Hey Big Ticket? Got a message for ya from Da Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, May 1, 2022.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

https://nypost.com/2022/04/30/mehki-becton-faces-uncertain-future-with-jets-after-pivotal-draft/

Soon as that baby comes, he should be booking a flight to Jersey. In fact, Baby Huey might want to consider moving his girl and new baby to Jersey so he can actually be a football player AND a family man. The Boss just sent him a not so subtle message as you read in the thread. Not sure if Becton can read between the lines but its pretty obvious what the message was..

"Get you ass up here and go to work!"

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm going to buy you a Becton poster for your bedroom wall. There's something going on there.

KingRoach, apjbfc, FJF and 2 others like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Still kind of feels like this guy will be on another team in the fall.

4. Cman68

The only place that poster would fit is presently occupied with a 77" OLED. :)

blackssmagic and Acad23 like this.
  5. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

That moment from Saleh was fascinating. In these pressers, Saleh is typically so calculated to avoid saying anything negative, and he's extremely supportive of his players even when there's room to complain. Maybe this moment was the product of a guy not getting enough sleep during draft weekend (and he seems to have a cold), but he was more candid than normal in lightheardedly calling Becton out.

I've been pretty forgiving of Becton's flaws. I don't feel we have enough info to blame him for how long his injury has taken to heal, so I have been giving him the benefit of the doubt. I know that anyone can struggle to stay disciplined on eating -- especially someone who was probably encouraged to keep gaining weight his entire life -- so I am patient on his weight issues. I am willing to write off his twitter crap as immaturity that doesn't affect his playing. But it is inexcusable not to show up for your team, especially when they invested huge capital in you and you missed all of last year. If the GF is about to pop, then thank goodness the Wright bros. invented airplanes that can get you home on very short notice when the moment arrives. (I went through something similar when my wife was pregnant with our first child, and it never occurred to me not to be where my job needed me until the moment I absolutely had to be back home.) There is simply no excuse for not showing up when your team needs you and you have been a question mark for the last year.

I'm not giving up on him, but he isn't making this easy.

SOJAZ, blackssmagic, mrmajix and 2 others like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Again, Becton does not seem to fit the "All Gas No Brake" mantra that the Jets have now, but it is not his fault. He was drafted when the Jets mantra was "Crazy Eyes Lose Games". He is still adjusting to the change.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's apparent that at least up until now Becton hasn't received and understood all the signals sent his way, but Saleh's comment was as close as you could get to: "Get your ass here or risk you career". It's clear that Douglas and Saleh want players who WANT to be on the team and part of the team, and those types of players would be there even if they can't play or take part in drills. They'd want to be surrounded by their teammates and helping to support them as well as receiving support. That Becton remains apart from all that is the biggest reason I think they're going to move on from him as soon as they practically can, unless he shocks us all and shows up ready to rock and roll 100% - but I doubt he will.

egelband, IIMeanDeanII, SOJAZ and 5 others like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I kind of took Saleh's comments as a hey we were really really close to drafting Icky and saying goodbye to you but I pushed for Sauce intead so get your ass in here and repay my faith in you.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the 5th year option is decided by the team before the beginning of the players 4th season.

Picking up that option guarantees the players contract for both the 4th and 5th seasons, with the 5th season obviously being a bigger dollar amount.

This 2022 season is so critical to the future for Becton, both professionally and financially.
    It's his last chance to show the team they should continue investing valuable resources into him.
    That he can be their OT of the future.

Come in overweight, get nagging injury issues as result, and you can bet the team will not want to guarantee that money.

I guess he'd still have his 4th year to prove himself before hitting the open market, but teams may not be willing to dole out big guarantees after 3 spotty years here either.

If i were in Becton's camp, I'd be discussing with him every day how critical this season is.
    Do everything possible to write your own future, and listen to what Saleh is trying to tell you!
    We really need him, so I'm rooting for him.

KingRoach, Lon Chaney and Jets79 like this.
  10. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

He didn’t even notice, he’s too busy calling out Bitch Cimimi and fighting with fans on Twitter.

apjbfc, blackssmagic, mrmajix and 6 others like this.
  11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yeah man, I think he will probably make it through the season but there’s a good chance he’s traded next off-season. You hate to be back in the tackle market, but it’s pretty obvious they don’t like how he’s handling his business

ColoradoContrails, Jets79 and Cman68 like this.
  12. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

If Mekhi's wife is actually expecting his first child by the day then he has IMO a very valid reason to stay home with his family. I understand the need to built a strong bond but that is once in a lifetime event.

13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Saleh had a presser at the end of the year where he called Becton out several times, moreso than his post draft comments. Becton is most certainly on notice.

I agree with giving him a year to figure it out. If it's another year of being AWOL and friction, I imagine he's gone next year.

blackssmagic and Cman68 like this.
  14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Max Mitchell is a message too. IMO he'll be the starting RT if Becton falters.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t know enough about him…is he up for that? This is my concern…I have very little faith in Becton

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Time will tell if he is or not, but he was highly effective in college, projects well to this offensive scheme, and was taken at the top of the 4th round, where you expect to get a player who will be a significant contributor. Will be very interested to see how he's performing during camps and preseason

17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Family comes first. Your girlfriend giving birth comes first. Being there when your kid is born is one thing, but giving your girlfriend/wife the support she needs during a really scary time is important too. It is WAY more important than football. In ten years he won't be an NFL player any more but he will still be a dad. I can't understand how anyone could put football in front of the birth of their child.

KY Jets Fan and Mogriffjr like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not sure why we continue to use the child birth excuse. The OTAS were 2 weeks ago and his girlfriend still hasnt given birth. So he did not in fact miss OTAs for the birth of his child

SOJAZ, blackssmagic, mrmajix and 4 others like this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

i thought I missed something noteworthy in this quote. “ho-hum”…

They been keeping tabs on him down in Dallas, he’s been working out, supportive of his teammates. I think he’s ready to kick ass this season. The brass really could have drafted The tackle at 4 but stuck with their board. Then really only grabbed a tackle in the 3rd moreso for depth purposes and MAYBE as a hedge to Becton. I think they’ve indicated and showed their faith there.

MoWilkBeast and KingRoach like this.
  20. Cman68

Ageed 100%. Becton needs to show up ready to contribute. He's been put on notice by Saleh with that message while looking directly at the camera. Now we'll see if Becton is mature enough to save his career or will he just twitter it away..