Deebo Samuel Watch (Deebo asked SF to be traded)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Apr 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Thank you!!

You crack me up too. Replying to my comment about “keeping it simple” with a chart is comedic gold.

If we sign Deebo, would that make us one of the “big spenders” this year? I haven’t looked at the numbers but it’s seems like a stretch.

2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I see it as we are trading the #10 for Deebo Samuel where we would/should have drafted WR. Period, that's it. Sounds good right? Don't think anyone can argue that. Salary cap is a joke, we never find anyone to pay in the off-season anyway. Teams make big signings and always get under the cap.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IDK where you're drawing the conclusion that Douglas is going 180 degrees in the opposite direction of how he's repeatedly said he believes good, sustainable teams are built. Just because he's being aggressive in trying to land a proven #1 WR that would instantly transform the offense (assuming Zach takes the next step in his progression)? By "transform" I mean a true #1 WR will take a lot of the attention away form the other receivers and TEs, and open the running game, and Douglas knows this full well, which is why he's being so aggressive for this one transformative player.

I think you're way off in the weeds in your thinking on this.

4. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

The question is, would we use the 10th pick on a receiver? We have glaring needs at Edge, CB, and O-line, and while WR is still a need, I just wonder if it's worth not addressing 2 of the 3 top needs to grab Deebo.

ouchy likes this.
  5. KingRoach

Something about a Deebo signing being the downfall of this regime.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The musings of a desperate GM or something like that.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If there was a WR with the ability of Deebo - IOW, if we knew that a WR was available then that would produce year 1 like Samuels - I'm pretty sure we;\'d use the #10 pick on him without a moment's hesitation, so why wouldn't we give up the #10 for the actual article? And BTW, I'd really prefer to not have to give it up for him, but if push comes to shove, I would.

8. KingRoach

I think we need one more season before we make big moves but maybe JD feels otherwise.

If Lawson, TBD Rookie, Curry, JFM, Thomas, and Q can produce a consistent pass rush our D isn’t as in dire shape.

JD might believe the team is further along than the fanbase does; and if he does, he needs to grab elite players who can break games.

SOJAZ, ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, for some NBA owners it's not about the profit from the franchise. They are billionaires who make money elsewhere, and having NBA team is a hobby. Same is true for many European soccer teams. This is great for the players, but not so good from competitive standpoint. And I like the NFL precisely because everyone is roughly in the same boat and has a chance to go to SB if managed properly.

As far as rookies, do you really think a guy like Lawrence would only be playing for 5 mil in the open market? Yet he is stuck on the rookie scale for 5 years. I actually like that NFL did this as it simplifies a lot of things, but the fact everyone likes draft picks and rookie deals is because rookies are generally underpaid for the contributions they provide. The money saved then goes to veterans (because as I said before CAP numbers must be met).

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

well... it's ALOT better than having guys like Sam Bradford being paid more than Tom Brady simply because he was picked #1 overall

FJF likes this.
  11. KingRoach

4 years for $9mm/yr.

The 5th yr option for a Qb who goes to the pro bowl is currently $30mm. TL will be paid just fine yr 5.

I’m old enough to remember the days before the current rookie structure. Sam Bradford was I think the last rookie drafted under that structured.

The highest paid player in the NFL had never stepped on the NFL field. If a team missed on an early pick, they’d be seriously set back.

I am 100% against going back to that.

I am 100% with players on contracts becoming commodities. Some Super Bowl teams are sellers like the Pats (traditionally) and some are buyers (like the Rams).

Ps. Outperforming your contract extends past rookies.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, Trevor will be fine I am sure. But we are not comparing him to average Joe. 9 mil for a starting NFL QB with his potential is very low, I think we can agree on that. Same for other positions. Teams that miss on early picks are set back not because it costs them a lot, but precisely because they had an opportunity to get a really good guy on a cheap and didn't do it. Why do you think everyone wants draft picks, rookie deals, etc?

