Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 2, 2022.

?

Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff quality team?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean the team WILL make the playoffs, but that is has enough quality to make it.

fansince90 likes this.
  2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This team is currently structured for no excuses this season, tons of weapons on offense, OL is much improved, defense got some key piece's, they'll be no excuses for another season of failure.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Depends on what year you're talking about.

Also, while they might be able to win enough games to qualify for a p.o. spot, does that really make them a legit contender? Not in my book. They need to win at least 7 games this season to provide the winning experience - and the lessons from losses - to enable them to learn how to be a consistent p.o. contender.

4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

CC, couldn't agree more. Indeed, they need to be consistent on both sides of the ball and be able to execute week in and week out. IMHO, unless there are catastrophic injuries, they should be competitive with any team. So no excuses, please.

5. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I think we're now built to be in a very good spot not this year, next year.

Just saying I'm so happy with this current draft, after last year and having this young team be in year 2+3 next season that they should be aiming for the top.

This year, I just want to be shown we're turning into a dynamic team.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

fansince90, Seneca, Pepsiguy5 and 5 others like this.
  6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Doubt it. The AFC is loaded this year. Until the Jets show improvement on the field they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. My best case scenario is 8-9 wins if everything goes right. But they will still fall short of the playoffs.

fansince90, PJ4Ever, Seneca and 8 others like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I voted no. too much youth and uncertainly, not a lot of givens. we have tons of potential but the stars would need to align for us to be a playoff team. on paper though we have a bright future

fansince90, york61, Seneca and 7 others like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

They can contend for a WC spot if Zach improves to middle of the pack QB. That would be a significant upgrade over last year.

Playing meaningful games after Halloween would be a welcome sight after the last few seasons.

9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I said yes. It is constructed well enough but the only thing we lack is experience playing together. Last year the o-line played terrible the first half of the season, then they improved with experience playing together the second half. Most playoff teams have been under the same system for at least 3-4 years. Take Buffalo, they weren't great under McDermott his first year or even his second year, but got better & better each year.

10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Allen also showed noticeable improvement from year 1 to year 2. He wasn't great but he definitely improved his game. It wasn't until year 3 (two years ago) when his game took off and now he is one of the best QB's in the game. At the very least Wilson has to show the kind of improvement that Allen showed from year 1 to 2. I hope he does better but he at least has to show he has the "it" factor.

Jojo, PJ4Ever, Seneca and 2 others like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Do they have the quality? Yes. Will they? It is unlikely. Our division and conference is stacked. Put the Jets in the NFC and a playoff birth is reasonable.

Keep in mind this is a really young team that will have 10 to 12 new starters this year. There will be a lot of growing pains learning the system, learning to play together and learning to win. None of this will happen overnight. 6 to 7 wins would be a good improvement. But, a better measuring stick might be how competitive we are each week and how much the team improves over the course of the season.

We could easily go 6-5 or 7-4 out of division and still go 0-6 in our division. Progress to me would be winning 1 to 2 division games and not being last in the division.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I voted no. There’s too much uncertainty around this team to say that it’s one for sure IMO.

However, I will say there are a few “if’s” that you could throw in there that would change my vote.

If Zach becomes an average+ QB…
    If Breece Hall comes in ready to roll…
    If the Defense comes together and becomes a top 10-15 unit…
    If Mekhi Becton snaps back into his 2020 form or improves…

And quite frankly just the fact that we have some “if’s” that makes the question posed by the OP a little murky, gives me a ton of hope for 2022 and beyond.

#12 KY Jets Fan, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Noam likes this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The way you worded the question, I think @BudJet nailed it. Time doesn’t change construction.

If you were going to build a team, would it be constructed of?

If someone told you 3 years ago they were going to rebuild the Jets O by doing the following what would your reaction be?

OC - Someone clever and innovative

OL - 2 1st round rookies and a pro bowler
    QB - #2 overall pick rookie
    WR - 2 rookies with 1st round talent and a capable vet in a manageable contract
    RB - 2 rookies with gamebreaking capabilities each considered among the top of their class
    TE - 2 solid vets and the top rookie in the most recent class

PJ4Ever, Altoona4 and Noam like this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Where is the tape of that Coach saying over and over "Playoffs?? Playoffs? " ahaha

Gimme a 2 game winning streak and falling off the chair happy tbh

The Mania on this board continues

Noam likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Barring an unlikely situation in which Zach becomes a top 10 QB, this is not a playoff team.

Seneca likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think we should considered as favorites for play-offs even after this draft. We have a lot of rookies and second year players. This explains why JD went after quality this year and not added 9-10 guys in the draft plus UDFAs, but only 7 plus UDFAs. There is still a lot of youth here, however talented, there will be growing pains.

Also, even on offense there are some question marks. Let's start with WR. We replaced Crower and Cole with rookie GW. While he is perhaps most pro ready, he is still a rookie, and very few rookies go for 1000 yards. I am still concerned about Moore's ability to stay healthy to Davis to have a good season. Other teams have proven 1000+ yards receivers already, some multiple ones. Our WR room is not terrible, but I would like it to be better. I doubt it will instill fear on the opponents' hearts the way it is now.

Sticking with offense, Tackle is weaker than last year. Last year we started Moses. He is gone, now a starter for Ravens, and I am not confident Becton can last a whole year. I am also not sure about Fant repeating last year, which was average for a starting LT and he needs to stay healthy too. Max was a nice addition, but he is a 4th round pick and is not the same level as Moses. We need more. It's great that we got Pro Bowl guard, but we still need LDT back, and T is a more important position where we are a likely injury away from being fucked.

On defense, we made some strides at CB and Edge, but S, LB, interior DT are still not great. We replaced Maye with Whitehead, and are hoping Joyner can play, plus Pinnock, and a few others, but again this group is very similar to last year, just sub Whitehead for Maye. Need to add there too. We also lost Fatukasi, who is a good player without really any replacement.

Overall, to me this is still a rebuilding season. I do expect to win about 8 games, double of last year and not be out of play-off hunt by the Columbus Day as usual. We would need to get very lucky with few injures and Zach to take a Burrow/Mahomes like leap to do better than that. If do win 8 games or so, even without play-offs, and Zach looks good, I think we can make out really well in free agency next year, as players would want to come here, without the Jets tax. Another draft, and current youth getting experience, and we should be ready to compete for play-offs and beyond in 2023.

#16 Borat, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
  17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The talent is playoff quality, but there is still a ton of youth and ultimately QB is a question. It would not shock me for the Jets to make the playoffs but I suspect they won’t make a real SB push until next year, even if a lot of these picks pan out well

18. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

I vote yes, if they can built off of all the positives from the end of last season. However, a glaring weakness is on the perimeter at the second level. Teams are going to expose the Jets linebackers in the flats much like how they did last season. If the Jets can’t stop it then they aint goin nowhere

19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Our team will get better as the year progresses. I think a big factor might be when we get our easier games. If we can start of with some cupcakes like the Bears, the Jags and the Fins (fuck the fins) that might shorten the learning curve and put us in a position to hit our stride late in the season. We might become the team that no one wants to face in the playoffs.

20. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Good question, but I think they need another year or two of seasoning before we can look at them and say playoff contenders.

That's not saying they can't make the playoffs, it's definitely possible.

FJF, papapump, Noam and 1 other person like this.