What is FACT or FICTION? | 2022 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 16, 2022.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The NFL Draft is 12 days now so the smokescreens and rumor mill will be churning and burning.

What do you believe to be factual and what do you think is utter BS? In this video, I respond to 10 statements that I have seen from other or have made myself this off-season.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys think!

2. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me how the draft gets more coverage, and seems more important than the actual games themselves.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I learned back in the 1970s that the off-season is our season and generally much more pleasurable than the actual games. I can recall the game against the Giants in the pre-season in the 1970s was a generally a much bigger deal than the rest of the season. For me following the draft has almost always been better than the season as the draft generally offers hope while the regular season normally crushes that hope. I think of the draft as the optimism one feels at the start of spring and the regular season is when you realize that its going to be a long cold winter.

Penny, another great video. I agree with your all your fact/fiction points except that I am moving towards joining the draft Icky at 4 bandwagon if he is there. Not sure JJ is better than Walker. But, I am loving Troy Anderson and that would be an amazing pick-up. There are few picks that will make me happier than a mid round pick of Anderson.

#3 Noam, Apr 16, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This draft is really important for the Jets. We keep focusing on picks #4 and #10, of course, but they have 7 other picks. Two in the 2nd, one in the 3rd, two in the 4th, and two in the 5th. All of those picks are valuable. Joe Douglas has done a great job setting this situation up, but now he needs to deliver. All 9 of those players could have a role on the 2022 Jets. Of course he could package some to trade up, he could trade down to get picks in the 6th and 7th. So much is possible with the 2022 draft and the Jets. That is why fans are so excited!

5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

This has been the best part of the season for awhile now

PennyandtheJets, mrjet80 and Noam like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

All 32 teams compete in the draft. Only about 20 actually compete in the regular season.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

1. I think there Is a good chance that KT falls out of the top 10. Unpopular opinion. People are souring on his tape right now as well, especially when comparing other prospects. I'm going with. Fact

2. Garrett Wilson Is a stud. He will be a threat at all levels. Pro Comp - S. Diggs. Fact

3. Absolutely we should wait to address safety. I feel If any team should understand why you don't take a safety In the top 10, It's the NYJ. Lot of depth too In this draft. Fact

4. It's non-sense to trade MB at this point. The dude looked like a stud In year one, he then got hurt. He got dunked on a lot by Lawson In the offseason but that doesn't mean much. We've invested too many high picks on the OL already. Fiction

5. I absolutely wouldn't mind them taking a RB In the first 3 rounds. Getting more talent and playmakers Is never a bad thing. A couple studs In this draft I would be thrilled with. Fact

6. I still don't see Jermaine Johnson as a Top 10 guy but I'm starting to come around to the idea of possibly selecting him. I think NFL circles clearly are viewing this guy as a top guy. Fact

7. I really like a lot of late round guys, A LOT. So, this one, I don't think I can get behind It. I do like, Troy Anderson. I don't think he's the biggest sleeper though. Fiction

8. I really think that Sauce Is one of that absolute best players In this draft... I just think that this Saleh defensive scheme, doesn't warrant a high tier CB. I would love Sauce though. Fiction

9. I think there Is a very big drop off at WR beyond the first round guys. The depth Isn't as good to me as some seem to think. I think If we are going to use the draft to supplement our WR need, It needs to be early. Fact

10. Hell yes! I think that the TE class will go much earlier than social media experts are claiming right now. It's the one position that I think Is heavily undervalued by NFL fans and media experts. I really want a new toy at TE In this class. Fact

Well done, PATJ! Another awesome video, I enjoy them. Keep up the good works, Sir!

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Great job again Penny!

I'm still very much undecided whether KT is as good as hyped. That doesn't mean much because frankly I don't really know how to evaluate DEs. I would defer to guys like Vilma or Max for that. But where I'm at right now is that he's probably that good, BUT, is he much better than somebody we could get at 35/38? If yes, then I agree, take him at 4, but if not, then I say take Ekwonu or Neal of they're there because I just don't trust that Becton will be what he needs to be. On that note, if JD were offered good value for him - I'd want a 1st or 2nd this year, plus a 2nd or 3rd next year - I'd trade him, otherwise I would keep him and hope that he proves me wrong. In any case, I want to draft his replacement. That could mean if there's a trade back, like the 16 & 19 from the Saints, taking Trevor Penning with one of those picks, or they could maybe get Zion Johnson with the 35/38 pick.

