Becton's Back In the gym..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Mar 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well said

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Those who know... know.

K'OB likes this.
  4. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

He should have been fined when he arrived at camp last year. I remember the first time I saw him with his helmet on, it was as his face was pouring out over the guard and it couldn't be contained. The picture of him being helped off the field...I remember making a video that night just furious that nothing was being done to confront this...and as usual with how the Jets do things...I was probably wrong. My guess is they were surprised and it was too late? Not sure but I do remember Saleh being asked about it and Saleh saying something like....hey...he is a big guy...that's who he is. I hated that f'in answer but the way they just shut him down for the rest of the year was sign one saying screw this...he cant handle that amount of weight..few can....next year he comes in at 350 or 360 tops or he sits. That picture of him that day? He had to be close to 390..if not more.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2022/03/29/the-new-york-jets-ongoing-mekhi-becton-problem-stems-from-a-previous-sunk-cost-issue/&psig=AOvVaw1lXALj54gTJezPLEvbBPJ8&ust=1649965487909000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAwQjRxqFwoTCODW0sbmkfcCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

does this look like the guy in those pre-draft videos? Not even close.

BrowningNagle and barfolomew like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I mean...this would be a huge addition if this guy gets it together. Him coming into camp in shape...you can remember all the talk by Lafleur who was a bit tough on him in camp and him struggling with the speed rushers. This guy regaining the form we saw at times in his rookie campaign would be really big.

blackssmagic, barfolomew and Noam like this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It would be wonderful if he got a full off season as he was injured all last offseason and then in game one. He had the foot injury that really slowed his off season, then the concussion that kept him out of most of camp then game one the knee injury. Then don't forget his rookie year with the shoulder injury where Gase kept rushing him back before he was ready causing him to miss even more time.

Having an entire off season and camp to train and get ready would be wonderful. He really has not had a decent stretch of good health in a year and a half. I can't stress how important a healthy off season is for any player particularly a young player. No better example than Bechton and Mimms. This should hopefully be Mimms 1st healthy off season.

blackssmagic, barfolomew and cval like this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Can we just make Becton a DT and be done with all the intrigue??

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he would eat up double teams

10. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

He would snack on QB's.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You guys are in rare form today!!! :D:D:D

12. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

So far Becton's best highlight is when they covered him in oil and made him look scary in front of the camera for the promo--that's the most dominant he's looked

[​IMG]

13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Did you miss his rookie season? He had some outstanding blocks and some really good games.

Brook!, PJ4Ever, Mogriffjr and 2 others like this.
  14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He was ranked as a top 10 tackle after his rookie year

15. BrowningNagle

It speaks to Saleh's inexperience & lack of assertiveness. He was new on the job, he didn't want the first thing he did to be a fine or criticism of a prominent player like Becton.

Such a shame but thats what the Jets get for hiring rookie coaches

Cman68 likes this.
  16. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Disagree. Nothing good comes from a coach criticizing his players in public.

If you have a critique, you take them aside and deliver it one-on-one. It's important your players know you're trying to help them, even when you critique them. And you don't accomplish that by publicly bad-mouthing them. That undermines morale and if the player is really a problem, it hurts their trade value and makes it that much more difficult for you to solve the problem via trade.

None of us know what Saleh did or didn't say to Becton privately, so none of us are in a position to say whether he handled that part well. But Saleh certainly did the right thing by biting his tongue in press conferences.

17. BrowningNagle

He was without his starting left tackle for an entire 4-13 season. We dont know what he did privately but he obviously didn't handle it effectively

18. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

So if he had publicly lambasted Becton for being fat, Becton would have magically healed quicker? I don't think that follows.

19. BrowningNagle

If Saleh benched him until he got in shape, maybe Becton woulda been available in October & November. It also woulda set a good example to the other guys of the standards that needed to be raised

Cman68 likes this.
  20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious Becton's knee cap was out of shape in that first game. Shame on Saleh for starting him and his knee cap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.