Jermaine Johnson Puts the Ink to the paper

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, May 16, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree.

Don't they use certain series of numbers to assist the refs in knowing what general position a player is supposed to play? Or maybe that was from bygone era.

stinkyB likes this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It puts the ink to the paper or else it gets the hose again. Sorry, the way the thread title read reminded me of 'The Silence of the Lambs'. o_O

FJF and K'OB like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I told him I didn't give fuck what number they wear ie your traditional numbers for positions and then said I liked to wear the #5 which was a defenders number but play as a forward.

That is surely the opposite and an example of me not giving a fuck what number they wear by not actually wearing the traditional number for a position myself when I played soccer.

The nuance is on your fixation with traditional numbers at positions, conversation started with Max not liking the guy in the #53 shirt because it doesn't look good, my reply opens with

'Why does a certain number make you look good over another, that is just your view on the matter, I couldn't give a fk what number they wear'

and it ends with an example of why.

I guess something has been lost in translation ;)

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

funny but a good friend of mine is a huge soccer nut and I always give him shit about the awful uniforms with the huge ads (yay I play for Fly Emirates!) and the stupid team names like FC Milan or Real Madrid. Get a real team name.

soccer…sheesh

stinkyB and Brook! like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

And by the way I’m absolutely HATING the loosening up,of numbers by positions….I much prefer the old school way

0-19 for QBs, K and P
    20-49 for RB and DB
    50-59 for LB
    60-79 for OL
    80-89 for WR and TE
    90-99 for DL

I hate single digit numbers on jerseys for anyone other than K, P, and QB

and I can’t stand DL wearing #5

just awful

games going to hell….

Jojo, stinkyB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what the original reasoning was. Could have been to help fans, could have been to help refs, or it could have honestly just been that the NFL loves uniformity (no pun intended). I think the rule actually changed because a couple of older teams have a crapload of retired numbers, and more numbers available at each position helped them out. Seriously, the Bears have retired 14 different jersey numbers at this point.

K'OB likes this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i think originally it was to clarify positions for officiating….like hey a guy wearing 67 can’t be the first guy to catch a ball….

but that’s another thing I hate…this notion of retiring numbers is stupid…I think it’s much cooler to say hey look at all the great players who e worn #12 for the Jets, instead of never being able to see #12 on the field again. I hate it…especially as I love the #13 on a jersey and I’ll never see that again either

get rid of the stupid retired shit and go back to positional numbers

if I were commish for a day that’s one rule I’d put it…
    Sigh…it’ll never happen I know…but it SHOULD!

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The problem isn't so much retiring numbers, it's the devaluing of the qualifications to have your number retired. It should only be done for a truly great, once in a lifetime player, not someone who was very good, perhaps even HOF good.

Jets79 likes this.
  9. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

JJ is on board sweet. Let's Go!!!