What Exactly Is Going To Make The Jets Better?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RonPi, May 14, 2022.

1. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I realize it's May and Zach has already thrown for 5000 yards and we couldn't possibly go worse than
    16-1 and we also had the greatest draft in not only the history of the NFL but in *all* sports, but
    given the tougher schedule this year, what is it exactly that is going to make us better in each of these
    categories this year? The numbers were our league ranks last year. Notice I just asked for better, not
    a lot better.

Points allowed 32
    total yds allowed 28
    rush yds allowed 29
    total yds allowed 32

Points 28
    yds rushing 27
    yds passing 20
    total yds 26

Ron

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The only thing that is going to make the Jets better is solid management. That's what they've been lacking since Parcells left town.

Since then the Jets have never had more than 2 solid years in a row. That's because all the management teams have overloaded for a short window and then fallen flat when the assets they overloaded on either got hurt or aged out.

Jedi mind tricks and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

What's gonna make the Jets better is developing the young talent that we have and continuing to add pieces here and there to build a solid foundation for years to come. Injuries are gonna happen, and if one of our main guys gets hurt and continues to always be hurt then I can't blame that on the organization. That's just bad luck, but building and developing young is the most important asset. I'm really hoping Saleh is the real deal, and not a glorified coordinator like I'm starting to think that he is. I don't know from an X n O's department if he's good enough to make that leap, and I hope I'm proven wrong. He'll have his chance to prove me wrong.

cval, SOJAZ and Brook! like this.
  4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Coaching and execution. Br4d put it succinctly, develop young players in a system that enables players to play their best CONSISTENTLY.

Br4d likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe a change in location to a stadium of their own would help. Perhaps new ownership and a fresh start like the Mets. Something about the Jets aura just hangs in the air like Carbon Monoxide. Can't put my finger on it but you know its there. :)

LAJet, Jets69 and Noam like this.
  6. Br4d

It's the odor of stale thinking. The Jets have been on the same page since the Johnson's took over. Make waves in the off-season. Do lots of exciting stuff in the off-season. Market that to sell tickets.

Then come the regular season the same fractured product is on the field. Coaches come and coaches go and some of them have a half-a-clue and almost put everything together but it all falls apart in the end because the basic plan is to win the off-season and that *never* wins a trophy once the games start.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

We’ll I think JD is the most qualified GM we’ve hired really since Parcells.

Tanny was a cap guy but at least he learned under Parcells (I think) and he knew how to build a team…at least it was a clear vision. He rebuilt the OL in one year into o e of the top 5 OLs in the league by drafting Brick and Mangold and signing Faneca and Woody. Those moves essentially created an offense. Jones was a solid RB who benefitted from a very good OL, and the receivers were good with Braylon, Cotchery and Santonio until Santonios personality and ego did him in. On D he drafted the best corner in the league and then Harris was very good too so he had solid building blocks on D.

but after that we had shit…Idzik and Mac should never have been hired and will never be GMs again.

so for the first time in over a decade we have someone in charge who has a vision and works well with his coaches and hopefully will continue to build a solid core

8. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Our young talent starting to realize their potential, especially, our quarterback, becoming at least a mid level NFL starter next season. If those things happen, and our potential franchise left tackle can keep from eating himself out of the league, we should start to make good strides.

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I genuinely believe we have a front office that knows what it's doing now. Of course nobody can be sure until we see this team play, but I believe they have greatly improved this team over the past two offseasons. The only way to improve is to bring in better talent, and let that talent develop chemistry and gain experience. It takes time, but I believe we are watching that very thing happen before our eyes.

Brook!, PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

A better defense!! One can only hope some day team's offenses hate seeing the Jets on their schedule instead of circling it on the calendar.

ouchy likes this.
  11. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Talent plus experience equals success.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Br4d

The Jets obviously believe this because they keep signing talented veteran free agents. However I think their approach is wrong. The answer is to overload on young talent and then when there are just a few holes remaining to acquire vets to fill those if you don't think you have the answer on the roster already.

