Optimism for the franchise's future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Apr 30, 2022.

1. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Few reasons to be optimistic about the Jets future:
    1. The GM.

The GM has a plan. The GM is capable of executing that plan. The GM and coaching staff are aligned on that plan.

2. Zach Wilson.

Consensus is that the jury is still out. Here's why I'm sold.
      Last year Zach clearly stated that the year's goal was learning. Specifically learning to manage risk/reward. When we see Zach Wilson consistently become Zach from the Tampa game, and blend in Zach from the Tennessee game when situations call for it, we have the best QB on the Jets since Namath. Potentially a top 5 in the NFL.

3. The OL.

If Becton picks up where he left off in 2020, we have one of the league's top Ols. Connor McGovern goes from best in 2020 to worst in 2022. If he's our worst OL, we're in REALLY good shape. Hell of a job by Joe Douglas in 3 years.

4. The RB slot.

I love Carter. Made everyone miss. Good luck to teams trying to stop the run when we add Hall to Carter, and run them in front of this OL. And yeah, both of them are passing game threats.

5. The WRs.

3 guys with sub 4.4 speed. All route runners. Third string CBs will have to guard Wilson, Davis, or Moore. Good luck to them.

Dime CBs will need to guard Braxton Berrios. The same Berrios who was burning Tampa as a #1 WR. Good luck to them

6. Massive TE Improvement

Huge improvement over last year. Getting a key locker room guy from a Bengal team that surprised everyone is huge. And Jeremy Ruckert's family@BeerShot21 might as well replace Fireman Ed. Aren't they living every long time fan's dream!?!
    7. Massive CB improvement

Bryce Hall played above his head at CB1 defending WR1s. Now, he's defending WR2s and WR3s. He will dominate. If Sauce's game translates, we can deal with legit #1 WRs. And DJ Reed is another no joke CB. Let's not forget how good MC2 was defending the slot. He's #4 and Echols is #5. Not bad at all.

8. The DL

Probably most concerned about this, based on not having a run stuffer. Hard to be too down on this unit when we're going to add Lawson and JJ to Quinnen and JFM. Quinnen ain't seeing no more double teams and will be wreaking havoc. And if he is doubled, the other guys will be killing it.

9. CJ Mosely

Let's not forget that we have the smartest MLB in football calling the shots. Perhaps Saleh will let him audible and make the D adaptable.

10. Culture.

There's a powerful culture brewing. And a philosophy behind characteristics that fit the culture. Players who love football, who are high integrity.

11. Recruiting.

The GM and HC are phenomenal recruiters. NYJ is becoming a place where players who fit said characteristics want to play.

12. The foundation IS built

The Jets are building a foundation of youth that fits the culture.

Painting and Furnishing rooms is far easier than tearing down a house and building a new foundation. We're there and it looks rock solid.

13. QB Room.

Zach has someone to learn from in Flacco. Mike White is a FINE 3rd option. Being at Metlife for Cinci was incredible!

14. MLF

If booth Lafleur is who he really is, and he grows as a playcaller in year 2, this is going to be like giving a master chef the keys to top end ingredients. He'll be baking deliciousness.

A true Jet fan's post wouldn't be complete without a concern
    Saleh puts his system above player talent. Evidenced by not allowing Mosely to audible, which he shared after the Tennessee game. If he learns to delegate responsibility, the sky's the limit for this team.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'll have what he's having...

HomeoftheJets, FJF, JETS1116 and 7 others like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Let's sic Brad on this guy.

#3 bicketybam, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    jonnyd, HomeoftheJets, cval and 5 others like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A long list, but mostly concise explanations. A refreshing change from a certain former poster.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Post of the week or the month. I love the write up and agree 100%

If OL is injury free and Zach makes the second year leap, good days are ahead of us.

@Acad23 - 30 days of no alcohol. But Ramadan ends tomorrow. I will send you what I am having next week :)

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If you like optimism listen to Connor Hughes recap of Draft Day 2. His break down of our offense is quite optimistic and he is right I have not seen a Jet offense this loaded since the 1980s. Although 09-10 was loaded but without a QB.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Jets offense -

End of 2020:
    QB Sam Darnold
    RB Frank Gore
    WR B. Perriman
    WR J. Crowder
    WR D. Mims
    TE C. Herndon
    TE R. Griffin

Now:

QB Zach Wilson
    RB Breece Hall
    RB Michael Carter
    WR Elijah Moore
    WR Garrett Wilson
    WR Corey Davis
    TE CJ Uzomah
    TE T Conklin
    TE J Ruckert

I'm just saying... That's fucking crazy.