Anyway, I do agree that it is better to have a rookie scale, because it drastically simplifies things. Yet, it's also undebatable that rookies as a whole are outperforming their contracts a lot more than veterans do. The difference goes to the vets in a CAP situation like they have in NFL, because minimum CAP numbers must be met in order to give players agreed upon % of revenue. I am not even saying I am against it, just that's what it is.

13. KingRoach

The Super Bowl Champion Rams would like to have a talk about the bolded comment.

We only hear about the rookies who are outperforming their contracts, I seriously disagree that rookies as a whole are out performing their contracts.

As we don’t really know later round picks from other teams, let’s do the Jets. I’ll start listing picks from 2020, 2019, 2018, and 2017 and let’s confirm a majority are out performing their contracts.

14. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

JDs mistake here is not really his fault, he made the deals to get us in great draft position in a draft where the talent is really balanced. The top 15 players in this draft have as many question marks as the next 15 prospects, That is why JD is trying to trade for a top notch receiver. There is not a Chase or Pitts or Waddle in this draft. It is our luck again that we power in a weak yr

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You have been misinformed, and we need to be fair here. Cooper was under contract for at least 3 years, each year at 20 mil with team option for each year. Basically, if we got him without any restructure, he costs 20 mil in 2022. After the year is over, if we like him, we pick up option. If he stinks, we decline at no CAP cost. If we like him, he plays in 2023, same story for 2024 - same price 20 mil. So, without any tags, restructures, etc, we could have had him for 3 years 20 mil each, and have an option to dump him after each year. All for a 5th round pick. They guy is 27 and a 4 time Pro Bowler. Without any restructuring, this already sounds like a good deal for the Jets to me. And I am not just saying it now that WR market blew up, I said at the time also. It's not often you get a chance to add a 27 year old 4 time Pro Bowler to the roster without giving up major draft capital. Now, after WR market blew up, this deal sounds like a total steal.

@REVISion is 100% correct: JD misread the market. 20 mil at the time was a lot, and he wanted to restructure before any deal. Cowboys got another 5th rounder offer from Cleveland, which was a lower 5th round pick than ours, but Cleveland didn't require restructuring as a part of the deal. So Cowboys pulled the trigger. Browns later restructured Amari anyway, with him counting 5 mil Against the CAP this season. JD misjudged the market here, and just made a mistake, as simple as that. He is not perfect, he probably thought he could score another WR, but couldn't really do it even though he tried hard, as prices ballooned and more desirable destinations were offering comparable contracts to guys. Amari was a missed opportunity, there is no doubt about that.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Quite the opposite: they benefitted from the fact rebuilding teams wanted their picks, which were very valuable, and were able to get great vets for them to help them win now.

REVISion likes this.
  17. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

That sounds great on paper and sure it would be nice to have Cooper wrapped up for 3 years at 20m per but it's 2022, how would the player feel about this? Yes that matters now, no way around it. If Cooper is thinking I'm 27 and could get dumped any year till I'm 30 years old I would be cool with that? Um no, and you could stranglehold him into that contract but now you are causing headaches in the organization to pay a disgruntled WR 20 million a year. Personally I don't like Cooper that much so was glad we didn't get him but again in a business perspective, culture perspective, extension was absolutely in the conversation as a deciding factor.

18. KingRoach

You: Everyone wants draft picks, players on rookie deals

Me: The rams don’t want draft picks

You: quite the opposite

Me: huh

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

My point is that draft picks are valuable because of cheap rookie deals, which why teams want them. You mentioned Rams, and I said Rams benefitted from other teams wanting their draft picks. Hopefully this clarifies. If not, we are probably best to move on at this point.

SOJAZ and KingRoach like this.
  20. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

The way SF used him as a dual threat made him dangerous but if there's truth to him wanting to be a straight up WR he's a player who has 10 career receiving TDs.
    Idk you're betting on his breakout year. I'm fine with whatever JD decides just wouldn't sell the farm for him that's all I'm saying

SOJAZ and Linebacker712 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.