Key

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, May 5, 2022.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Being a new member here I thought it would be fun to share a quick story with some fellow Jets fans. So I lived out in LA for about 4 years and a good buddy of mine was a member of the Calabasas Country Club, and invited me to play one particular weekend. On a side note, Beautiful course for my fellow golf lovers.

Anyway, we grab a coupe drinks at the club house, and who do I see but former Jet Pro Bowler Keyshawn Johnson. Key was sitting with a business associate/friend I would assume and was minding his own business. Not one to over impose by nature, I figured being that I'm in a fancy golf resort maybe I could perhaps get away with a quick hello and a handshake. After a few pops I felt good enough to respectfully utter "Hey Keyshawn, if Vinny doesn't blowout his achilles Jets would have made it to the Super Bowl in 99", which he politely smiled and waved back.

He's asked if I was a Jets fan which I answered yes I am, and that one of my favorite all time games was the AFC Divisional Game in Jan 1999 against the Jags which he did everything but throw a touchdown pass. He then mentioned how if Parcells hadn't stepped down how things would have been dramatically different, and that he enjoyed his time in NY outside of Kotite lol. He also quickly mentioned that Gruden is a huge tool as well lol, but he loves him some Parcells. Key, was really cool in our brief interaction. I also congratulated him on his after football career and told him he was doing a great job on ESPN Radio.

Even though he had a 4 year career with the Jets he's still one of my all time favorite Jet players. The hype that came with Key being the last number one pick as a receiver in the draft, and the fact that he was a tough, physical receiver who could and was willing to block, and clutch as hell should not be forgotten. My brother who is a life long Dolphin fan and I use to go at it. I use to enjoy when Key would eat up Sam Madison in coverage and the Jets owning the Dolphins from 1998-2001. Good memories. Anyway, nice guy Key is and perhaps a slightly underrated player in NFL history.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a cool guy …… nice experience.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Nice story. I'd make an argument that the Super Bowl drought wouldn't be a thing if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot in Denver. The Falcons were ripe for picking that year.

4. JETFUEL1580

You know that first half against Denver we were only up by 10, but I had a horrible feeling that the Broncos were gonna come on strong. It was just a horrible feeling like something bad is gonna happen and well yeah the second half. But you're right the Falcons with our team were beatable for sure especially compared to the Vikes. 1998 was such a great season.

5. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

The good old days. Vinny's phantom touchdown directly responsible for instant replay.

Now that is a point worthy of its own thread...is the game better or worse for instant replay?

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  6. JETFUEL1580

Good point. The "Helmet Touchdown" was a gift from the heavens lol

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I used to not like Keyshawn when he was still playing and acting immature, but I have liked him mostly during his broadcast career.

And he will always hold a special place in my heart for trying to kick the shit out of Justin Bieber.

stinkyB likes this.
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

What is this about? Is there a video?

Noam likes this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

The type of threads we welcome during offseason. :) Thanks for sharing man.

Noam likes this.
  10. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

We don't often get many

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

pfft...

You don't hear me bragging about when I had sex with Mark Sanchez.

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Start a thread!

Noam and Acad23 like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Good idea... but it wouldn't stand a fact-check. :confused:

Love ya @Brook!

Brook! and Noam like this.
  14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember a story some 10 years ago about Bieber driving like a maniac in the LA neighborhood/gated community they share.

Key had to chase him down and give him a stern talking to.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  15. mrjet80

Who knows what would of happened but my gut tells me if they made it that far Parcells would of found a way to beat the Vikings too.

16. mrjet80

you’re right that was supposed to be the Jets year. But you’re wrong about the drought….it would be 24 years since our last SB!! Grrrr

LOL

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  17. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Remember that game well, probably over 5k Jet fans traveled to Denver, everyone
    was pumped when the Falcons score was announced, very windy day, when the 2nd half
    kickoff hit the wind and dropped straight down for a Broncos recovery, then it went downhill:(:(:(

westiedog1 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  18. JETFUEL1580

I remember hearing this as well. I think this was about a decade ago when the Bieb's turn into a massive douche. Key scolding him was hilarious.

19. JETFUEL1580

Yes damn good memory and call. I forgot about that. In all fairness I've come to accept that the Broncos were just the better team and were destined to win. They were at one point I believe 13/14 and 0, Elway missed a good few weeks of the season and the team didn't miss a beat, and most importantly they had the league MVP and 2,000 yard rusher in Davis. Now again I said I've come to accept it cause that Jets team was so complete overall. but yeah bad luck did appear for our jets in that second half. Would have thought it was voodoo or something.

20. JETFUEL1580

Many that Vikings team with Moss. Cunningham under threw Moss if memory serves correct in one decisive drive and Andersen missed an easy chip in and he had not missed a field goal all season to that point lol. It would have been a fun Super Bowl for sure, and a lot more enjoyable then the one we actually witnessed lol, but Aaron Glenn and the secondary would have had their hands full for sure with that receiver lineup.