My take would be that talent plus upside potential equals success, with talent and experience a byproduct of that a few years down the road when you have to decide whether to keep the vets or go for more talent and upside.

If you look at who the Jets have acquired recently you see C.J. Mosley coming from a good team that decided to go with upside over what he offered. You see Laken Tomlinson coming from a good team who decided to go with upside over what he offered. You see Corey Davis coming from a good team who decided to go with upside over what he offered.

Buying into talent and experience is a losing play unless your team is already talented and experienced and just filling a few holes. Even then the good teams tend to let holes open up by letting talented and experienced players go and developing a chain of young players to replace the vets. It's how you win in the NFL.

cval likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fair question, @RonPi! I will tell you:

1. Growth and improvement from Zach Wilson. He will take a big leap from Year 1 to Year 2.

2. Better protection for Wilson, as Becton is returning and they added Tomlinson in the off-season.

3. Better weapons for Wilson, as they added Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall, and three new TE's to go with Moore, Davis and Carter.

4. A year experience for Mike LaFleur should make him a better Offensive Coordinator and play caller.

5. The defense will finally have a pass rush with the return of Carl Lawson, drafting of Jermaine Johnson, and other solid rotational players.

6. The secondary is much improved with the additions of DJ Reed and Jordan Whitehead, plus drafting Sauce Gardner.

7. A year of experience as Head Coach should make Robert Saleh even better in terms of preparation and game management.

8. There is a lot of youth on the roster. Some of the other guys from last year could take big jumps in 2022, not just Zach Wilson.

They still need to sign another DT to help with run support, but it is only May. A linebacker could help too. Still, this team is much improved from the one that went (4-13) in 2021.

14. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

We probably won’t make the playoffs next year but the games will start to be a lot more competitive and it won’t be hard to see how 2023 will be a playoff bound team.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

IMO the most important improvement is upgrading the line on both sides of the ball.

Offense
    Our O-line looks the solidest its been in several years, which will help all phases of the scheme. Add to that what should be an upgrade at RB, a for sure upgrade at TE, and we should be much more effective moving the ball this season. Skill guys like Zach and Moore having a year of experience should help as well. Hard to say if our rankings improve 2 spots or 10, but it should be trending up.

Defense
    With Lawson coming back, and hopefully JJ panning out, the added QB pressure should be worth an extra 2 wins alone. Our DBs have also been upgraded which should not only allow fewer passing yards but also generate more turnovers, which should be worth an added win or two. A lot here will depend on Sauce and JJ who are rookies, so much of it is an on paper improvement at this point. Still, it would be hard to be worse than last season.

Special teams don't really look improved much and most positions still have an alarming lack of depth so key injuries, especially on the lines, could derail our progress. Zach's development is so key, but on paper this roster should be good for 6-7 wins if everything works out like planned.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The quick answer is to start winning games

Next to that is being competitive into the 4th qtr

Which means you are not losing in a blowout or 2 TDs

Plus I think Brad is right ..time for Kitchen Staff Chefs Saleh Ulbricht and LaFleur to use all this ingrideints that your GM has stocked the shelves with to produce a masterpiece...the Talent is certainly there!

westiedog1 and SOJAZ like this.
  17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Biggest worries for this team are QB and LB.

Even if you buy off on our starters at these positions the depth is shaky.

We also have many players with little or no experience penciled in for starting jobs.

While deep passes are fun the test of this young team will come down to moving the chains and stopping other teams from doing so.

All too many times we let opponents convert third and long into a first down instead of making them pay.

Noam and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

No need for complex answers, it's just going to come down to Wilson.

If he can consistently make smart, low risk throws to the weapons we now have then we'll be decent at least. If he can't we won't. Everything else is a distant 2nd in importance.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Our defense is the other side of the coin.

Shootouts might fill the stands but we need to play a lot better on both sides of the ball

Noam, NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And that will also dictate how much pressure is put on Zach and the offense. As long as we can keep games close, the offense will be okay.

Noam, James Hasty and NYJetsO12 like this.