Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe if Fatboi got his ass on field for an entire season, his Twitter world wouldn't be full of critics.

SOJAZ, 94Abraham, Stevied and 3 others like this.
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

He was fine his rookie year and a franchise tackle cornerstone. Dude gets rolled up on and now he’s fat lol. Cruel world.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

4. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

wasn’t he always fat then? Even when he played well as a rookie. I mean it’s not surprising to add weight while dealing with an injury. We not gonna give him a chance to bounce back? Damn some hars critics out here on a a guy still young sheesh

5. REVISion

I know I come off as a huge Becton hater but it's really just been an overwhelming number of red flags to me.

Failed combine drug test, was overweight at end of rookie year and got fined by the team, was liking tweets about trading Darnold while Darnold was still on the team (and I wanted Darnold gone more than anyone but come on), showed up to 2nd year training camp overweight, got called out by LaFleur, missed entire season when he should've missed 4-8 weeks due to gaining weight yet again.

The weight especially is just such a recurring issue it's hard to see him ever getting it under control. I'm also guessing the failed drug test was for weed which likely ties in with the weight. Not that I care at all that he smokes weed, but it does say something about his discipline if he couldn't stay clean for the combine drug test.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

These complaints about a long recovery are probably the most ridiculous part of the Becton story; it's as if everyone gets the same injury and has the exact same course of treatment and response. There is no benchmark; kind of like Covid - some cough, some die. And I'd give more credence to a writer who established his claims of any particular weight himself rather than referencing an unsupported claim somebody else wrote months ago. Yep, I believe Becton gained weight but I don't have any reason to believe that was the reason for his slow recovery, any more than the slow recovery was the reason for the weight gain.

KingRoach and Mogriffjr like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Lol. Water under the dam

9. REVISion

How is it ridiculous to think being over 400 lbs would make it harder to recover from a knee injury? I feel like that's a pretty intuitive conclusion, plus it's actually been reported by multiple people, including Becton's own nutritionist.

The cognitive dissonance with Becton is so strange.

Even before Becton got over 400 lbs he was what, the heaviest guy in the NFL? Second heaviest?

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I have no issues with Becton. He was very good (not great) as a rookie and had a nasty and unlucky season ending injury last year that can happen to anyone.

He’s probably a little immature but there’s no reason not to think he won’t be a good player for us moving forward.

I want an OT tomorrow for depth in general, not just for Becton

11. REVISion

Even at 364 he was the 2nd heaviest player in the NFL lol, and by all accounts he hasn't been 364 since he was drafted. I don't get why everyone acts like it's some crazy claim to think Becton is heavier than optimal.

12. KingRoach

Wait and see? Haha

I would rather argue incessantly and throw around personal insults with everyone who disagrees with me, thank you very much.

Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  13. King Koopa

All that matters now is how he shows up in training camp. He was one of the largest guys I’ve ever seen drafted by anyone at the time, so of course we knew he was going to be a big boy in the NFL.

I trust that Joe D and Salah know what they’re doing, so the fact that they still haven’t taken a lineman should give us all some hope that Becton is on the right track as far as being ready and in good shape

SOJAZ, KingRoach and Ralebird like this.
  14. Ralebird

It's ridiculous for these guys to be writing the same story over and over, never adding any information. It's ridiculous for them to be deciding which is the cause and which is the effect without any medical input. You're willing to join those who infer his weight gain caused his slow recovery; I'm willing to keep an open mind and consider the medical condition itself may have been the reason for the slow recovery and the weight gain was collateral damage.

KingRoach likes this.
  15. KingRoach

When you joined this message board Becton was 4 years old (and probably 150#). I kid, point is Becton is still a kid. A big kid who throws people around for a living. Are we really suprised get likes to fight and talk shit?

16. REVISion

I'm just worried it's a bit of wishful thinking on their part. What objective reason do we have to believe Becton will figure it out? The most recent reports we have on him are that he got up to the heaviest he's been with the team on the heels of a knee injury. The history of extremely heavy people with knee injuries isn't good. If we're being honest his situation is as questionable as it's ever been.

On Hughes' latest podcast he said part of the reason the Jets didn't take Ekwonu at 4 was because of the optics and how it would reflect on JD by taking an OT to replace the one he took 2 years ago.

17. REVISion

Sorry but even if I play along and say the injury was way worse than anyone reported it was (which I highly doubt since we have 0 evidence of that), how does it reflect on Becton that it seems no one from his camp ever informed the team of that?

18. King Koopa

I just think if there were serious concerns they would have atleast taken one as insurance in the 2nd or definitely the 3rd. They’re more tuned in than we are, and I don’t think they’re going to let pride or whatever derail the season if Becton was a legit concern.

As far as the injury/ weight gain, it’s pretty common for players, especially linemen to put on some weight when they can’t walk or workout for months. 40 pounds to us is ridiculous but it’s not so much for a massive guy like Becton, who can drop the weight much easier. It wasn’t a routine injury either, when it happened I think we all said to ourselves his season is over.

19. Ralebird

I'm not looking for you to "play along" or even agree with my keeping an open mind; you do you. Where are you getting that injury report from? Isn't it the duty of the team to at least monitor the treatment and recovery of its injured players? Are we to believe they cut him loose the day he was injured, checked a chart and said "see you in eight weeks" and knew nothing of the severity, setbacks, progress or anything else about the injury but find the weight gain the most troublesome aspect?

20. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

The optics are worse if he's not in shape and gets our young QB killed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.