NFC South Bidding War!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Rockinz, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

SAINTS - With the Saints making an aggressive move to get 2 firsts and the need/want for a QB this could easily be a trade to gain assets to be able to move up. It so happens they would need to jump their fellow division rivals in Carolina and Atlanta. They signed Winston who they know isn’t the long term answer but could be a good bridge for a young QB. New coach very well wants his guy.

ATLANTA - Similar to the Saints the falcons also signed a bridge QB in Mariota and also have a second year coach looking for his guy. They are already in the top 10 but need to leap frog Carolina.

CAROLINA- Rhule is getting his last kick at the can so he will pull out all the stops for a QB.

So, what could these teams offer the Jets to pry #4 overall away? Can JD play these rivals against each other to get max value?! Or even over pay?! There is always a TAX in a bidding war especially in a unique situation where all 3 teams are division rivals.

This is what I think each Max offer will look like:

Saints - #4 + #163
    Jets - #16 + #19 + 2nd 2023

Atlanta - #4 + #163
    Jets - #8 + #58 + 1st 2023

Carolina - #4 + #163
    Jets - #6 + #137 + 2nd 2023

I added pick #163 to each deal to balance the picks as this is very common in draft day trades.

Which one would you take if it was on the table?

#1 Rockinz, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    Noam likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm all over that Saints trade.

Imagine walking away with something like -

#10 - Johnson
    #16 - Lindenbaum/Burks
    #19 - Lindenbaum/Olave

dmw, RochesterJet and Noam like this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You'd ideally like to have no more than 2 1st round picks since the salaries are high and you have the 5th year option issues. That is all 3 coming into the 5th year at the same time. Either you gotta get rid of at least 1 due to cap concerns or you have a bust.

Therefore gotta pass on the Saints possibility and spread the 1sts out like philly did. So I'd go for Atlanta.

twown, Br4d, chandler and 1 other person like this.
  4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Definitely Saints one is more appealing.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Saints trade is great.

by the way, what are the chances the Washington Commandos want to move up for a QB? They pick 11. If you moved down you would have back to back picks at 10 & 11 and probably add something cool like a first rounder next year

Rockinz likes this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Atlanta for me. I rather have multiple first rounders in 2023 than 3 first rounders this year.

Jojo, Rockinz, Acad23 and 9 others like this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don't think Philly spread the 1st out to avoid the cap issues. They added ammo for next years draft if Hurts sucks ass. Next year you have Young and Stroud coming out and that ammo is insurance for that to move up IMO.

Rockinz, IDFjet, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We should be thinking the same way.

IDFjet likes this.
  9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Atlanta for me. In a tough AFC we're looking at a juicy pick next year on our own accord, Atlanta's 1 next year is a top 4 pick for my money....ima pick twie in the top 10 this year and ima pick twice in the top ten next year....plus i get to balance contracts better

Rockinz, Br4d, RochesterJet and 2 others like this.
  10. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

all over Atlanta.

Also i have a tough time remembering when a team had 3 first round picks and had all that juice translate (plus the cap complications noted above)

i'd prefer to keep the ones in the more likely blue chip territory and with Atlanta you're getting one this year and probably one next year

FJF likes this.
  11. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

This is interesting, and I'm not super familiar with how all this works. But there are a couple things here I'm not understanding.

First, you mention that you don't want more than 2 1st round picks because the salaries are high. I don't get that. The salaries for all first round picks are not equal, and the salary we pay for keeping #4 is actually more than the two salaries combined we would pay if we traded #4 for #16 and #19, according to AboveTheCap.com:

#4 salary: $7M

#16 salary: $3M
    #19 salary: $3M

So, it would actually be $1M/year cheaper to trade #4 for #16 and #19 combined. Am I misunderstanding how this works?

Second, you also mention the 5th year option numbers. If we get three first-round picks that turn into two-time pro-bowlers in their first four years so we get stuck having to keep only two of them because of cap issues, that sounds like the kind of problem we should be excited to have. First world problems. I wouldn't let that keep us from doing the best we can to build a good roster to help Zach develop now.

ouchy, KingRoach and Noam like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A 1st round pick who proves out is going to get paid like a superstar whether he is or not.

That's the issue with having too many first round picks.

JAbe left town because he was injury-prone but also because Chad and Ellis got paid also.

IDFjet likes this.
  13. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

We got a late first round pick when we traded JAbe that became Nick Mangold. Having too many good players that need to be paid is not a problem, and can be a positive if you can you can recoup value by trading the ones you cannot afford.

14. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Highly skeptical of any of these offers being realistic, but that said, I take the Falcons one.

I understand the preference of immediate returns, but the Falcons really are a tire fire right now and the potential of that 2023 1st rounder landing in the top 5 is way too great to pass up.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The 5th year option & 2nd contract is where the real cap hit is....

IDFjet likes this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

No you're spot on. This notion that we don't want too many high picks because they are too expensive was a popular excuse last draft as well. Like it would be a bad thing to have too much talent, which is a problem top 4 teams have. But we don't want those problems.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The problem is not the rookie contract, it is the year 5 option and second contracts which all become due at the same time. If all 3 turn into good players it's hard to give them all what they want at that stage.

IDFjet and Br4d like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That's a problem of success. Look at what we almost ended up paying Tyrek Hill, and he wouldn't even have been home grown. If you cant carry everyone into the fifth year you trade one for more capital or better draft position. Hitting on a great player in the draft is always the best asset you can acquire.

Its almost like some of this fanbase has developed the JD notion that its better to always have a lot of cap space than to have a top team.

#18 ouchy, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Nail, Hit, Head!!!

ouchy likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't really get this as a problem.

Yes, you will have three getting a bigger contract at the same time but if you draft one a year later and he is a huge success you will have given two players a big contract and then another one years later all still to be paid for over a 3 or 4 span.

May as well be all at once.

Same for the next year's draft is stacked argument, it is always next year.

Time to get it done, a home run draft is required alongside Wilson stepping up markedly and we may, just may, finish a close bottom next year lol I jest but our group is the group of death and we are in danger of being left floundering miles behind.

ColoradoContrails likes this.