Deebo Samuel Watch (Deebo asked SF to be traded)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Apr 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Re Players rule: the next time a player’s production drops to the extent where the team wants to cut him and get out of the contract- but is unable to get out of the contract bc “players rule” - send me a msg, and I will get on board of the idea “players rule”

Re your other horrible idea: it commonly takes 3 years for a player to develop into an asset, especially later round picks. 3 years isn’t changing.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

A big part of the reason the 49ers have been good with Deebo is because they drafted him and he was very affordable as a result. I understand that he wants to get paid his worth but when you're targeting $25 million per year, as has been reported, it's hard to not see it as a money grab. Deebo's not going to be struggling to get by if he ends up making $20 million per year instead of $25 million.

Christian Kirk and the Jaguars absolutely blew up the WR market, and all of these guys and their agents are trying to strike while the iron's hot. That should tell us that we should be extremely wary of falling into that trap. The market is way too inflated right now.

What this all comes down to is that Douglas knows his job is at risk with another bad season so he's at the stage every GM inevitably gets to when their first couple years don't go well - all the platitudes about "building through the draft" are thrown out the window in favor of moves that will look good for a year or two before seriously hampering the team.

Are we expected to believe it's a coincidence that JD, a guy who has always been overly stingy, is suddenly chasing every tier 1 WR he can find with a gigantic bag of money? This isn't what smart teams do, it's what desperate GMs do when they think they'll be out of a job with another bad season.

ouchy likes this.
  3. KingRoach

I am honestly amazed that JC Tretter C, Brandon McManus K, Thomas Morstead P, and Michael Thomas (S) are considered the top 1% of NFL elite.

They are all well into their 30’s and they all have their own charitable foundations. They might be the top 1% but I doubt it.

4. KingRoach

Gave you a like for the 1 yr cap on the tag. I agree 100%. If t takes 2 tags, he’s not really destined to be the face of your franchise, is he

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I sorta like your Post

But you really have to get lucky on picks 51-165 for chrisake !!! Lol

Deebo was top of Round Two which is fairly early and less iffy but stillwho knew?

So the question is why doesn't every team get pro bowl players late second and third round on ?

Answer is it's less likely you strike gold and have to be lucky

Samuel is young and very talented . So I don't mind the Deebo risk if he has a good attitude and we sell them our 10 this year some late picks for next year

ouchy likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Players demanding to be traded when they so feel like it is bad for the sport. I’m spitballing ideas to mitigate that. Do you have any ideas dicky?

They are influenced by the top percentage of players in the league. Hence why JJ Watt and Rodgers have such strong public opinions when CBA negotiations come into play and the owners usually get their way to the negative benefit of the lower half of the league.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I personally believe Douglas is well aware of how you build a team in 2022 and that involves making the most of all your assets to support your young QB.

KingRoach and Noam like this.
  8. KingRoach

The players could negotiate that ever NFL player, every single one who enters the NFL through the draft, gets a contract FULLY GUARANTEED 4 year contract…. Oh wait

9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

DS stats: Career
    REC - YDS - AVG - LNG- TD - ATT- YDS- AVG
    167 2,598 15.6 83 10 81 550 6.8

take out the 1400 yards and the low mark in 2020 (391) you end up with the following stats for 2019:
    REC - YDS - AVG - LNG- TD - ATT- YDS- AVGrs
    57 802 14.1 42 3 14 159 11.4

For me this is the value I see... just looking at this I say no he is not worth it...BUT... you cannot disregard last year's performance. Personally, I would not make the trade, I would try to trade back -maybe Philly - The Jets send the 10th and 146th overall picks to Philly in exchange for picks 15, 51, 154 and 237.
    4- PR or OT and then you can start to plug holes in this team...suggestions:
    15th: Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama
    35th: Arnold Ebiketie, Edge, Penn State

38th: Not sure here ????
    51st: Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State
    69th: Cam Jurgens, C, Nebraska
    111th: Jesse Luketa, LB, Penn State
    117th: JoJo Domann, LB, Nebraska
    154: James Mitchell, TE, Virginia Tech (was hurt 2021 but showed good hands and blocking)
    163: Kellen Diesch, OT, Arizona State (solid back-up who has potential to be a starter at LT where he pulled alot)
    237: ?????? ST

Just some alternative thoughts...

