If Jets win 8 games this season, this is a statement for future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 15, 2022.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm talking about people on this site this year and on Twitter, Facebook, etc. There are definitely some people getting WAY too excited but to pretend like a majority of the fanbase expects double digit wins and would want Saleh fired if we only win 8 is just not accurate.

Noam likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Prepare yourself for massive disappointment then.

8 wins is very unrealistic with that brutal schedule, we will be lucky to win one group game as things stand.

RAVENS L
    BROWNS L
    BENGALS L
    STEELERS L
    DOLPHINS W
    PACKERS L
    BRONCOS L
    CHEATS L
    BILLS L
    CHEATS L
    BEARS W
    VIKINGS L
    BILLS L
    LIONS W
    JAGS W
    SEAHAWKS W
    DOLPHINS L

5 wins.

I'll predict that you will tag on the Steelers, Browns and?

If we are competing the plan is still on track, if we are getting blown out then and only then will it mean we are off the tracks and down and out again.

For me, the only doubt I have on the Jets staff is Ulbrich, he most certainly needs to improve.

Noam likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes the manic forecasts for how the Team with FAs plus rookies will be manufacturing Pro Bowlers is laughable

8 wins means progress for the CS , the players and is a minimum for me to stay tuned to Woodys losers tbh

But 5-7 wins is like jogging in place smh

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I do agree they could go (7-10), while competing with top teams, and we can feel they are still on track for the future. Anything less would be very concerning.

As for your predictions, I have to strongly disagree. Just assume an (0-4) start? The Jets beat the Titans last year. The Jets beat the Bengals last year. They had the defending Super Bowl Champions on the ropes for 99% of that game. Just assuming they lose to a team is ridiculous.

I think at Green Bay and at Denver back to back will be tough. Never easy to win in Buffalo either. The rest I could see the Jets winning. I could see them upsetting one of these teams I just mentioned on the road too. The NFL is always unpredictable week to week.

5. K'OB

It is called predicting not assuming, what a weird take, you literally called it 'my prediction' to start with?

But you assume an 8+ win season is within the Jets grasp.

Anyway, I'll leave you to your fantasy football, what was it 8 wins or now 12+ wins?

Very hard to tell from the bolded part tbh

#25 K'OB, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

IMO, if our 4 top draft picks are talented NFL players, and if Zach progresses 10 spots, and we don't have many injuries on either line, than 8-9 wins should be within our grasp. That is a lot that needs to pan out. But if all that happens, and we don't win 8 games, its 100% on the coaching. Odds are all of that wont happen and we are probably more of a 5-7 win team on paper.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sorry if my wording was off. I can't make a game by game prediction because everything changes so fast in the NFL. I was just saying the Jets can win any of those games, even the very difficult ones that you bolded.

I think Vegas has the Jets W/L at 5.5, which is too low to me. They expect a (5-12) to (6-11) season. I expect more, but we will find out in the Fall if it is fantasy football or not!

8. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I think we sweep the pats, however, that only wins in the East, along with the Steelers, the Jags. Might bet the Lions and Vikings 4-6 wins depending on injuries. If Hall is a beast ,Becton comes back and Wilson jumps into a top 15 qb 8 wins

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Guys. I am not making a prediction here. I am not saying they will win 8 games or 10 games.

All I am saying is we won 10 games with Bowles back in 2015 but went to shitter right after that season because that season we had expensive vets and not a strong young foundation like we do now.

Also I am saying a 7 win during Gase's first season was also a fluke due to cup cake schedule. That year we lost to lowly Lions when they were 0-10 or something. So we knew 7 games was fluke.

This year though, AFC is loaded and we are underdogs first 11 games of the season.

An 8 win season this year is a statement that we are on the right track and foundation is strong. With almost zero dead cap next year, we will do some damage if we can get to 8 wins and show NFL brass that we belong.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  10. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I am skeptical we will win 8 due to youth and a brutal schedule. 6-7 seems more realistic. But I agree that if we manage to pull out 8 wins, then that's a very good sign for the future.

Jets79, ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Last month & a half is easy, first month & a half is brutal.

I suspect they go 0-for september again, sitting somewhere like 2-7 mid-season before going on a bit of a run down the stretch to save people's jobs... (Douglas, Saleh, Wilson)
    --
    Then we spend all next offseason talking about the "improvement" the Jets made after watching other teams in the playoffs

stinkyB likes this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This team needs to improve in the wins/losses column. Anything less than being in the hunt come late November/early December is a failure, imo.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. K'OB

Being in the hunt lol wow.:rolleyes:

14. NYJFOREVER

I know right, imagine?

Gotta win 3 or 4 games in that first 9.

15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more with your post... I do think it's possible to win more than 5 games but frankly, I want the team to be competitive in every/most games and play hard for 60 minutes. If this team gets beat - and it will - by a superior team but is competitive then so be it. However, if this team gets beat because they seem unprepared and are blowing assignments, making arsine fouls, etc. than I will have a problem with the coaching staff... if there is a pattern, not just one game.

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. K'OB

There is going to be so much disappointment on here come by OCT, you're a season too soon imo

I genuinely think we are improving and I am hoping that we are now all set to compete but I don't think we have enough about us experience wise to see us jump from 2/4 wins to 8/9 wins.

This schedule is tough and our group is the hardest in the whole of the NFL.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to be utterly wrong on this but a pragmatic approach now won't have me suicidal after 6 games when reality bites hard.

Noam likes this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think it is impossible for us to win 7 to 8 games. I just think there is a process. A team goes from non competitive loser ---> competitive loser ----> learning how to win -----> winner. That is a lot of steps that we have to jump in the process to becoming a winning team. Suddenly winning 7 to 8 games does not seem realistic which is why I don't think wins/losses in year 2 of the rebuild is a good way to measure progress.

Progress to me is playing competitive football week in and week out even if that means only winning 4 games. Progress is developing our young players. Progress is our 11 to 12 new starters gelling, progress is not having a another year of a crazy amoubt of injuries, progress is our young QB playing with more confidence, better mechanics, getting the ball out a lot faster, making better decisions and being more accurate. Progress is our defense stopping the run, having a pass rush, getting off the field on 3rd down, turning the ball over and not being a bottom 5 defense.

This is not a comprehensive list. But, if we improve on most of these things then screw the wins. The wins will eventually come once we start improving in all these areas.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The "11-12 new starters will hold us back" is silly pandering for JD apologists. Most of our new starters will be veteran players that are notable upgrades over last season - finally. That shouldn't hold us back, it should significantly propel us forward. 5 wins would be only one win better than last years bottom of the pack team, and mean this season was a major failure.

This was JDs third full offseason. He needs to field a team that can be competitive with the rest of the league. Not just "being in games", but winning more of them. Especially considering the record amount of assets he's had the last 3 years. No excuses. If we don't win 7-8 games than were still a crummy team experiencing the slowest, most expensive, and most non competitive rebuild in our history.

#38 ouchy, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
  19. NYJFOREVER

Anyone expecting 9-10+ wins is extremely optimistic.

Again, 3 or 4 wins in that first 9 is a huge win. Expecting 2.

Noam and K'OB like this.
  20. K'OB

Looking at the schedule we could hit a nice seam of form to carry us into next season, if ZW is who we hope, the schedule definitely gets a little easier looking in the latter stages, we could end with 4 straight wins lol

NYJFOREVER likes this.