Expectations for the Jets Rushing Attack in 2022

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 2, 2022.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Over the course of the last 3 off-seasons, Joe Douglas has gone to work via free agency and the draft to build what I believe could be a top 10 rushing attack in 2022.

The offensive line has 4 returning starters and all 5 have at least 1 year of experience in this offensive system. It includes 3-4 players who are capable of pro bowl caliber seasons, 2 veterans and 1 rookie tight end who are effective in the receiving game and blocking game, AND we have drafted to supreme talents in back to back drafts in Michael Carter and Breece Hall.

On top of all of that, we run an extremely effective system that is known for its dominance on the ground.

All of that being said, what are your expectations for the 2022 Rushing Attack?

KY Jets Fan, Savatage and K'OB like this.
  2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Expectations is that we have a 1-2 punch for at least the next 3 years.

Hope they are both able to prolong each others careers and do what Hunt and Chubb have done with the browns in having a 1-2.

Better we can run that ball, the 'less' Zach has to do.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

PennyandtheJets and K'OB like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We need a healthy run game for a few reasons... #1 is to take pressure off our 2nd year qb.

We ranked like 27th last season... it will be a big leap to get to top ten.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Ideally, both the running game and Zach improve to the point where defenses have to watch out for play action and runs either inside or outside the tackles.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If Becton returns turn to form and they put him at Rt tackle our run game will be dominant.

6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

it'll be more consistent than last yeAR

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

hall is the 1st back we've had in a long time that can breakaway. he's a perfect 1 cut back for the system. reminds me of a faster bell with his patience to hit the hole. I would like to see more urgency in his run style though his film speed doesn't match his combine so it doesn't seem like he's going all out every play. he does have blocking and catching ability too he's a complete back. him and carter make a nice pair. would like to see knight win the RB4 job. coleman is likely gone after this season

PennyandtheJets, Noam and NoodleArm like this.
  8. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

This is so spot on. Hall really does have the talent/foundation to be an all-pro back. Really expect a dramatic improvement over the past few years (barring any major injuries). If there isn't a dramatic improvement, then we can be sure that MLF just can't cook.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I predict it will be the best it's been in years - although that's a very low bar. One of the things that crippled Sam's development and hurt Zach's last year was the lack of a consistent running threat. This was especially bad under Gase. The "run game" consisted of the obligatory run on 1st down, usually for no gain to 2 yards gained, thus setting up 2nd down as almost a passing down which defenses had no troubling in reading and shutting down. Way too much pressure on a young QB to overcome. We need to produce 3rd and 3 yards on a consistent basis so that the defense really doesn't know what the next play will be with such certainty.

PennyandtheJets and Noam like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

well hall was a MLF pick. he's the one who wanted him.
    he also did really well despite injuries, rookie QB, and lack of options. even with 3rd and 4th string Qbs our offense moved well last year. As long as the o-line and RBs and TEs and WRs get demolished with injuries, I think our offense will be good. D might need another year. we are weak at LBer and DT currently but maybe sherwood fixes the LBer spot?

12. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Hall and Carter. Reminds me of Snell and Boozer. A great one two combo. That's what I grew up seeing.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

In 2021, we had 22.4 rushing attempts per game, which was last in the NFL. Michael Carter had between 3 and 16 attempts in each game.

The #1 team was Tennessee, with 32 attempts per game.

Obviously, some of our low attempt numbers resulted from playing out of a hole in the 2nd half. But this year, I'd like to see us get to the top of the NFL in attempts per game. We have a line well suited to run -- Becton excels in run blocking. PFF ranked Tomlinson 8th among left guards in run blocking last year. Our new TEs are solid run blockers. Our RBs should be able to find huge running lanes on the left side of the line. I would like to see us get up to Tennessee's level in rushing attempts. If we can get 30+ per game, and split most of that between Carter and Hall (once Hall gets his sea legs), that's playing to our strength. It also gets Carter significantly more attempts per game than what he got last year, so that should keep him happy, and Hall will get a huge amount of carriers for a rookie if he's up to the task. That will take a lot of pressure off our young receivers and QB.

Of course, our defense needs to keep us out of the big holes. But our offensive scheme should shift heavily toward the run this year. The pendulum can move back toward the pass once Zach, G. Wilson et al become the franchise players we know they can become.

14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If you think Becton has 1 year experience in this system, we define experience differently.

That being said, we’re set up to be a top 5 rushing team.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

At Third and 2 or 3 I expect us to be able to pick up a couple of first downs without Wilson throwing the rock

I mean can we keep the goals simple for now???

16. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

A solid ground game will keep the offense on the field longer keeping the defense fresher. The defense for the last few years has spent too much time on the field. It's time we put the opposing teams defense on the field longer. Potentially this new running attack can achieve this.