Do you think Saleh kept his promise to Zach?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 3, 2022.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think they've done just about as well as a team as historically bad as the Jets possibly could. Without market resetting deals, they just wont be able to bring in blue chip elite players.

When it comes to the draft, I think Joe D has done everything he can to put Zach in a situation to succeed. Obviously the 2020 draft is looking bad, but at least he attempted to invest in the offense.

In his three drafts, Mike Maccagnan invested roughly 949.6 draft value points into ten offensive players. (QB's excluded)

In JD's three drafts, he has invested 5,405 draft value points into 11 offensive players. Basically five times as much draft capital (QB excluded).

Now obviously this is an inexact science. Without going through and adding it all up, I assume Mac didnt have as much capital to play with. But its pretty striking how much Joe D has attempted to put into the offense.

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

At one time or another Sam Darnold was considered the best QB prospect to emerge from the college ranks since Andrew Luck. So much so that the NY Jets actually tanked a season to put themselves into position to draft him. Unlike Luck, who was able to turn around a 4-12 team in one season, Darnold struggled to get victories on a team that had depleted its roster of talent in order to procure him. After three years of FO, CS negligence and malpractice, the Jets found themselves in a position to draft "someone better" than Darnold and took advantage by drafting Wilson. Despite the fact that the Jets upgraded almost every aspect of the team, Wilson actually performed worse in his rookie year than Darnold in his. Now, going into year 2 of the Wilson era, the Jets have even more talent to distribute among the roster after a wildly successful draft. So the answer is definitely "yes." JD, in my opinion, has done his part. There is plenty of talent on this team now. Wilson does not have to be Andrew Luck, but has to show justification for his #2 overall selection.

Late edit: Saleh's promise to Wilson isn't worth much unless his coaching improves as well.

#22 westiedog1, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Cman68 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Zach certainly had his growing pains last year and that was to be expected. Lets remember that even though I do like the kid a lot and happy we took him second overall, it's not like Zach was Trevor Lawerence. He didn't have this extensive college career where he was under the microscope, and looked like a star in the making. In fact the prior season before his breakout he was splitting time with another QB at BYU. Zach flew up the draft charts to the surprise of many, but has the tools/athletic ability to be special. I hope he takes the next step obviously but it's gonna on him to show it. Some of his short throws especially in critical situations were pitiful. Saleh and LaFleur surely need to get better as well going forward and I think they will. A lot to be excited about and I think the organization has shown they are doing everything they can to uplift Zach.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Clearly he did. He has made a major investment in the offense. It didn't all happen immediately because things were so bad it was bound to take time, but in two offseasons he has transformed this unit out of all recognition.

Noam likes this.