Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

I have been looking at a lot of the mock drafts and some of them are just ridiculous. Some of them feel the Jets will load up on defense for the first two picks at 4 and 10. I can see them picking KT at 4 if he falls or take Jermain Johnson. Trevon Walker reminds me of Gholston and I wouldn't touch him. But the pick I am more interested at 10. I believe the Jets will take a WR at 10 and Wilson if still there would be my choice. If they move down a little bit and trade 10 I can see them picking Jamison Williams if he is available in the teens if the Jets move back. If the Jets move down to 20 or so I would hope they pick Christian Watson who did well at the senior bowl and lit up the 40 at the combine. At 6 4 he has the size, strength and speed to be a true #1. I wouldn't touch London as he doesn't have the speed to be a true number !. Also if you look at JD's strategy on quality he likes in his players is speed. Michael Carter, Moore, Echols, all ran sub 4.4 40s so I would highly doubt he would take London which a lot of the mock drafts have the Jets taking at 10.

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I agree WR is an absolute must at 10.

For me it’s Burks than everyone else. Nobody dominated the position in college in this draft like he did. He had many significant games against the best competition in the country. His combination of football speed, girth, hands, playmaking ability and football sense is what leads me to believe he will be the best WR in the class and possibly the best prospect in the class.

Williams would also be in the conversation at 10 but I doubt he’s ready for training camp and with a young QB you need those reps to start building chemistry. If they took him I can understand why as his ceiling is really high.

I like Wilson too and would be fine with that pick at 10. I think he has a really nice combination of speed, hands and route running that reminds me of Moore. Do they go with a similar player to what is already on the squad? Maybe.

London won’t be the pick at 10. He just doesn’t check enough boxes to be worthy of the pick. In fact I could see him fall in the draft which might be good for him if he winds up on GB or KC. His broken ankle is also a major concern as that is one of the worst injuries a WR can sustain.

Watson is a land mine. He’s John Ross 2.0. Nothing impresses me on film. He played in a pro style offence and didn’t have 1 dominant game to hang his hat on and that’s in division 2. He is the fast rising work out warrior of the year. Pass.

Olave is really interesting to me because he is so smooth, fast and runs routes like a technician. It would definitely be a reach at 10 but if we slid back to 20 and he’s there I have no problem with the pick.

Dotson falls in a similar situation as Olave. I really like the player in the back third of the first round or at 35 if rumours are true and they load up on D in the first round. Alec Pierce falls in this category as well.

Jojo, boozer32, york61 and 1 other person like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

How did we get to this position that they have to over draft a wide receiver

Joe Douglas has used multiple 2nd round picks and multiple big free agent signings at the position and yet it’s apparently still a need.

We want him to keep trying?

tomdeb likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah, we do. Just because we’ve sunk resources into the position and it’s still devoid of talent, doesn’t mean you punt on the position and only throw to backs and running backs.

I don’t think receiver is a must at 10 though. It’s a pretty deep class and we should see some good players available at both second round picks.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I say take the edge at 4 and take the Utah MLB at 10, he’s a franchise changing MLB.

Acad23 and FJF like this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Man I love Lloyd. He’s so good. He is one on film that just shows everything you want from a LB. However, if Burks is sitting there I just can’t see how JD would pass on him. He’s a perfect fit for our offence.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

There is a lot of talent in this draft.

We are also a team that could use help at most positions.

Getting hung up on a receiver at pick 10 when this draft is deep at WR with no one special at the top just doesn't make sense to me.

Finding help later in the draft or even next year is not the worst idea.

8. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

The jets should be doing whatever is necessary to land sauce Gardner. If he’s there at 4 you take him and don’t think twice.

I do think a sneaky selection is OT at 4 or 10. The jets brass values protecting Wilson (as they should) and their comments that Becton “will be one of our starting tackles” makes me think they don’t trust him or have faith in him to be Zach’s blind side protector for the next 10 years, and would pick Icky or Neal if available. They just picked Becton high last year and the fact that he doesn’t commit to him as the LT is very telling.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And then move back into the first for Olave.
    KT
    loyd
    Olave
    Would be a haul at much needed positions

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Picking Sauce means they really didn’t think the corners were all that good. Hall is highly regarded and I felt Echols finished strong while starting off struggling a bit. With Reed in the fold, he’s taking over the slot and may play some outside. MC becomes the Dime guy. I’m not saying Sauce wouldn’t work, just not sure about him there especially since they’ve seemed to like the work some of these corners are doing. And they have a more pressing need at EDGE. I just want thibs screaming off the edge alongside Lawson. And then the plethora of decent rushers the Jets have can rotate in and out.

As far as WR, I’ve stanned for Burks for a while here and he’s still my pick. I do want this WR to have a larger catch radius and someone who can contest for one on one balls. London does fit this but I know his long speed is questionable. Can he be in the mold
    Of Mike Evans or Mike Williams? I know that would work here. Or do you go grab Olave/Wilson/Jameson…more quicker and faster? The class is loaded but we know if there’s someone that JD and staff likes, they won’t hesistate to grab them and make moves to.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If our corners were all that good we would have won more games last year.

Maybe Hall could pass for a # 1 CB but he would be an outstanding # 2 CB.

