Will Deebo Be a Jet (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Apr 25, 2022.

?

Will Deebo be a Jet in 2022?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2022.
  1. Yea

11 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. No

102 vote(s)
    90.3%
  1. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I agree with the valuation of Deebo compared to Hill.

If you play Deebo like he was used in 2021 he won't last too long. If you play him like a "typical" wide receiver, he's very, very good, but not special anymore. I know Hill is older/more speed reliant, but his speed is so otherworldly that I think he'll be able to last a lot longer than people think because even when he loses a step, he'll still be a top speed guy at WR. Different era/position, but think Darrell Green as an example.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What we offered for Deebo wasn't good because we offered 2 players for 2 players. When you trade a star you want more players back then your giving up. It doesn't matter what the points were, it was a terrible offer for the niners.

3. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

It wasn't a king's ransom.
    I can see a FO/CS deciding that it doesn't make sense to have a player who doesn't want to be there. If so, the Jets' offer was reasonable. But clearly the 49ers are comfortable forcing Deebo to stay against his will. That can have broader ramifications, but I think it was wise for JD not to go crazy paying him. When I look at this draft and our free agent signings, I think we have a really good set of weapons for Zach, and I'm not too broken up about not getting Deebo.

ouchy likes this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

1039 points seems like a pretty fair offer. Close to double to what the Bears gave up for Mack, what the Seahawks gave up for Adams and what the Rams gave up for Stafford. Maybe it was not what they offered Hill but Hill has 4 1000 yard seasons and Deebo takes a lot of hits but it was more than Tennessee got for Brown and I would not consider Brown having the injury concerns that Deebo will have. But, one thing to note here is what is the value being offered in trades for players this year has taken a substantial leap over what teams would offer in the past. Gased and Confused did an excellent post a few years ago analyzing all the big trades in recent years Adams, Mack and 2 or 3 others and they all fell in the 400 to 600 point value range. Almost all were identical value. The Stafford trade continued that. But this year with Watson a little above 1800, Hill in the 1100s, Brown close to a 1000 and the Jets offer on Deebo we are seeing a substantial increase. Which given the uncertainty of drafted players as well as teams better able to handle managing the cap makes sense.

#184 Noam, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Borat likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Also, shows that JD will not sell the house, trades seem to be his best skill, we have had some great trades from him.

Adams the best because of what it has led to but getting something back for Cashman was sheer brilliance lol

#185 K'OB, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I didn't want Deebo because he's forcing his way off the team that drafted him for no good reason - one that he's played 2 NFCCG's with, and one superbowl with, in 3 years. It just smelled like bad fish. Now if we'd got Brown for the 10th pick, that would have been a different story.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree with your post in theroy.

But points are just numbers that don't figure into situations very well. There was a lot more value this draft spread across the first 3 rounds compared to most. While our 10th pick was worth X points, in reality the difference between it and a low second was much smaller than most years.

So offering pick 10 plus a 5th for a 2nd and Deebo Samual is an easy pass for the niners. Samual is much better than any replacement available at 10, and their second was much more valuable than our 5th. It doesn't matter what the numbers say, it was lose/lose for the niners.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This reaffirms my belief in Douglas being willing to be aggressive, but not stupid, which I admit I was a little concerned about when we heard the rumors of what was being asked for and supposedly offered. What Douglas offered: the 1 plus the 146 in return for Deebo and SF's 61 was more in line with what I was thinking. I'm so glad he held the line because I think G. Wilson will become at least as good as Samuel.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I wanted Deebo and would have preferred the known NFL player he is than roll the dice on a draft pick, but what's done is done and we move on. I never would criticize a player for trying to better his situation, playing time is very short. You say that he wanted to change "for no good reason" but in reality, his job description changed with the heavy reliance on him to be a running back as well a wide receiver - the beating a running back takes could definitely lead to a shorter career than that of a pure receiver. That's a damn good reason right there and there has been nothing sacrosanct about a contract in any American professional sport for at least fifty years.

KingRoach likes this.