Jordan Davis

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rscherwin, Apr 18, 2022.

1. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised to hear the Jets call his name next Thursday, if Hutch and Thibs are off the board at 4.

Why?

1) Intangibles out the wazoo - per my barber. (I'm in GA). Apparently he was the driving force in a team reconditioning program last offseason.

2) Team Captain. We know how JD feels about that.

3) Position of need. More so than Edge. With Lawson and JFM, we're set for starters. We let Foley go and could use someone next to Quinnen who will make OLs pay for single coverage.

4) David Ojabo. Per above, we don't need an immediate starter. With Ojabo likely to fall into round 2, we can get a long term answer at Edge with 35 or 38.

5) 6'6, 340 lbs, 4.78 40 yard time.

6) Silence. The lack of noise indicates likely interest in a player type that we rarely see.

BrowningNagle, ouchy and IDFjet like this.
  2. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Interesting how so many of us can look at the same things but see very different things.

My take:

1. Davis is a great player with great measurables. But his limitation is pass rushing, which we really need.
    2. I'm not sure why you believe DT is more of a position of need than Edge. I think we need both, but in our defensive scheme, it's more important to have stars on both Edges than to have stars in the middle. JFM may be a servicable rotation player (and starter when needed), but I don't see him as a star. We need to draft at least one top-tier Edge to complement Lawson.
    3. I'm a fan of Ojabo and would consider taking him in round 2. But we also need an Edge who can play this year. I'm fine with drafting 2 Edges, but if we draft only 1, I would want one that can contribute this year.
    4. IMHO There are some very strong DTs that will be available later and are a better fit for our defense, like Devonte Wyatt.
    5. I think the lack of noise indicates that, when you have the #4 pick, the best way to generate trade value is to keep everyone guessing about whom you might take.

I still think the most likely draft scenario is Edge at 4 and WR at 10. But there's so much going on in this draft that it could definitely break differently, and all the options look very promising. Excited to see what JD & crew choose.

If JD and the coaching staff think Davis is a great fit and good value, then I certainly won't object. I agree we need a DT and he's a very good player. But I'll be surprised if they see Davis as the right way to spend a precious #4 pick.

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. rscherwin

Good take. Appreciate the thoughtfulness.

WilsonJetsFan likes this.
  4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'd be very ok with him--sure edge is nicer but he's a high-probability above average starter--if we pick him up you win a prize.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s out of the question at 10 but I doubt it at 4. I don’t think they would take a player at 4 that they are pretty sure they can get at 10 if they wanted.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I like the prediction because Saleh comes from a place where they take DT high, and is probably in JDs ear about it.

7. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Drafting DL (not edge rusher) in the 1st round for the next 20 years is a fireable offense

tubby, ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  8. rscherwin

Why?

Bored of above average DL who are drafted in R1 and don't get to the QB? Tired of Quinton Coples, Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson, Muhammed Wilkerson? (I sure am)

I also liked Ojabo's tape better than anyone not named Thibadeaux. I can't wait to watch Lawson. And really can't wait to watch Quinnen next to Lawson!