2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If ownership is getting involve anything is possible - and probably for the worse. But if I were JD and was only offered a 4th I'd hang onto him too and see if he can ever get close to his potential, at which point I'd keep him or trade him for more value.

But I've said all along they need to be looking to draft another stud OL to cover their asses in case Becton doesn't show up ready to play in June - and that's what we're now hearing: he's still struggling to get in shape.

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Another tidbit from today's Connor Hughes podcast is Hughes said the WRs are not viewed very strongly this year and one of his sources said the Elijah Moore had a higher grade last year than any WR in this years class.

3. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

then WR at #10 is probably a smokescreen

KingRoach and LAJet like this.
  4. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

As is with any type of business, if you have concerns regarding an employee you plan accordingly. Part of that plan is to have option's put in place to protect yourself. Several of us have said all along that we cant count on Becton, that between his training and injury history can we truly count on him playing 17+ games on a yearly basis. The other piece to this is Fant, the guy had 1 good year and is about to be 30 years old. Its not normal for football players to keep getting better after their 30th birthday. If Sauce isnt an option at 4 and KT is gone, then maybe IK is the best player to draft. Then at 10 look for JJ and go from there

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

When I heard that, I started thinking the Ikey at 4, Edge at 10 scenario would be best.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and Jets79 like this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I would be fine coming out of round 1 with two of the following three: Edge, OT, WR

I would not expect DB in round one for JD based on his history

Noam likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

My gut tells me we are going Jermaine Johnson at #4.

If you asked me a month ago If that was possible, no way I would've bought It.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My current gut feel: if top two Edges are gone I think JD goes OT, and either Edge or WR at 10. If Sauce or top LB is there at ten the plot might thicken just a bit. Also could threeEdges go on first three picks? Some experts seem to think so

Noam and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

my gut right now says ekwonu at 4 and JJ at 10 and the WR at 10 is a smoke screen and we'll take one in the 2nd. or we trade out of 4 and take JJ at 10. possibly trade with the saints for 16 and 19 which could be JJ, WR, and maybe an OT. It really seems like JD wants to draft a lineman cause either becton is scaring them or fant contract negotiation isn't going well.

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-rumors-george-fant-extension

that was 3 months ago and still no extension. I think he wants to draft a replacement and move fant for a future pick in camp or see if becton stays good and if not keep fant for a year as insurance

chandler, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I would definitely keep Fant in that scenario for a year as insurance. More valuable as a swing tackle/Becton replacement than what we could get in return.

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't see Fant going anywhere, they like him way too much. I also don't think JJ will make It to 10 at this point.

I'm not buying all this OL talk right now. I just can't see It happening. Doesn't make a lot of sense In the grand scheme of It all to me.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Smoke screens everywhere… my gut tells me they have a deal in place with one of the NFC south teams to move back IF the player they covet is there at #4 (Willis/Pickett).

I think they love Burks and feel they could get him in the late teens if they can move back. If not they might take him at 10.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t see how you can take Burks at 10. If that’s our guy I hope it’s because we traded back. Really would hate to have the choice of London, Wilson, Williams, Burks and go Burks.

14. Rockinz

London has bust written all over him. It 10 it comes down to Burks/Williams/Wilson

15. BroadwayAaron

Totally disagree. I think the draw to Burks was his physical prowess and the combine proved that he’s nothing more than above average physically. A lot of people lazily make the comparison between London and Mims when in reality Burks is closer to Mims. Yes Burks can be more of a Swiss Army knife but the more you dig on Burks, the more you see the faults. There’s a reason he’s sliding down draft boards. If we trade back and London, Williams, Wilson and Olave are gone then I’d take him. But he’s the 5th WR on my board.

16. Rockinz

London or Burks is nothing like Mims. Watson is Mims 2.0… London is a contested catch/red zone guy. Burks is an all around playmaking receiver.

London would be a great TE just like other basketball converts in the NFL. He’s just not big enough or strong enough for TE. The MAIN issue I have with London isn’t his speed or his drop % (which are below average) it’s that he is injury prone and he opens up himself to monster hits. Watch his tape on how much he gets shaken up from getting blown up. Then add in the ankle brake. If I was JD I would touch him till the 2nd round.

If you think Burks value dropped at the combine what do think Londons pro day will do to his stock? He’s real slow. He didn’t even attempt the 40 because he’s a 4.6-4.7 guy.

17. GasedAndConfused

ideally sure but we also don't know if fant would like that and JD is pretty kind to players

18. GasedAndConfused

i'm not a fan of o-line at 4 either but i'd take it over sauce of JJ. JJ wont go before 10 either. I really think the top 3 will be hutch, walker, and ekwonu and we get KT. I think if KT doens't fall we trade down with the saints and get JJ at 10.
    also latest rumors is linderbaum is seen as a 2nd rounder de to strength concerns so we could see a draft of

4 KT
    10 Williams, wilson, or london
    35 linderbaum
    38 jones

Noam likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with that.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

London’s game isn’t predicated on speed and no one will ever pretend it is. He loses Nothing by not running the 40 at his pro day. Meanwhile a guy like Burks had a ton of hype surrounding him for all of his physical features and to say they underwhelmed would be an understatement. London might be gone before we pick at 10, hopefully he’s gone at 10 if we keep the pick and I would be stunned if he lasts beyond the middle of the first round if we don’t take him. If Berks didn’t fill that Deebo Samuel role that will run rampant across the league now he would be a second or third round receiver.