10. KingRoach

Dickey, Ha!

I actually don’t agree with the premise that it’s a “problem”. Players are leaving situations they don’t want to be in and teams are being compensated very well.

I agree with 1 poster that the franchise tag shouldn’t be used 2 years in a row.

I’m sure many players have something to say when it comes to negotiations but the public is sure to hear hear from the biggest names. It’s not like the media is going to ask Brandon Shell what he thinks of the new deal.

The revenue is split. The owners get their share, the players get their share. Why would the owners care what the players do with their share? Also, Wouldn’t the owners wants hurt the upper 1% of the league ie 5th yr options and franchise tags?

11. KingRoach

Bailing on your team?

He told them he’s not signing a new contract with them. He’s not demanding a trade. He’s not threatening to sit out. He’s simply giving his 12 months notice.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Whatever...

EDIT: Which GMs would prefer having Jimmy G over Zach Wilson? And of course you're completely ignoring that the talent surrounding Lance was much better than Zach had - who was as good as Deebo for Zach?

You're bias against Wilson is unsupported by facts or logic, but hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

#252 ColoradoContrails, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Noam and KingRoach like this.
  13. KingRoach

I would love to nail this draft and In 2 years be in a position to trade away star players for draft capital. The Patriots have been doing this consistently for a decade.

ouchy likes this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I guess I just think taking a WR at 10 does that and at a fraction of the cost, and how are we going to act like having $15-$20 million more cap space can't be used to support a QB?

It's not about whether we think Wilson/Williams/London will be better than Deebo for Zach, it's about whether one of them plus a ton of extra money would be better for Zach. Travis Kelce makes $15 million, George Kittle about the same. The best LTs in football make about that much. Would Garrett Wilson and a top 5 TE or LT be better for Zach than just Deebo?

This happens with every single GM man. They start doing dumb things in an effort to save their job. Job security always takes precedence over pragmatism when push comes to shove, it's human nature to value your own survival first.

If we look at recent drafts we see that WRs taken high have a really good chance of turning out to be good.

The WRs taken in the first round over the last 5 years have been Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross, Calvin Ridley, DJ Moore, Marquise Brown, N'Keal Harry, Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb, Brandon Aiyuk, and Jalen Reagor. So 12 really good players, a couple bad ones and a few decent ones? Seems like pretty good odds to me.

15. KingRoach

I disagree with almost every sentence in this post. Lol.

How do you see this as a money grab? The 49ers have openly stated they are willing to give Deebo the money he’s asking for… money grab = grabbing the money

JD hasn’t changed his MO. He hasn’t been stingy, he’s been frugal getting value and signing appropriate players for the team he has. R. Anderson wasn’t worth what he got from someone else and a player like Deebo would've been wasted on this team in 2020.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I feel like you had to know what I meant.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

ironically the small markets are kicking ass in the NBA and in the NFL so maybe it’s overblown or even good for the game

18. KingRoach

If we could guarantee the WR would be an instant top producer, it’s absolutely the better move…. But we can’t guarantee that.

Full disclosure: I’m against trading for or drafting a WR in the 1st…. But I see the reasoning. Forget the money bc the cap can be managed, would you rather have Deebo Samuels or unknown receiver X?

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We'll see how worried he is about his job based on what he does this week. No doubt he has to produce results soon, but this is why the HC and GM need to be on the same page instead of the arranged marriages we've had between the days Tanny got canned and the Saleh hire. I hope a clean sweep happens if this regime can't get it done instead of just one or the other getting fired.

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. KingRoach

I actually didn’t. What did you mean?

I’m not familiar with NBA contracts but I do know that every NFL player that gets drafted gets a fully guaranteed 4 year contract upon being drafted. You mentioned it being easier in the NBA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.