Deebo Samuel Watch (Deebo asked SF to be traded)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Apr 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

35 for deebo i'd do in a heartbeat though.
    with some luck it could mean
    4 - KT
    10 - hamilton
    35 _deebo trade
    38 travis jones

LAJet, Lon Chaney, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Assuming everything falls into place where Jets acquire Deebo or Metcalf.

THE GOOD: WR corps is set and assume we keep a 4th pick and our 2nd picks, or we keep our No. 1 picks (give away 2nd picks), the Jets still land several immediate impact players on defensive side (DE, DT, CB) within the first 3 picks, the team significantly improves on both side of the ball. We may not be a playoff team yet but gives us a big step for 2023.

THE BAD: I could see salary cap implications trying to lock Zac, Moore and youngsters if they all succeed in several years but we first have to field a winning team.

That said I am for getting Deebo.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

if that ever happens the Akers would be dumb not to do a deal for 35.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Player skill doesn't matter in a vacuum, and it never will as long as there's a salary cap. Not sure why some people are acting like this debate is ended by saying Deebo is better than whichever WR we could draft at #10 - of course he is, but that's not the point.

The goal is to put together the best total team possible (production per dollar paid) and then break the bank when you're right on the cusp of seriously contending for a Lombardi Trophy.

If there's a compelling case for Deebo at $25 million per year doing more for a team than the 1st or 2nd best WR prospect in this draft at $5 million per year and $20 million of extra cap space then I'm all ears. Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey's cap hits are about $20-$25 million for context. Travis Kelce's is $15 million.

5. Jaybranch23

Jaybranch23 Active Member

the jets have the cap room (or can easily create the sufficient cap space) and don’t really have another player that they’d need to pay in the near term. Since we have a QB on a rookie contract - you make moves like this. Cap space isn’t irrelevant - but the key is getting talent at a critical position that we have a need in. It’s particularly key given that we are looking to give our rookie QB all the tools hems need to succeed.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If we can't draft a #1 WR then trading for somebody else's #1 WR won't mean anything other than we'll be paying our #1 WR a *lot* of money.

Why?

Because if we can't draft a #1 WR it stands to reason that we can't draft a #1 anything at any position and we'll fail for that reason - without paying a #1 WR like he is going to do anything for us but collect pay checks while the teams loses.

#CJMosely #LeveonBell #TrumaineJohnson #EtcEtcEtc...

Jet's excessive free agent spending just turns into more losses. The strategy doesn't work and adding draft picks into the cost plus overspending isn't going to fix that.

Jojo and bicketybam like this.
  7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

these are good questions. Of course SF has to be asking themselves the same questions (though they are arguably contending) and they want to keep him

Similarly Seattle (who is not contending and who has a history of drafting good WRs later in the draft). Tennessee has similar dilemma

Personally, I'm torn on the issue but given our lack of talent or luck in finding WR talent in the draft, I'd be leaning toward the trade if there's a way to avoid #4 and #10 picks

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I'm all for giving Wilson the ammo to either

A show us he is the FQB we require
    or
    B isn't

And then we draft one next year and this time we will have weapons ready for the incoming QB to play with and that will scan more like Herbert's situation.

9. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

LOL

PJ4Ever likes this.
  10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

deebo's cap hit wont be $25 mill a year.

both tyreek and devante have fluff years at the end of their contracts that push the annual cap hit up. their actual cap numbers per year are about $22 and $20 mill, respectively

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/tyreek-hill-19119/
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/davante-adams-14463/

deebo is not getting more than them

PJ4Ever, IIMeanDeanII and LAJet like this.
  11. REVISion

It's been reported he's seeking roughly $25 million per year. Regardless, the gist of my post is the same whether it's $20 or $25 million.

12. ramjets29

ramjets29 Member

I get the need to add more firepower at the WR position to put Wilson in the best possible situation to succeed. BUT spending the amount of $ it would require to sign Deebo on top of the draft capital it would take to acquire him makes little sense to me given our current situation as a team in a loaded AFC. I would much rather draft one of the top 2 WR prospects at 10 or hope someone falls to us at 35.

Let's not forget, JD has brought in two dynamic receiving TE's in Uzomah and Conklin which are significant upgrades over last year and also re-signed Berrios who Wilson clearly had a great rapport with towards the end of season. Throw in a year 2 bump in production for Moore and a bounce-back year (crossing fingers) for Davis and I'd say Wilson is already in a much better place right now.

