Observations on 2022 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by westiedog1, Apr 29, 2022.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

A couple of strange moves in this draft.

1. Travon Walker at #1. Don't think he's the best Edge in this draft.
    2. Derek Stingley at #3. Good for us, leaving Gardner to the Jets.
    3. Kenny Pickett to Steelers at #20. Being the only QB selected is one thing, the other is I think Willis is a better talent, maybe a bit raw, but a greater upside with incredible arm strength.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep ....lotsa things I just don't get

But each team must grade out differently..Walker sack production no where near Hutch for example so I wonder

Biggest mystery is how 15 damn teams passed on JJ before we shimmy back into First to get him at 26?? And he's top 10 talent? Very strange

Why?

blackssmagic, boozer32 and westiedog1 like this.
  3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'd have to say the WR run is what caused JJ to fall. Much to our glee... Reminded me of Draft Day...ole' Beau Callahan sweating the fall! lol

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he had red flags. older prospect, 1 year of production, poor GPA couldn't get into college. karlaftis also fell almost out of the 1st. I think many felt it was a deep edge class and after the top 3 you could get value later so WRs and CBs were over drafted. 9 edges went in round 2

5. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

JJ dropping was surprising.

Thought for sure Gardner would be the first cb off the board.

Didn’t see London being taken before 10 or before Wilson.

I like JJ, but he’s 23... I preferred Karlaftis who has not played much football and is just 20. I think his upside is higher but floor is lower vs JJ.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Edges were definitely a bit over-rated and as a result over-drafted this year. However they were nowhere near as over-rated as the QB's last year and so nobody made a really foolish trade up high in the 1st to get one.

I think the Jacksonville pick reeked of "we're smarter than everybody else" but then again a bunch of analysts liked Travon also despite the fact that he clearly was not a top 10 prospect.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think it was the 1 year wonder argument with JJ. Nothing else really adds up.

Jojo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So my vow this year is not to project too much until we have 6 weeks of actual games in the books.

That said, it is not that unusual for a grown man to dominate college athletes who may be more on the Baby Huey side of the ledger. I think that is one of the factors that led to a lot of teams letting JJ slide. A 22 year old man who has been in the college weight room for 3 years is significantly stronger than an 18 or 19 year old adjusting to the college game. They probably have more strength than a lot of the 20 year olds out there.

9. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

i honestly believe that jj fell because of the phenomenon of teams needs not matching the prospect. the same thing happened to aaron rodgers when he was drafted, contender for number 1 but fell to 24.

10. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

There was a lot of depth in this draft at WR and DE. There was a lot more need around the league at WR, especially given the crazy money they're fetching in FA. If you feel the Rd 2 DE you can get will be almost as good as the Round 1 DE, you wait. When everyone starts to think that, the Rd 1 DEs slide.