How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2022.

?

How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

1. A+

104 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. A-/B+

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. C

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. D

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Difference is Kotite sucked with a roster that had talent.
    JD took over a mens of a team that needed to be stripped of players and contracts that were holding the team back.
    To compare records to each other is a mindless exercise just to bitch louder or just to show you dont understand the game

#241 LF911SC, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    KingRoach and cval like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Grade the draft three years from now. Everything looks great on paper.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

If JJ isnt a stud and is just serviceable and they walked out of this draft with a #1 CB and a #1 WR? Its still a great draft.
    Kind of like me saying if KT is a lazy shlt like its been reported and/or Neal doesnt work out their draft sets them back.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Of all the analysts, people connected, it looks like Rich Cimini was really plugged in. I listened to his podcast right before the draft, and the guy basically called it. Now, of course he cannot know everything, but he was nearly spot on to what it was at the top. So, his take was this: Hutch is #1 on Jets board, followed by Sauce and Walker (tossup at 2/3), with Ickey at #4. He was pretty certain about that. Then he named next group of players as Neal, JJ, Wilson, London, in this order. He said Wilson was close to London, they liked both, but thought Wilson was slightly higher on Jets board, guessing it was because of speed. Said KT was not in Jets top 10. Not because of off the field stuff, but their evaluation of the tape.

Anyway, Rich was slightly off where Jets valued receivers more than JJ, but other than that, and also given what JD said about top 8, it looks like Jets the board top 8 went something like this:
    1) Hutch. 2) Sauce. 3) Walker. 4) Ickey. 5) Neal. 6) Wilson. 7) London. 8) JJ.

Also, what I am hearing is that Giants liked Sauce a lot, and most likely would have picked him. So, to answer your question, looks like Saleh was sweating because there was a fairly big drop off on their board between Sauce and the next guy, which would have been Ickey, and Giants could have traded up ahead of Jets to get Sauce or Texans could have taken him. KT wasn't in play for the Jets at all at top 10. I think this draft class will tell us a lot about JD and Saleh, whether we have the right people in place. I feel they (and their staff) make a great combo when it comes to evaluation and this will work out great, but can't wait to find out!

6. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

That's consistent with the video that shows the team calling Sauce, and at the end Woody tells Sauce that they were sweating for about 15 minutes. If they were worried the Giants would trade up, that explains the sweating.

I was one of the many who thought Sauce, while a great player, wasn't a good use of resources because DB is not a priority in our system. Clearly, I misunderstood what Saleh has been saying about that. Even if you don't NEED a great corner, the CS is clearly excited if they can GET a great corner.

I stand by my assessment that Sauce isn't just the best DB in this draft; he will be elite in the NFL. I don't think there are currently DBs in the league that consistently and completely shut down the best receivers in the NFL, but I think that's what we'll see from Sauce as he develops over the next few years. And if he isn't that elite 3 years from now, everyone can quote this post and rub my nose in it for being wrong.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Wow great insight...tu!!!

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It absolutely does! There are basically several tiers of receivers, and I think top tier was London, Wilson, Olave, Williams. These are guys with proven production at top level and good athletes as well. Then next two are Burks and Dotson. Proven production at top level, but pretty poor athletes, both around 6 RAS score. For comparison Wilson is around 8. JD typically does not pick relatively unathletic guys. Then you go into the next tier, which is Christian Watson, probably by himself. Good production, great athlete, but for FCS. Also A LOT of drops. In 2020 he dropped 26% of balls. In 2021 cut that to 10%, which is high, but he could be even worse as we can't completely discount 2020, where he was atrocious. He is also 23 years of age, which is older than counterparts. Then next tier of guys like Pickens, Bell, etc, which CAN be top, but have some sort of red flags.

Realistically if we went JJ at 10, we could have gotten Watson in the same trade where we got JJ. But we have a 2nd year QB, not Rogers (Watson ended up going to GB). Since we could not get a star vet, like Deebo, we need to give him someone who is most pro ready, which probably means Ohio state kids, who played against toughest competition in College. It's reckless to gamble on FCS guy given where we are. I am even concerned with Wilson as I would have liked a proven start vet, but this is by far the best case scenario without one. Without knowing the future, given info we have today, there is no doubt in my mind (proven by immediate picks that followed) JD made a brilliant call to get Wilson where he did, and stick to WR at 10.

#248 Borat, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

No he doesn't. Each have their own style. Be you.

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well said, Wilson.

12. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

3 picks, three starters, three of our top 8. Can't do much better than that. A+

13. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

I wonder who put B/C/D. lmao

cmcm750203 likes this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like the Sauce pick and I came around to the Wilson pick. I wanted JJ at 4 and Douglas got him at 26 that's some major value. Sauce hopefully will lock down one side of the opposing passing offense. Hopefully, JJ can clean up the rest with sacks. The Jets need elite players and I think Sauce is one. I like the Hall pick and he has a chip on his shoulder that he should have gone earlier. Carter and Hall should be a good tandem. I also like the last two picks hopefully Mitchell can move to center as he is too small for the OT spot. The last pick I hope he got all his troubles out of the way cause he looks like he can push the pocket.

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Because that would be Warren Sapp 2.o ...lol
    As long as OUR players pan out, I hope he has a fantastic career....

16. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

KT stans

barfolomew likes this.
  17. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Not crazy about the JJ pick but otherwise JD did good.

18. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I can understand B, but C/D is just crazy. There was also someone who gave an F on Thursday so I guess they changed it after getting so much flack in here.

REVISion likes this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

There was an F but it was then deleted from the poll but if you read the comments the guilty party admits he would have graded it less than F if there was lower, seriously lol

For normal folk, this is the grade for the Jets draft...

[​IMG]

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. All three are humble and seem committed to the big challenge ahead of them. But in particular, I don't know why, but in listening to JJ and watching his body language, and then comparing that to how he plays the game, I got a sense of controlled violence which to me is a good indicator of someone who does his "talking" with his play not his mouth. I'm looking forward to having a true stud pass rusher on the team finally.

Borat and Noam like this.