On paper, we are stacked. Literally. That's not even included the OL overhaul.

barfolomew, SOJAZ, REVISion and 12 others like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Has your stance changed on Wilson?

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He's a question mark still...

I'm very hopeful though. I'm not as concerned about his futuristic outlook as I was pre-draft that year. I feel he showed me something In that Tampa Bay game, with much less talent around him then what he will have this upcoming season.

Everything else has been right on the money so far with JD and Co. plan thus far.

I think It's inspired a little faith, which has spilled over to, Zach Wilson.

I still need to consistently see It but I do think he will with this type of help around him. So, In that regard, yes.

10. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

If Zach is as good as I think he is you guys will be good soon.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The future is always bright. Its the right now we seem to have a lot of problems with over the last decade or so.

cval likes this.
  12. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

I know it's a big ask from someone you don't know, but could you change my screen name to "Not Sure" rather than "Noy Sure"?

I'm an Idiocracy fan.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Welcome to our board my friend. What is your team if you don’t mind me asking.

Not Sure likes this.
  14. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

The Raiduhs. Hah.

But the Jets were my first team as a kid, until Joe's knees crapped out. Then I realized I was more a Joe fan than a Jets fan.

Not here to troll. That's boring. I only troll Raider fans, because they're stupid.

I want Zach Wilson to do well. Except against my team, of course.

Can we swear here? Because I swear a lot.

15. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Most people I know have a childhood team and a forever team. I was actually a Bengals fan when I was little. Became a Jets fan about 25 years ago, long story.
    On a side note I know we have a lot of UK fans, I'm going to London for a bit this summer, any suggestions? You can send me a message to not derail the thread.

Not Sure likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I like the GM a lot…the strategy is coming together.

points 2 and 3 are still big IFs though. To me, the biggest issues I see are:

1. will Zach develop? For all the talk about how he did better after he came back from injury, the stats don’t really show that at all outside of the decrease in picks. It’s a concern.

2. OL play, or more specifically, Becton. I don’t trust him to stay on the field all year. Like at all. And we lost Moses, so our depth is sketchy. It’s a concern.

3. Run defense sucked and I’m not sure how it gets better…would have loved to have kept Foley.

4. LB room is still suspect, though I do like Q may e more than most…

so yes I’m super excited about this draft…looks like JD has second draft in a row, which bodes well for our direction. We still have depth issues but our roster looks so much better…especially if we can keep our guys healthy…if Lawson, Moore, Davis, Carter and Becton can stay on the field, then it’ll all come down to Zach.

but yes, definitely feeling so much better than I would coming out of one of Mac’s drafts…

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets will be a lot of fun in 2022. I think that is a big accomplishment from Joe Douglas. I remember watching in 2020 and thinking how unlikable the roster was. I loved Sam, not much else. Losing is no fun, of course, but nothing felt right on the team. Completely toxic. Now, in only 2 off-seasons, Joe Douglas has brought a lot of young talent to the roster and they truly are likable and fun to watch.

They will be even more fun when they start winning, which I think is closer than we realize. This team should compete this year. They have talked about playing meaningful games in December, but I think they will play meaningful games in January too.

18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

On paper they definitely improved. I do think 8-9 is realistic this year with a shot at competing for a playoff spot. But in the end it will all come down to Wilson. He needs to take the next step as a franchise QB.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think your optimism is perfect if not a year early. NEXT year, 2023, I can see all these great things coming to fruition. For this year, there's just too many important parts that are very young rookies. Tremendous potential. But potential needs time to gain experience. Potential needs games and Training Camps to maximize our potential. Think about it. This time next year we'll all be "Zack made great strides in 2022 and is ready to explode in his 3rd year in the same offense. Garrett Wilson had brilliant games and is ready to put it all together in his 2nd season. Breece Hall and Sauce also had great games, and will string them all together this year playing in year 2"

Stuff like that. Back off a bit and give the new, very young team time to jell. There will real improvement to give us all great hope, but there will alos be other areas of our team that we hope will play better in their 2nd year.

rscherwin and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

You forgot the part about how instead of 63 devastating injuries, we're completely healthy.

But seriously, good show. I laughed. I cheered. Let's do it!

barfolomew likes this.