Brook! and ouchy like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There is a possibility the WR we draft with #10 will bust though. Or become just average. This class doesn't have a sure thing like Chase. #1 guy on some respected analysts' boards is #7 on others (e.g. Wilson who is #1 for Kiper but #7 for Simms or Williams, who is #1 for some, but other wouldn't touch him with a 6 foot pole, and same for London). Also, if we ever want to be at the spot where we are contending for Lombardi, we need to develop Zach. A rookie WR will not be giving 75% of production of Deebo next year. Heck, 75% of Deebo is 1350 total yards with 1050 receiving yards. I am not convinced whoever we get at #10 will EVER get this production. Maybe, maybe not. And Zach can become a better player having a star WR NOW.

Keep in mind, Deebo's extension (suppose 25 mil per over 3 years) kicks in year after next. We NEED to be hunting for play-offs at that time for sure or we have to break up the team. Zach is not due for extension in another 4 years. Best case he is Mahomes and will be paid 50 mil in 4 years, and this is our window to strike, while we don't have to pay him. And Deebo will help him become Mahomes (in this scenario) sooner. To me this is just a no brainer of we can get him for a value of what was offered for Hill or even #10 overall straight up. We need to win some games at some point, and that point for me is this year, with next year being a play-off team. If pipe dream of Deebo is realized, he fits that timeline perfectly, then his contract is up when we have to pay Zach.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. REVISion

Of course there's a possibility they'll bust, but look at the top 2 WR's taken in the last 5 drafts:

Chase and Waddle
    Ruggs and Jeudy
    Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry
    DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley
    Corey Davis and Mike Williams

All of those guys except for Harry and Davis are either already producing ~1,000 yard seasons or are well on their way (Ruggs was before the accident). And they all get paid 20-25% of what Deebo will be getting paid.

Great FA WR's become available almost every year, and we aren't making the Super Bowl with or without Deebo next year so I don't get the rush. The goal should be to peak from 2023 forward. If Zach doesn't become good because he had Garrett Wilson or Drake London instead of Deebo then he probably wasn't going to become good anyway.

Acad23, Br4d and Cman68 like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is a fair argument, but again, when was the last time we had a true #1 WR that put up numbers like Samuels? And hey, I'm to married to Deebo, I'd be happy with AJ Brown or any other WR of that caliber. We can go round and round on this (and probably will) but the reasons for getting a proven starter are:

1. They're proven, there's little doubt. Yes, they can get hurt, or just take the money and put no effort in, but you have to trust your GM to figure this out before he pulls the trigger.

2. We need to know what we have in Zach Wilson now, not a year from now. Giving him a proven receiver helps immensely in this regard.

3. Getting a proven #1 WR before the draft provides a lot more flexibility during the draft. JD might even decide he doesn't need to draft a WR, or use one of the first 4 picks on one, which opens up a prime pick for another need.

4. Veteran leadership - this is a really young team, the youngest in the NFL. Adding a proven winner at a key position can rub off on the rest of the team, especially a guy like Mims (if they keep him).

All that said, I wouldn't break the bank for Samuels. I'd like to get him for one of our two #2s and maybe a 3rd or 4th or a pick next year, and maybe even throw in Mims as a sweetener. I don't want to give up the 4 or the 10...if push came to shove I'd consider the 10, but I'd want something of value back. Bottom line: I trust Douglas to figure this out.

Borat likes this.
  16. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

The way contracts are going as well as the cap. Anything we sign Deebo to will be a bargain in 2 yrs. Yes we might not be ready to compete for a championship this yr, however Deebo can be a building block. Imagine how much better Moore will be with Deebo taking so much of the attention of the defense away from him. Imagine how much better Carter will be. My only question is can our OC get the same results out of him as the guy in Miami did

17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

JD hasn’t excessively spent on FA. Now is the time to spend w Zach on rookie contract.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. PJ4Ever

I disagree with the 2nd paragraph so fucking strongly. Now is the time to spend w Zach on his rookie deal to ensure he actually develops

Noam, FJF and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  19. PJ4Ever

The whole one player away argument needs to die and be fucking buried. What a stupid argument with no basis in fact. Get good players and win some fucking games.

FJF likes this.
  20. PJ4Ever

Uzomah and Conklin are far from dynamic players

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.