Take a look at the teams that went deep into the playoffs and then look at our team.

Sure many of our starters had some games where they looked OK but do they really compare with the starters from the playoff contenders?

This team needs all the talent it can get and we do that by not worrying about whether we need someone at the position instead of taking the best talent that falls into our laps.

12. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I think pure speed is the most overrated aspect for a receiver.
    The most important is hands, ability to get/reach ball, body positioning, abiliy to change direction and route running.
    Pure speed other than trying to catch a defense a sleep is not really that valuable.

Look at Denzel Mims vs Justin Jefferson/Cooper Kupp. No comparison between them even though Mims did had better combine numbers.

I do not have crytal balls and I cannot predict the future but from what I have seen of Drake London let me believe he will be a handful to handle for any cornerback. He reminds me a lot of Brandon Marshall with the way he always get away with the ball.

I am not too concerned if we draft Wilson or any other receiver in the draft. As long as we use them in the proper way and give them proper chances to blossom in our offense.

REVISion and Aero like this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I agree. Also not concerned if the Jets draft no WR in the first 2 rounds. JD did what he needed to do last season getting Cole and Davis in FA and drafting an excellent prospect in Moore. The key to the Jets passing offense is and will be Zach Wilson. When he performs as we hope he will, the receivers performance will come along with him. When thinking about the great QBs, those guys always found people to throw to. It's the QB that matters. You can draft the second coming of Jerry Rice, but he would be of little help if the QB can't get the ball to him.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think they need to move back up. I believe Dotson will be available at either second round pick. He would’ve been regarded the same as Olave and maybe close to Wilson if he was in that Ohio State offense IMO.

It also seems like David Bell has tumbled quite a bit due to shitty combine times. He’d be a good add and compliment to Moore. Could be an Anquan Boldin type situation where the time is irrelevant because the on-field play is superb and someone steals him.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I guess we're just going to go back and forth on London vs. Burks all the way up until the draft haha.

Regarding the first bold point:

Burks' stats last season were 12 games, 66 receptions, 1,104 yards, 11 TDs.

London's stats last season, extrapolated over 12 games, would've been 132 receptions, 1,626 yards, 11 TDs.

Idk but London's statline looks a lot more dominant to me. I get the level of competition thing, but the SEC isn't THAT much better than the PAC-12.

Regarding their speed, I expect they'll run about the same 40 once London runs at his pro day, and to me London is noticeably quicker on tape when accelerating and changing direction. The broken ankle isn't ideal but we just saw Jaylen Waddle put up over 1,000 yards in his rookie season fresh off a way worse broken ankle than London had.

Burks is a perfect fit for our offense despite the fact that London is quantifiably a better YAC guy? It doesn't make sense. We aren't going to be running gadget plays with Treylon Burks as long as we have Moore and Berrios on the roster. The Deebo comparison for Burks has to be one of the strangest player comps I've ever seen.

PJ4Ever and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What if both edge guys are gone by 4 and JD uses 4 on a tackle (likely). That leaves 10 for defense (finally) or another offensive player, WR. Then what?

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Gotta love how London's long speed is "questionable" but 4.55 Burks is your guy, even though you want a guy with a larger catch radius which is more true of London than Burks.

Typical Mogriff take, just makes 0 sense and made up as you go.

PJ4Ever and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t know that I’d call Perriman and Davis big FA signings. Perriman was him trying to get cute hoping someone else’s failed project becomes worthwhile. Davis was a solid #2 that JD signed hoping he’d step up and be a #1. Davis showed he’s not a #1 and can’t handle pressure of it nor is he good enough to take on the opponent’s best DB’s, he needs to be moved back to 2. Mims was a disaster and Moore looked good in spells but missed nearly half a season over a hamstring. We need a bonafide #1 stud that can take control of the game. Personally I think we should double dip at WR in the first 2 rounds. I don’t ever want to see Jeff Smith or the litany of UPS drivers we keep parading out there when a receiver gets hurt. We’re going to be losing Corey Davis after this season, and I predict Mims get cut this camp. We need to stock up on real talent to help a struggling young QB, and if said QB continues to struggle at least we’d have an attractive offense for the next QB that wants to jump ship to win a title.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with all of your comments except regarding Watson. If NDSU's offense is a pro-style offense, it's one from the 1950s aka 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It is not a modern day pro-style offense. Watson was used primarily as a blocker and decoy. He'd get maybe 5-7 passes thrown his way in the entire game, and would often go long periods of the game without a pass being thrown in his direction. He is a complete football player, has a good football IQ, and is not just a workout warrior. That is flat out wrong. He did very well at the Sr. Bowl. In one-on-one drills, no one could cover him. He did well in the game. With the Jets' CS coaching him at the Sr. Bowl they know whether they like him or not and what his potential is. If they don't take him, then that's fine with me. It could signal that they're wrong, or it could signal that they think he will need a year or two to develop, and they need someone who can step in and play at a high level immediately. I trust them. Thankfully, there are other good WRs in this draft, but I would be quite happy if they took Watson.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously? The draft is a crapshoot. Not every player works out. When you have a weak position, you don't just give up on it, you have to keep trying.