Thibodeaux vs. Walker vs. Johnson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Mar 17, 2022.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

His tape shows a guy with an average get off from the LOS, with ok bend, with a below average understanding of leverage and setups for a top tier pass rusher.

The things he got away with In college, it's not going to work In the NFL.

I like the potential. I just don't like him at 4.

He's not even some athletic freak like Walker.

I don't get the hype right now.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

DRob ended all of the "bowling ball with knives" physique arguments for me.

If you're going to take an Edge on the 4 take one that has produced sacks, TFL's and FF's at the college level.

Every time I see somebody talk Travon Walker up I imagine exactly how we're all going to feel when it turns out he is a great physical specimen who is just an average player. Just like he was at Georgia.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If Kayvon is there and we pass I’d be very disappointed .. he’s a stud.. his first step is elite and he will be a very good player in the NFL. Reminds me of Von Miller

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm so torn on this EDGE class. I have serious issues with each one of them who's likely to be available at #4.

At first I wrote off the Thib character concerns but they've risen to a level of smoke where I think there must be some fire. He also didn't notably improve year-over-year during his college career. Walker is crazy raw and had an awful pass rush win rate. Johnson is old and had one great season - I think there's an argument to be made that Walker will be better in 2 years than Johnson is now since Walker is 2 years younger.

I honestly have no idea who I'd take at #4. Thib is the most talented pass rusher and if he's hard working and not a headache he should be the obvious pick. There's just an overwhelming amount of commentary from so many different sources about his character though.

IIMeanDeanII and Noam like this.
  5. REVISion

Honest question though - what evidence was there that Robertson was an elite athlete?

Walker terrifies me because of his awful pass rush win rate but he's legitimately the 3rd most athletic EDGE prospect out of 1,389 since 1987 according to relative athletic score. He's a once every 10 years athlete.

Rockinz and Noam like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Awful pass rush win rate.

Do you really need to see anything other than that to know that Walker is not a high 1st round pick?

Why could Walker not turn into an offense-wrecking pass rusher in college? Why would anybody think the NY Jets can find the qualities that Georgia could not?

7. REVISion

All valid questions. I guess the hope is he could turn into Ezekial Ansah minus the debilitating injuries. Still a very risky proposition.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm sick and tired if us drafting on "hope" where studs are supposed to be. "Hope" is for the 3rd round and later. Walker is another Leo or Q Williams at best, and Vernon Gholston at worst.

I'm now leaning towards taking an Edge with the 3rd or 4th pick (Ekebitie) unless Hutch somehow falls to 4. Douglas needs to nail those first 4 picks with studs that fill prime positions of need. Walker, and to a lesser extent, Thibodeaux and Johnson are too risky to be taken with the #4 or even the #10 pick.

stinkyB, KingRoach and Richard Lyman like this.
  9. Richard Lyman

Richard Lyman New Member

Thibodeaux and Johnson are too risky to be taken with the #4 or even the #10 pick.
    WR has the same problem for me. Each WR prospect has a flaw. I would rather trade back in the 1st and get Olave or maybe look at Pierce in the 2nd.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

I agree with this a lot.

On one hand. Hell of a lot of edge talent In this draft. Too good to be true If I'm honest.

I learned a long time ago, If it seems too good to be true. It probably Is.

So, It's very likely most these guys are going to be flops. Which means...

More chances to get It wrong than right.

You really got to trust your process and I hope they do because this Is going to be a huge decision.

I still trust my eyes. KT has such good technique and skill at the position. He's my hands down #1 but the concerns are concerns for a reason. I definitely agree.

Karlaftis might be the safest edge In this draft for me. Even he has red flags though.

Idk.

Hope they get it right for sure.

11. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Unlike many, I have no concerns about Thibodeaux's supposed character issues. Oregon players go through this every year. Herbert wasn't a leader/couldn't read defenses, Penei Sewell suddenly had flaws in his game that no one ever saw before.
    Thibs is actively building his brand - that's the new wave of athletes. We'd better start getting used to it, the times are changing.

All Gas No Shake and Red Menace like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you mean outside of Hutchinson? since he won't be there for sure. in that case I agree. I also have faith in saleh to get the most out of his players

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I see Thibodeaux being a bigger headache than Jamal Adams. If we were to pick him, I'd predict that he'll end up in a contract dispute and end up holding out for part of training camp, then coming in and being underwhelming. Then, next year he'll become a true talent, but by the end of the year, he'll want a new contract, which will then turn into him demanding a trade, which he'll get. If guys are worried about building their brand before they've even been drafted, that's a bad sign.

14. Trainer

Too late to close that barn door. With NIL enacted last summer, more and more athletes are going to focus on branding, even coming out of high school.
    Add to that, teams giving players a voice in where they're going to be traded, and the NFL is becoming more and more like the NBA. Players are gaining more and more control.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

4. Sauce
    10. Lloyd
    35. Favorite EDGE
    38. Favorite WR
    69. RB/OL
    111. RB/OL

16. IIMeanDeanII

Yes. I have no doubt he's going #1.

REVISion and GasedAndConfused like this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Solid points!!!!

18. KingRoach

The reports weren’t in accurate. The Chargers decided they’re ok with a shy qb and Detroit decided they were OK with their OT taking a year off.

If the Jets are OK with Thib’s character, I’ll be pumped with the pick… but let’s not pretend the concerns aren’t legitimate.

19. Trainer

The criticism of Herbert dated back to comments from his coach during his freshman season. He later walked back those comments and praised Herbert for developing his leadership skills, yet the narrative persisted, mostly among the so called draft analysts.
    Sewell played over 1000 snaps last season. I'm not sure that qualifies as a year off.

20. KingRoach

How many snaps did he take the year before he was drafted? Ie the lions we’re ok with their OT taking the year off (before being drafted).
    Point is, the concerns aren’t fiction, they were information. What a club does with that information is up to them.