Keelan Cole leaves Jets for Raiders

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Borat, May 12, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

NYJalltheway, ouchy, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I have little hope for Davis--hoping Mims can beat him out by mid-season. Davis is a cut next year and if Mims becomes a weapon we'd be pretty set.

3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

That's quite a dream you have there

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Mims should be more worried about beating out Jeff Smith than Davis. Smith plays STs and offers value as the 5th WR which means absent injury it will be very hard for Mims to dress on Sundays. His path to playing time and being on the active roster likely begins with an injury assuming of course he makes the team.

Although in Mims defense if he stays healthy this will be his first healthy off season and training camp. He had a horrific offseason last year losing 20lbs, never getting back to feeling normal and getting far behind everyone else on the mental side from missing so much. But, even if things go perfectly for him he is in bad spot being the 5th WR who contributes nothing on ST.

#4 Noam, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Mogriffjr likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he didn't leave, we just didn't resign him. berrios basically took his job and also plays special teams. we have a known top 4 WRs so the spots 5-6 are open and special teams will factor in. I hope mims revives his career. if he could that would be huge for us depth wise but i'm not expecting it

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I believe that's what JD is thinking as well. It wouldn't cost too much to keep Cole, but he is not ready to move on from his 2nd ever pick, especially given Mims came in shape, etc... I get it from his perspective, but as a fan - there is a lot of unknowns at WR right now. JD was really high on GW, he was by far their #1 WR, I am just wondering if this is good enough, considering last year we had no one towards the end of the year, and now it's the same room, but with rookie GW instead of Crowder AND Cole. I hope JD is right.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My allegiance is also to Vegas ..so that's fine by me

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

No big loss here at all. Mims has been a disappointment but he doesn’t have to improve that much to get to the level that Keelan Cole was at last year. The receiver room is not even the top three of my list of rooms I’m worried about.

The Corey Davis hate is also pretty insane. He had a few bad drops and he absolutely should catch shit for that but if he had stayed healthy he probably would be looked at as quite an asset in a room that has two young hopefully stud receivers already in it. He’s also a fantastic blocker so he is going to see regular snaps as he should. If you are heading into the season with Corey Davis as your third best receiver then you had a pretty damn good offseason.

mrmajix, PJ4Ever, apjbfc and 4 others like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

His drops were absolutely brutal. Instead of healthy gains he caused quite a few TOs. Then got hurt for half a season. WR and Tackle rooms are the ones I am worried about the most right now. Just remembering how Zach had no options at WR at all big part of the year. And Tackle is very worrisome. Think of where we would be without Moses last year. Now Moses is gone and we have Max to replace him. Another big IF.

11. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Didn’t see the need to resign him based off his number last year and the younger guys we have that could easily produce that if not better plus BB coming back GL Cole

FJF likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Not really. davis is a proven solid WR2, berrios is a proven WR4 borderline low end WR3, moore is at worse a WR2 but has WR1 potential and wilson was the top WR in the draft with WR 1 potentail I think we are good for a top 4. it's after that things get muddy but most teams aren't 4 deep at WR anyway so we are ahead of the curve

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Davis was brutal last year dude and he deserved every bit of flack he caught. One of his question marks coming over to the Jets was his ability to separate but he was always a good contested catch receiver in the short to intermediate range.

To think he’s our third best receiver is very optimistic although if everything works out with the kids, he should be. I think it’s easy to expect a better year out of Davis because it can’t be worse.

Lon Chaney, Borat and Brook! like this.
  14. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

At this point Berrios is the most consistent receiver we have on the roster. I expect a big year out of him if he stays healthy.

Lon Chaney and K'OB like this.
  15. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

No Biggie on Cole, we do need something for the 5th/6th spot as I expect one of smith/mims to not make the roster.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Its a no brainer to keep Mims over Cole, neither are likely to be factors but at least Mims has some semblance of upside

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It should be a big upgrade from Cole, who got the most snaps of all Jets WRs last year, to whoever gets the most snaps this year. Essentially Cole was our number one wideout last year. Hard to believe.

That being said after last year I really hope someone steps up for the 5th WR slot this year. Hopefully, they won't be needed but after the last two years of injuries I have little faith that the 5th wideout will not be forced to get a lot of snaps.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Cole is a talented WR but he and Zach couldn't develop any chemistry and IMO Cole blamed Zach for it. Too many eye rolls after bad passes, and seemingly everyone knew he wasn't going to resign with us. Our WR room was decent going into last season but ham stringed by injuries and Mims lack of development. I don't think our top 4 are any better than last season but our TEs and backs will be.

Nyjets4eva and Jets79 like this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Corey Davis should (and probably will) be our leading WR this season. Moore and Wilson are too young / inexperienced to be our #1. Next year or the yr after maybe, but not this year.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m also super concerned about injury risk at WR and OT…

Lon Chaney likes this.