Optimism for the franchise's future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Apr 30, 2022.

1. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Noy bloody likely! You're a legend if you ride with Noy.

Not Sure likes this.
  2. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

3. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Leave it as is.

4. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

What Joe D has done in a few short years is nothing short of remarkable. Albeit most of the folks were excited about now haven’t played a game, his logic is correct in that most of this team was built through the draft. This couldn’t have been easy as the urge to splurge would have/has overtaken a majority of our gm’a previously. And as we’ve seen, it can provide a win here or there in the post season, but sets us back for quite sometime.

If anyone of us bump into Joe D out and about town-or more importantly, Woody- they need to be bought drinks/steaks/whatever. Woody allegedly can be swayed by the fans, and he needs to know that this approach was (is) what the fans want.

Jets79 and Noam like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Spelling matters.... :)

Not Sure likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Fire Saleh and maybe Douglas if it's not an 8 win ,at very least, season imo

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

That's a great take. Kudos.

cval likes this.
  8. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I would say I am cautiously optimistic as well. The offense hinges on a healthy Becton and Zach Wilson taking a huge step forward which is not a given. We will have clarity at the QB position after this year, however, which is a plus.

rscherwin, Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Lets not be too hasty shall we? Takes time to bake a cake. I think they get 2023 to show results. If by next year things aren't producing tangible results, then its time to consider a change in leadership. Even then, the GM stays but the CS walks.

BudJet, rscherwin, cmcm750203 and 5 others like this.
  10. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I am cautious in my optimism and recognize there's a lot of potential that still needs to translate into performance with team climate, familiarity, personal player growth, and scheme,,,, but the comparison with 2020 Offensive skill positions is striking.... I had forgotten how bad the Jets were at each of those positions. Probably the weakest RB room, WR room, and TE in the league all at the same time. And to see not only the quality improvement at each of those positions (QB still the big due-out), but also the depth-- and without breaking the bank-- is an impressive overhaul in 2 years.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Speaking of optimism, I didn't want to start a new thread, but watching the phone call to each player drafted by the team, couldn't help but notice there was nothing but massive positive energy and enthusiasm flowing from JD and Coach Saleh, only to end with a deflating feeling as soon as Woody picked up the phone.
    Woody could use a large dose of renewed enthusiasm himself.

REVISion and Noam like this.
  12. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, they definitely aren't coming for Woody.
    I also noticed that in one of them, Woody asked the player if he could hear all the cheering in the draft room, and then Woody motioned for everyone to start cheering. Dude, don't you realize that the player can watch this later and realize that everyone was only cheering because you told them to? That's kind of a sucky move. Just be honest with people. I think that's what the players like about Saleh and Douglas -- they aren't fake, but just genuinely excited to help these players succeed.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Just to follow up on @IIMeanDeanII ’s post…

Just an insane transformation over a few years. Definitely gives me some optimism for the future of this franchise.

Brook!, rscherwin, Noam and 3 others like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I appreciate your humility in acknowledging that maybe you were too harsh about Wilson. And I understand you're not saying that he's an unqualified success at this point, but at least you can accept that Douglas and Saleh did their homework on him and believe he's the answer. Could they be wrong? Sure. Or more likely, could Wilson get hurt and have his career stalled? Sure, so can any player. But...if he stays healthy, his physical skills, especially his arm talent/quick release, and his commitment to becoming the best, I cannot fathom how he doesn't succeed and become a FQB. I just can't imagine that outcome.

Anyway, I think it's important to acknowledge when people have the honesty to admit when they may have misjudged. Kudos.

15. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

The Jamal Adams trade is looking like quite a masterpiece right now.

16. Stevied9

Stevied9 New Member

I agree with a lot of this post. Douglas has been pretty disciplined and is building things the right away imo. My concern is our run D.. didn't much to address what was a brutal team against the run.

rscherwin likes this.
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Let me be a little cautious in my prediction:

Jets.

The consensus winner in April.
    Proven loser in December.

18. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

The best part of being a Jet fan is I'm never able to distinguish the trolls from the most loyal fans! Completely understand the sentiment. My $.02 - we're contending for the SB in 2023. And looking really good come October. The team no one wants to deal with in January.

19. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

AMEN, if we could have drafted new turf for the practice field, it would have been an A+ pick. Hopefully, we've hired trainers to deal with all the groin and hamstring sh*t that seems to bite us more than other teams.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I wish I were trolling, my friend.