything concerning the rest of the draft for any and all teams. You have no way of knowing what would have happened between 4 and 10, etc.. NO WAY OF KNOWING. But i guess its fun to make believe you are a GM and know best how to manage the draft.
    I for one am extremely happy JD made the moves he did. I was in favor of every one except perhaps Ruckert, where I think we might have gone LB instead. But that's a small quibble.

Now Wilson. I would have preferred trading the pick for Deebo. So what. Still a receiver. Will Wilson turn out to be good and solidify the offense? Who knows. Given the propensity for receiver injuries, maybe he was an insurance policy. I somewhat agree that we might have picked a different position here, but the jets obviously feel other wise. Time will tell if they made the right choice. You may feel Wilson is not going to be great, but you have NOTHING to base that on. NOBODY knows. Only father time will show us. lets all hope you are wrong

14. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

go back and look at the consensus top running back for the last like 10 drafts ... they are almost never the best back

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. K'OB

Almost never you say?
    Put your happy cap on and pray that Hall is one of them.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

A good analysis but I disagree to a certain extent. I definitely agree about edge rushers making DB's better but the problem is edge is so unpredictable that taking Sauce, who may turn into another Revis or Patrick Peterson, may have been the wiser choice here. Most edge rushers drafted in the last 8 years don't crack 10 sacks in their first 2 years and most never hit that mark at all. So, despite the hype it's not likely that Thibodeaux, or even JJ for that matter, is going to be another Strahan.

I never thought WR was an area of great need for the Jets, however, I disagree that last year's receivers were better with the exception of Chase. I feel it was a very strong WR class and JD was determined to get one, however I think he had his eye on London but Atlanta's pick spooked him and he thought he better act quick to get a top guy. It turns out he was right because after he took Wilson there was a run on WRs. However, we could have all the great WRs there are, but it won't mean anything if Z. Wilson can't get them the ball.

I agree about JJ falling being a stroke of luck, but you still have to recognize it and act which JD did. If nothing else, the move covers him for not taking Thibodeaux. Many had JJ ranked in the top 10 overall, so the move up was worth the pick in Rd 2.

Again, I disagree about RB Hall. You make the case that good teams are built around the lines, and that may have some validity, but what this team has lacked over the past five years are playmakers and Wilson and Hall should end that drought. Linemen don't put points on the board but good playmakers do, and the Jets desperately need them. I'm happy JD seems to recognize this too.

Overall, this one of the few drafts, I've had little to complain about. If Sauce turns out to be Kyle Wilson, JJ turns out to be Vernon Gholston and Kayvon Thidodeaux turns out to be TJ Watt, I'll be roasting JD along with everyone else, but I don't think that's going to happen.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I understand having a problem with trading up in general, that's logical.

I don't understand having a problem with our first 3 picks. We got the consensus 1st or 2nd ranked CB and WR prospects (both VERY high impact positions, legitimately 2 of the most important 3-4 positions in the game with what we currently know about positional value) and a top 4 edge prospect.

Not only were our first 3 picks at high value positions, but they were also positions of need for us.

Davis, Moore, and Berrios was not a good enough WR unit in the NFL. It was a decent unit after having a god-awful unit for years, which apparently tricked some of our fans into thinking it was good enough.

Our CB unit wasn't good enough either, at least not with our current safeties.

I implore anyone to go look at which position groups the best teams in the league are strongest in. QB goes without saying, but the next two biggest commonalities are a strong secondary and strong offensive weapons.

18. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I agree completely. I respect everyone's opinions but predicting the future based on the past is silly.

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i like hall a lot. i think hes going to be good. i just wouldnt have traded up for him. i like cook and algier too

ouchy and K'OB like this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’ll just start by saying I’m very happy with the draft.

so…yes JJ fell…that was certainly lucky for us, but also, like westiedog said above, you still have to recognize and act. And that old saying about luck being the crossroad of preparation and opportunity holds here. JD has been accumulating picks for this kind of scenario. He was prepared…the opportunity came up…he pounced.

personally I was a bit surprised at the Sauce pick…all we’ve heard is that corners aren’t a premium in this defense, so I would have probably preferred to go OT at 4 (because I have zero faith in Becton) or edge there. But corners are valuable and between sauce and Reed to go with the kids who showed up pretty well I think we have a very sold CB group now. So I’m not gonna complain about grabbing a top corner.

I have ZERO issue with trading a 5th round pick to go get the RB you want…zero issue. It’s a damn 5th rounder. Worth it.

I was also surprised at the TE pick after signing 2 in free agency. I probably would have preferred LB there, or having passed on an OT earlier, I may have gone that route. I still think OT is a bigger need for us than TE was.

but outside of that…and those are small quibbles from me…I’m super pleased with this draft. Obviously none of the kids has played a down yet, but it sure looks like the second nice draft class in a row for JD…making it easier to believe that the first draft is the outlier, whether because it was his first one, or whether Gase had influence, or whether the different system makes the difference…whatever it is, he’s nailed the last two.

and I think he learned from the Mims thing that teasing down can leave you with a lesser player and if a guy is there you covet, go get him.

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.