How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2022.

?

How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

1. A+

104 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. A-/B+

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. C

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. D

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The run on WR was a head scratcher, usually it’s the QBs are over drafted but last night it was no brought WR.
    I don’t think any of them will turn out to be true studs, including ours.

ouchy likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think London and Wilson were drafted exactly in the range they should have been drafted. The two of them were the only two in my eyes that could be studs. I don’t even hate the Saints moving up for Olave because they had two picks to play with. What got crazy was trading up for Williams. Totally get the infatuation with him but there’s a lot of question marks.

REVISion likes this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think the WR run was a combination of everyone wanting to mimic the Bengals and realizing that WR contracts are insane right now so if you want a good one without breaking the bank you have to draft one.

ouchy, Jets79, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  4. REVISion

One more thing on the topic of Garrett Wilson vs. Elijah Moore as prospects -

There's no question Wilson was a better prospect. Wilson averaged .71 TDs per game vs. Moore's .51 and 15.5 yards per catch vs. Moore's 12.9.

Wilson is also 2 inches taller with bigger hands (this correlates pretty highly with NFL success for receivers). They have almost identical 40 times but Wilson's 10 yard split is faster which is more important than 40 time. I like Moore a lot but he's really quite short for an NFL receiver.

Jeff M likes this.
  5. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I do not recall a lot of drafts where we were given top grades, certainly not multiple years in a row.

Yes, it is true draft night in and of itself proves nothing, but what is important is the feeling that we have somebody in charge who seems to know what he is doing and seems to be changing the process and the culture.

Now the league is a QB league, so for the results to start to change on the field, much will depend on Zach's progression irrespective of all else, but this regime is giving him the tools to succeed, and as a fan, I can take enjoyment is watching the progression and at least getting the feeling that for the first time in over 50 years things are being done right. And if that feeling is correct we will eventually see results even if it takes a couple of years. (what is a couple of years to a long suffering Jets fan ?)

tpjets62, Brook!, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  6. REVISion

Has it really though? The last two drafts have looked a lot different than most of our drafts did the past 10 years.

Starting when Idzik took over, our first round picks were:

CB
    IDL
    S
    IDL
    ILB
    S
    QB
    IDL

I feel like anyone praising those drafts, even regardless of the actual players taken, didn't really know what they were talking about. The positions drafted were just so far off base from the positions you need to be elite at to succeed in the modern game.

Since Douglas took over they've been:

OT
    G
    QB
    CB
    WR
    EDGE

That's a pretty huge shift. We went from choosing almost entirely defenders, many at the lowest impact positions, to picking almost entirely on offense and almost entirely high impact positions. That's significant in a league where the best teams are almost always the best offenses.

We weren't even in the right stratosphere of what we should've been doing before. Douglas whiffed on Becton and Mims which sucks, but he's at least had the right idea of what he should be doing and has drafted very well in his 2nd and 3rd drafts.

HomeoftheJets and Jets79 like this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Very well said. Amen

Jeff M likes this.
  8. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Very encouraging stats. Would be overjoyed if Wilson better than Moore cause i like Moore

REVISion likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Moore is going to fit beautifully in the slot if Wilson can play Z to Davis big X. Having Moore and Wilson on the same side of the field is going to cause coverage nightmares if Wilson is ready to go.

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Interesting and well reasoned take, but personally I am THRILLED we took a WR at 10. To be honest I would probably have taken OT instead of CB at 4, but I knew there’s be a run on receiver in the teens…you could feel it coming. I had no idea when it would start but we all knew it was coming. I think it was also a reaction in part to the crazy WR trades and salaries this off-season. Funny but I thought both KC and GB with multiple picks and losing great receivers would have been in the WR market, but that did not happen.

in any case, this over drafting concept sometimes drives me nuts. Yes in many cases it makes total sense, but for us in this draft, I think it would’ve been a mistake to get too cute with the “well is he really worth #10?”… there was clearly a run in hindsight so we had our pick. There may well be a receiver or two in round 2 that is just as good, but I didn’t think we could afford to pass at 10 and hope we get someone good at 35. Getting too cute with “value” resulted in us taking Mims instead of Jefferson.

