General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

If he was John Voight starring with Dustin Hoffman in 1969. I think you meant 'Dallas Buyers Club', haha.

Don't sweat it. This was a gazillion years ago and I was really tired - I'm talking REALLY tired - but now I have to tell it.

I was hanging with a friend of mine in the T-bone Diner in Forest Hills. What a dump.
    He was talking about James Joyce just as my eyes started to glaze over. We were drinking burnt coffee and I was exhausted. "Yeah, yeah, 'O'Flannery's Funeral', whatever."

We both spit out that burnt coffee waiting for our food right after I said it. It's not as if I hadn't read it. It's 'Finnegan's Wake'.

EDIT: Haha, what a surprise!

https://patch.com/new-york/foresthills/diner-shutters-due-rats-flies-after-decades-service-doh

#881 jetophile, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    JackBower likes this.
  2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Lol yea I mix those names up all the time! My parents actually showed me Midnight Cowboy many years ago.

jetophile likes this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'll do you one better and then I'll stop because I don't want to derail the thread. Years ago some relatives of mine took their grandkids to the local McDonald's. The 70's were a weird time, man.

Back then they would do these promotions or whatever they were (and also for kids parties) and the McDonald's characters would be there. Ronald McDonald, Grimace, the Hamburglar, Mayor McCheese, etc. Personally I thought it was creepy as Hell.

The one grandma gets home and said yep the kids had fun they saw Rudy McDoody. The other grandma gets home and said yep the kids had fun they saw Rowdy McDowdy. It was goddamn Ronald McDonald. I guess it was a Howdy Doody mashup? OK, I'm done.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Saw CODA last night - really excellent feel-good coming-of-age movie. Very deserving of its Oscar win. Troy Kotsur was fine, but I didn't really see what the super hype (Oscar, BAFTA, SAG, and Critics Choice award wins) was about. I was actually much more impressed with the star of the movie, Emilia Jones, who was absolutely brilliant with very little fanfare (BAFTA nomination and that's it). It was a "Ryan Gosling learning to play piano for La La Land" situation, as she spent nine months before the start of filming becoming expert in American Sign Language and also learning to operate a fishing trawler. Pretty impressive for someone who was 17 at the time. She's got a great voice, too. Highly recommended.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Nice! I don't have Apple TV + but I may have to subscribe just to watch it. I felt bad for CODA since literally no one talked about it winning Best Picture due to everyone being focused on Will Smith.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Headed out today to see Dr. Strange. Hope its not just another time killer. Passed on the 3D option as I usually do.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

3D option almost always gives me headaches of the migraine variety.

It's not healthy to force each eye to see different parts of the screen artificially delineated.

We evolved to put together two images into a coherent whole but the differences in the images were only slightly spatial. Adding color and artificial depth to the equation is harmful.

The Dark Knight and REVISion like this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Hope you enjoy it. Coming attractions look good. Are you taking mom?

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Really curious to get thoughts on Dr. Strange. Heard it's like a horror movie

10. Cman68

Well boyz, it wasn't the best nor the worse MCU movie to date. Dr. Strange II had great albeit heavy handed CGI at times and the plot itself was hard to follow unless you were a seriously immersed Dr. Strange Nerd. Character development was just ok. This new habit of turning former Avengers into villains will eventually be the downfall of the MCU as they're not replacing them with new heroes that have staying power. You will see a few familiar faces in the movie and a new one as well. They definitely set up Dr. Strange III at the end so stay past the credits.

If you want a quick peek in the new Doc Strange, take a look at the Disney+ "What If" and pick the Doc and Agent Carter. All in all, a long tedious effort with IMO, too much CGI. Honestly? I liked the first one much better along with the Avengers episodes too regarding Doc. Doc II just might give you an attack of vertigo as they went full "Inception" on many scenes. Do the 3D at your own risk..

Again, not the best MCU movie by any stretch but as a gap filler, it will suffice

BTW, the new Thor doesn't look impressive at all in the trailers. Might as well wait for GotG III.

#890 Cman68, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
  11. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Strange 2, but part of that is my wife LOVES Wanda/Scarlet Witch, who is great in this film. As someone who didn't like Strange 1 at all, this was a lot more fun for me. I do think the MCU is getting to the point where if you haven't stayed up to date with all the movies, people are going to become less interested in going. Only the "hardcore" will continue watching. As of now, my family is one of those.

As someone who has enjoyed everything Taika Waititi has done, and really enjoyed Thor's story in IW/EG, I'm excited for Love and Thunder.

12. Cman68

Took wifey. Movie was ok. Popcorn was great! :)

13. Cman68

I thought Wanda was made to be Uber powerful. If she had that kinda power in Endgame, Thanos would have never stood a chance against her. Lets hope the MCU Superhero turnover starts to produce better villains and heroes.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I really liked Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness. More than @Cman65 did. Scarlett Witch was amazing. Elizabeth Olsen has done a great job in that role. She looked gorgeous in it too. Also, Wanda really is that powerful. That was established in Endgame. She almost beat Thanos herself. Now she has enhanced her powers with the Darkhold and lost the sense of reality and reason. It made sense.

America Chavez was fine. Doctor Strange was cool and seeing the different versions of him was fun. Nice seeing Rachel McAdams back too.

It definitely feels like a Sam Raimi movie, more than it feels like an MCU Movie, but it still feels like both. I enjoyed the horror elements.

The cameos and the first bonus scene were pretty cool too.

I do agree with @phubbadaman that you need to be fully dialed in to the MCU to properly enjoy the film. You needed to see Doctor Strange, Infinity War, End Game, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Wanda Vision, etc to fully grasp it all. That is asking a lot from the audience. Many do watch it all though, so it is fine.

It made $185 million this weekend. That is remarkable. Doctor Strange is not even that big of a comic book character. It shows you how big Marvel and the MCU truly is right now.

15. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Did you see WandaVision? Basically, between Endgame and DS2, she unlocked her full powers, plus she studied the Darkhold to gain even more power. And she was already arguably the most powerful (I think in Endgame Captain Marvel was strongest, although it was close).

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Went to see top gun 2 last night, wasn't keen but actually really enjoyed it.

SPOILER ALERT

America saved the day again but nothing knew there as it is a movie and not real life :D:D:D

Great plane action it has to be said.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Seen a trailer for the new Thor movie, my god, is that how low they have sunk the marvel franchise.

Awful looking premise, I am not a fan of all these superhero movies it has to be said but this was something else altogether.

REVISion likes this.
  18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I watched it with my 2 teenage boys. I enjoyed it more than them. Honestly I wasn't expecting it. I give it 9.0 out of 10.

Americans always save the day while you guys are busy saving your precious Queen. Boo!

K'OB likes this.
  19. Cman68

Loved the movie. So much that I came home and just finished watching TG I to fill in some of the background... I am curious as to what was the prototype hypersonic aircraft he was testing..

REVISion and K'OB like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At the risk of being a geek, Wanda was on the nerve of ass-raping Thanos at the end of Endgame when he had the cannons open on her from his ships.

Some day I'll be able to cash in points for knowing that shit.

The Dark Knight and Cman68 like this.