I agree that they can get a stud WR with a 2nd round pick, depending on how the board falls, and if they get involved in trade backs that give them more premium picks, possibly even trading back into the 1st to get the WR.

I would LOVE it if they could get Anderson! I've been hyping him for awhile. I think he would be a great fit and addition to this defense. Even if Saleh isn't blowing smoke about being happy with his LBers, Anderson could be brought in to contribute situationally in the beginning, and then becoming a FT starter in year 2.

I also agree that they can afford to wait on taking a TE until the 4th/5th round, and even skipping on that position if one they like isn't there. They may get better value from taking a DT instead.

The WRs are another ball of confusion. Who's the best? Is there really that much difference between the #1 (whoever that is) and the #6-7? Because of that while I'd be happy if they take Wilson (but I don't think he'll fall to 10) or Williams, getting someone like Dotson, Watson, or Pierce might actually turn out better, especially when combined with being able to get some other pieces they need too.

Those are my thoughts.

tomdeb and Noam like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Speaking of TE's, do you think Freiermuth is a good comp for Ruckert? You're an Ohio State guy, so your opinion on this matters. :)

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

1. I think there Is a good chance that KT falls out of the top 10. Unpopular opinion. People are souring on his tape right now as well, especially when comparing other prospects. I'm going with. Fact

[​IMG]

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think we can get Tyler Lindernbaum in the 2nd round. FICTION

I keep seeing this pop up around here and I'm not sure why. He'll almost certainly be gone in round 1.

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The draft is the Jets super bowl …. Maybe one day soon that will change.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

When you're shit on the field what else have we to look forward to?

Hopes and dreams are created or not in 12 days time.

IIMeanDeanII and tomdeb like this.
  14. K'OB

I would be shocked if he fell to us in the 2nd round, absolutely delighted but it ain't gonna happen, is it? lol

15. K'OB

speaking of TE's what the hell happened to Jalen Wydermyer's draft stock, he will be lucky to end up a UDFA at this rate lol

16. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I'm going to be a realist here and also a pessimist:

I think the Travon Walker hype is a bit overblown. I can't see a position tweener, with limited production, being drafted before Hutchinson or Thib.

I think there's a really good chance the top 3 picks go

1. Hutch
    2. Thibideoux
    3. Icky

This would also be the worst case scenario for the Jets. Those are the BEST talents at the most premium positions in this draft.

After that, it would force us to go with BPA but at a less premium position (Sauce) OR go with a more projection based player like Walker. I don't think we will go with Johnson at 4. SO hopefully if this happens we can trade out....

I think Sauce is going to be a stud, but great corners don't win you games like they used to. Revis and Ty Law would be called for PI every play in this new NFL.

I've said it before, in this age in NFL the only things that matter are a great QB, someone great that can get to the QB (preferably more than 1) and the guys that can protect the QB.

If a team drafts Walker over either of the guys above--we should laugh and rejoice. Dude is going to be Coples. Team is going to try moving him all over the damn place in the "joker" role, but he's not going to get production.

Joker role is great, but said player still needs to have the pass rush talent to get to the QB. Otherwise you wind up with a 7 sack guy that can't get home when it matters.

My other FICTION is any QB hype in this draft--

I think a total of 2 go in the first round--but I don't see this massive run to try to trade up for them. I could see the BETTER teams making a move later in the 1st--

Reason being is those better teams probably wont be drafting high enough next year to get a Stroud, Caleb Williams etc. The Giants, for example, are going to suck this year and will probably be in line for one of the elite guys next year--so why would they overdraft Pickett or Willis?

PennyandtheJets and Br4d like this.
  17. Br4d

You get a C taken in the 1st round about half the time and always if the guy is seen as a top prospect.

There's almost no chance Linderbaum falls out of the top 20, and definitely none that he falls out of the 1st round.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Br4d

If this is how the top 3 fall then the Jets #1 option should be to trade down and pick up a few picks later in the draft. If they are forced to take somebody at #4 with the 3 you listed gone it almost has to be Gardner. He's the guy most likely to turn into an All-Pro and when you are picking in the top 10 you need to maximize the chances that you are getting a great player.

The other thing is that if the Jets snap Gardner up they may well get calls from teams looking to swap picks for him. That could give them a second bite at the trade down apple. However they'd be taking Gardner not to promote that but because he's the best player available on the #4.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  19. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Man! I love the fact that you answered all the fact or fiction scenarios. Thank you for watching and leaving such a great comment here!

Brook! and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  20. K'OB

It was like a rhetorical question ;)

Br4d likes this.