I probably would have been happier with Ikey at 4 and then Wilson and Johnson as is, because I don’t trust Becton at all, but I also won’t say that we can’t use a CB.

REVISion and ouchy like this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more!

I think both Idzik and Mac were truly horrible GMs who will NEVER get a second shot in that role, they sucked for different reasons

Idzik had the right idea in chopping dead wood and accumulating draft picks, but he was so utterly terrible at talent evaluation that it wouldn’t have mattered if he 100 picks. How you can have a 14 player draft (which by the way with that many picks you should be trading up or trading for future picks) and whiff on every single pick is beyond me. I’ll give him Enunwa I guess but that’s it.

Mac was just as bad and also had NO FUCKING CLUE how to build a roster…wasted premium picks on all the wrong positions, seating safeties before QBs, doling out god awful free agency dollars again at the wrong positions like RB and ILB…ugh

Brutal

JD actually seems like he has a sound plan and strategy…and yes his first draft sucks but the second was very good and this one is starting off great…he’s had to dig out of a gargantuan hole created by the morons before him…

REVISion likes this.
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

"...one for the ages"

Schein stealing my line

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  13. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Solid A is the only objective grade

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I mean isn't he the guy who had the 3 players we took all in his top 9?

Poeman likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There's no question Wilson was a better prospect than Moore? You watched too much draft hype.

TBF, I said better, or at least comparable, prospects. In truth they are almost the exact same prospect. YPC isn't a comparable stat when Moore had 46 more catches than Wilson, in the SEC, not Big Ten. Really the only advantage Wilson had over Moore is .2 more TDs per game, while Moore had the advantage in catches and yards.

They are the same prospect, except we got one at 34 and one at 10. Honest question. Is Wilson a #1 wideout prospect worthy of the 10th pick?

#235 ouchy, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  16. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

How can that be answered? No one, NO ONE, knows. I would have preferred Deebo, but twas not to be. You know every pick is a gamble. And all of that is beside the point. The question that time will answer is, does GW performance measurably improve the Jets and lead to the playoffs and beyond? Doesn't matter if other receivers perform better or someone is picked at 10 or 34, as long as we get a yes answer.

17. REVISion

I don't think raw number of catches is a great comparative stat for Moore/Wilson considering Wilson was on a team with 3 other first round WRs for most of his college career (Olave, Williams, JSN). I would expect a receiver in such a stacked WR room to have less catches than one who was the #1 option for his team 2/3 years. Ole Miss also threw the ball more times during Moore's 3 years than Ohio State did during Wilson's 3 years.

Of course YPC is a comparable stat even though Moore had more catches. That's the point of the stat, it accounts for number of receptions to see who gains more yards on average per-reception.

If you have the size, athleticism, TDs per game and yards per catch advantage then you're quite clearly the better prospect, not just a comparable one. Wilson's catch radius is so much bigger than Moore's too, and I think their hands are probably comparable or edge to Wilson.

Was he worth the #10 pick? I think the #1 WR prospect in almost any draft is worth the #10 pick for a WR-needy team. I think Wilson is going to be a very good pro. He almost exactly fits the mold of the receivers who've come into the league and done very well immediately the last few years.

ouchy likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

YPC is like batting average. The more catches the harder it is to keep the average up. Every catch cant be 15 yards. And he was facing the Big 10, not SEC.

Kenny Pickett is the #1 QB prospect. That doesn't mean he is as good of a prospect as Lawrence, or Burrow, or Murry - for any QB needy team. Context matters.

19. Stevied9

Stevied9 New Member

He ran well at the combine, is a good size and is physical.. c'mon . Def respect your opinion but not sure how you see him getting "torched."

20. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

[​IMG]