Evan Neal interviewing with Jets this week

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Leicester Jet, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

That could be posturing as well but who knows. If the take an OT at 4 I think writing is on the wall for Becton.

REVISion and Red Menace like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Fant only has 1 year left on his deal. Drafting ot doesn’t necessarily mean the end of becton, it gives flexibility and insurance on either side of the line.

4. Rockinz

Possibly but we could just resign Fant too. Just because he’s going to be a FA doesn’t mean we can’t/won’t resign him…

5. FJF

But it offers leverage and options. Just stating drafting Neal,or ickey, is a direct effect on becton is being short sighted. There’s a lot of variables

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Rockinz

Possibly. However, we have sooo many holes to fill I just can’t see us drafting depth when we need 3-4 starters out of this draft class.

joelip likes this.
  7. FJF

Jd isn’t, shouldn’t be thinking of just this year when drafting. That’s what free agency is for. You draft for the next 3-4 years minimum. Few draft picks add to the same season win total. Likely rookies will add more to the loss total.

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I said that on this board 2 months ago and people acted like I was crazy and thought it was a waste of resources.

If Fant wants a ton of money or if he has a terrible 2022 campaign, you have his replacement. Same can be said for Becton.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

But it wouldn't be just depth. The Jets announced over a month or two ago that they had contacted Fant's agent about an extension. Evidently things aren't going that well or are moving at a snail's pace. If that's still the case when the draft arrives, I could totally understand the Jets drafting an OT to protect themselves and Zach. They could then let Fant, Becton and the rookie all compete for the two starting spots, and the loser would get dealt, or they could just opt to deal Fant. They could also decide to keep Fant as depth/insurance this season, and then let him walk in FA.

ColoradoContrails and Rockinz like this.
  10. Rockinz

I’d hate to loose Fant he by far is our best OL asset. We’ll see how it all shakes out.

JetsKickAss and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Rockinz

I like thinking 2 steps ahead. I just feel Becton isn’t a great fit. I think if they draft an OT it’s because they don’t think so either. Especially at 4 where we could get a quality pass rusher.

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

JD's just going to keep drafting OL in the first round until we have them starting at FB, RB, WR, and TE.

13. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Taking Neal or Ikey at 4 was a lot easier to justify a month ago when there was an opening at guard. The signing of Tomlinson make it a lot harder to defend unless it is accompanied with a Fant or Becton trade. Is the trade return for Fant or Becton worth pulling the trigger on such a deal to take Neal or Ikey at 4? Honestly not sure.

The pursuits of Tyreek Hill and Chandler Jones has me believing that there is at least one non-Edge/WR that JD is very, very high on.

REVISion likes this.
  14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I agree with that take; much easier to justify take Ekwonu at 4 before Tomlinson signed. I personally wouldn't take either at 4 and if KT isn't there, I'd take Jermaine Johnson and be done with it since he won't be there at 10.

I do think the non-edge/wr player he's high on is Sauce.

15. FJF

I don’t think he takes Neal over kt but in the event it goes icky hutch kt than Neal is a viable option and probably bpa .

16. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Can we play one of them at the other tackle spot or guard ?

17. Rockinz

Not really… we just paidTomlinson and drafted AVT for our guard spots. Becton and Fant at OT.