# 10 Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by James Hasty, Apr 7, 2022.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Just wanted to give this pick the thread it deserves.

From a value proposition lets look at the top players and make the case for who should not be available when the commanders pick at # 11 to get a better idea of what pick # 10 is all about:

1. Aidan Hutchinson DE - This would be the ideal pick for the Jets at # 4 and I think we can all agree that he doesn't make it to # 11
    2. Evan Neal OT - May not be the thumper that Ickey is in the run game but if you want a LT that will make your QB feel safe when dropping back to throw deep, this is the guy you want
    3. Ickey Okwonu OT - Is the the first or second best lineman? It doesn't matter, he can play tackle or guard and shot up on boards after the combine. No way the Giants make two selections and leave him on the board
    4. Kayvon Thibideaux DE - Arguably the best player in the draft and might not even be there at # 4. Even if Walker and Johnson both were to go higher the Jets should either take him at #10 or use him to trade down for more picks. A
    5. Charles Cross OT - Might go in the 8-10 range but is a very safe pick that will not be there at # 11. Could be the first OT taken for all we know
    6. Ahmad Sauce Gardener CB - Absolute stud with great game film and an even better combine
    7. Trevon Walker DE - Shot up boards after an awesome combine, could go as high as # 2
    8. Derek Stingley CB - Battled injuries last year but put up incredible tape before the injury.
    Awesome pro day made up for so so combine
    9. Kyle Hamilton S - Someone has to take him in the top 10

Perhaps one of these players falls as someone seems to do so every year.

I could see where we would not want to double dip on the same position at # 4 and # 10 but someone would surely want to trade up if one of these guys dropped.

Players on the bubble:
    1. Any of the QBs could be in play
    2. George Karalaftis DE - Pass rushers are gold
    3. Jermaine Johnson DE - Pass rushers are gold
    4. Jordan Davis DT - Freak big man with greatest combine ever
    5. Tyler Linderbaum C - Top 10 seems high but he has a higher floor than anyone. very safe pick
    6. The # 3 & 4 cornerbacks could get more attention if Sauce goes as in the 3-5 range
    7. There is no consensus on the top WR. I think top ten is too high but someone could fall in love with a specific player
    8. Linebackers Devin Lloyd and Nakobe Dean

My conclusion is that not only should we have very high expectations for the player we select at # 10 but other teams should be clamoring to obtain the pick despite the quality available later.

#1 James Hasty, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  2. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Hamilton is not even on the bubble?

James Hasty likes this.
  3. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Stingley ran 4.37 in his 40 yard dash. Insane speed coming off his injury

James Hasty likes this.
  4. James Hasty

Oops, added him to the guys who will be gone leaving only one spot in the top 10 for a bubble player.

5. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think at least one WR goes top 10 and I could see two going in that range. The fact that they're not fully sorted yet has nothing to do with the overall talent level. This is a very good class for WR's. Similar to last year's class in my opinion. A lot of the guys are not ideal size but like Devonta Smith last year that doesn't mean a lot. Sometimes very good things come in small packages.

I think Hamilton and Linderbaum are the two safest picks on the board but I don't think either of them should go top 10. The economics of the cap make it really hard to support paying a superstar at S or interior OL. You want really good players in those places but you also want them to be affordable on the second deal because nobody can afford to let a good safety or center walk at 26 and nobody can afford to pay them top 5 on the cap either.

Barring a good trade offer from somebody I have no idea what the Jets should do on the #4. I'd really want to trade it down if I was Joe Douglas trying to make some hay in what might well be his last draft with the Jets.

At 10 I figure a WR is a no-brainer unless Gardner falls or somehow two WR's get taken in the top 9. Hard to see the 3rd WR being a good value play in a talented draft.

REVISion likes this.
  7. James Hasty

In the OP I named nine guys who are better than any WR this draft has to offer.

How do you figure two WRs in the top 10 and WR being a no brainer at # 10?

If two WRs go too ten which of the nine guys in the OP drop out?

KingRoach likes this.
  8. Br4d

Stingley is an easy fall because everybody is nervous about his injury. I think an OT/Edge could easily fall out of the top 10. Trevon Walker has 9.5 sacks in 2+ years at Georgia. I don't care what his combine looked like you have to look at what he did on the field and nothing he did there suggests he is anything special. #DRob

James Hasty likes this.
  9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I can absolutely see Stingley falling out of the top 10. While I think it's more likely he goes top 10, I can picture a scenario where Hamilton falls due to position and injury. Some mocks have actually had Cross falling, which, if you're Team Trade Down, seems like an ideal situation.

10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The 10th pick is purely based on who we take at 4 or if we trade back from 4. Edge needs to be addressed at 4 or 10 that has to be written in stone somewhere in JDs office. I just can’t see us not talking one and if we stay at 4 edge is the pick most likely.

Then at 10 is where it gets interesting… WR/CB/DT/LB/S are all in the mix. It’s really a mix bag.. I think JD will take the best guy on his board from those 5 positions as long as edge was the pick at 4.

11. James Hasty

The good thing about this stage in our growth as a young team is that we can take a player at almost any position and make it work.

If the best player is an edge we should take the edge.

Same goes for DB or any other position.

If we were to take a LB, DT, or C it might seem like a reach but an all pro at any of those positions (on a rookie deal) would be well worth the # 10 pick.

We just have to hope that our scouts have properly evaluated the players to know who is worth the risk.

KingRoach, Rockinz and Richard Lyman like this.
  12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head. The draft will always come down to our talent evaluation. I just hope we can finally get a drafted all pro. When was the last one?? Revis? Brick? Mangold?

James Hasty likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Pretty sure Adams was an all pro for us.

14. James Hasty

Our scouts were correct about what Adams could do but they whiffed on Mahomes.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

10 teams whiffed on mahomes. 12 on watson. every team whiffed on brady 5 times. it happens. hopefully JD can find the stud though and not the dud

16. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

There's also the nurture vs nature arguments. Would Mahomes be as good as he is now if he were under Bowles or Gase instead of Reid. Would Brady be in the GOAT conversation if he were not drafted by the Patriots? I think player development gets overlooked too often. The best drafting teams are often considered the best drafting teams because they are the best at developing young players.

REVISion and KingRoach like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

there is definitely some truth to that. sometimes players could have been good in different situations. sometimes players are good regardless.

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's perspective though.

Out of your top 10, I only think 5-6 are worthy. I would definitely take WR over several of those names listed.

Hutch, KT, Icky, Neal, and Sauce.. Only guys worthy to me.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. Br4d

What the Jets really want out of this draft are an Edge, a CB, and a WR who gets open down the field and runs naturally under the rainbows that are Zach Wilson's main strength.

The guys who match the profile at WR are all risks and probably better taken on the 35 or 38 or the 3rd round than in the top 10. We're talking people like George Pickens (ACL tear last year), Christian Watson (lightly used in a run-first offense like OBJ) and Skyy Moore (MAC player excelled against lesser competition). If Pickens hadn't torn the ACL we'd probably be taking him on the #4.

So if the Jets actually stand pat and go Edge on the #4 and CB on the #10 they're still in position to potentially hit the homerun threat they want opposite Elijah Moore early in the 2nd or 3rd round.

KY Jets Fan, LAJet and James Hasty like this.
  20. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

James Hasty likes this.