Throttling.. Or how your Internet Provider is ripping you off..

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its legal. It's called "throttling". Remember an issue a few years ago involving "net neutrality"? Well, the SCOTUS refused to hear the case and a US District Judge sided with the providers on this. The result is that they can throttle down your bandwidth so the business class can maintain their Wide Area Network speeds. In effect, the speed you pay for rarely will be the speed you get. Do a speedtest and check that against the speed you pay for monthly. Sometimes you'll be at the speed, most times you'll be below. Sadly, this is legal so just be aware. Occasionally do a speedtest on your internet services and make sure you're getting at least close to what you're paying for. BTW, Time of Day matters too so be aware your speed might be slower during business and early evening hours.

Let me know your experiences with this if any..

JetBlue likes this.
  2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I check my speed relatively often, right now I am at 99.98 mbps download and 102.82 mbps upload. This is a little strange for me as I am usually around 100 on download but a bit lower on upload.

I use ookla which is at speedtest.net

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m at 115, I guess it’s ok for now, I’ll test it again tonight.

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's such bs. It's almost up there with the health insurance industry, but there's really nothing worse than that.

Yes, they definitely throttle, and cell phone companies are also in on it every which way but loose. I just say to my internet provider when I have an issue on my bill (which I almost always do) when they try to pill push faster speed for more $ that I don't give a rat's ass.

I don't do gaming. I don't download music. The end. Yeah, but, but . . . I don't care. Yeah, but, but . . . Meanwhile back at the ranch there is a hub 3 houses up from me and my internet service has sucked for years. Fck you, Frontier.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yeah, when it comes to bills, I'm one of those people. Anytime anything goes up even a penny, I question it. Infrastructure charges what infrastructure WHERE. They can stick on anything that they want.

Currently in a standoff with Sprint. Oh, boy, is that ever a story. They've been threatening to turn my phone off (more like it won't work) for almost a year now unless I upgrade to a 5G phone and switch to T-Mobile (they merged, but there's a hell of a lot more to this).

Plus, around here there isn't even a 5G network in most places. IT'S A 5G CAPABLE PHONE, THAT'S IT. It was the same garbage they pulled with 4G a long time ago, but they keep insisting now that I'm 3G but I'm looking at it bitches, it says 4G. Plus back then you had to be where 4G was available, so if I'm somewhere where 5G is not available why are you bothering me?

The last time I was in Italy I was able to talk to and hear people clear as day there and overseas to the U.S. and Italy's service pretty much sucks. Meanwhile I can't hear my SIL to save my life in the same town that I live in and talking to the old man on the job is like he's underwater or buried under concrete. Honest, I can't get him 90% of the time and it's not because he's sick of my shit.

#5 jetophile, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Geez, and I thought it stopped at — well lock you in at $135 for cable, phone and internet for 2 years. Then when that’s up we’ll take your limbs

7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Thank all the suckers who wanted to end net neutrality.

Soon you'll have to pay for access plans, like 500GB or unlimited.

#7 JackBower, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  8. typeOnegative13NY

I’m about to cancel cable. Just keep the phone(need the number as it’s on all my adverstising), and internet. We watch maybe 4 channels and mostly stream . I’m sure there’s a way I can get needed channels without their ridiculous rates.
    I’m still a technology dinosaur. I just bought my first smart tv today. I was using a google chrome cast lol. My 7 year old Samsung 65 inch went last night (got stuck turning on and off , won’t respond to remote or power button. Even does it as soon as I plug it back in. Figure it’s either the power control inside, or an hdmi glitch). Putting it in the new box tonight , putting it on the driveway and hoping a thief will save me a trip to the dump.

bicketybam likes this.
  9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

My household has no cable for years. We have streaming services netflix, espn+, shotime, and ufcfightpass. Got amazon prime too. Whole thing is $40 a month plus the amazon prime payment of 130/yr. But I also may press some keys on my keyboard and miraculously other content like movies and series just appear somehow.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

[​IMG]

You guys are getting molested. I pay 80 bucks a month.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

What are you uploading at 100gb? Are you a spy?

Are you a RUSSIAN?

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

When I record a new donkey video it's imperative to get it uploaded as quick as possible, my fans demand it

abyzmul likes this.
  13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

My laptop downstairs is getting 211 Mbps at the moment.

My PC upstairs plugged directly into the modem gets over 800.

14. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Eh. It’s all perspective, really. Try looking at the sunny side of things. Chubby Asian lesbian amputees need a breather every few seconds anyway. Plus, an extra two or three minutes of downloading just means less blinking my eyes clear and rewinding. Everything’s always rush, rush, rush. Savor, man.

#14 Sundayjack, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    abyzmul and Dierking like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I had a coworker that used to fight the cable company about the speeds he was actually getting. And I agree it’s bullshit, but does it really matter? How much faster do you need your internet to be?

My shits lightning quick and rarely goes down and whenever I run one of those speed tests it’s significantly lower than what it should be.

The fuck are all you guys doing that you’re bitching about download speed?

16. Cman68

Its the difference between what I'm paying for and what I'm getting. Kinda like buying a dozen eggs and getting 10 in the box.

17. typeOnegative13NY

Anyone here use fubutv? Or something similar ?

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I get it but if you didn’t have that nifty upload/download speed tool, would you be in the mindset that your internet isn’t fast enough in any capacity?

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Cman68

My Internet is actually fast enough but my wife and her job apps suck down a lot of BW. I reset the QoS to favor her bandwidth requirements. As it turns out, my router is actually my bottleneck as my Cable modem is receiving a good signal level. I have a new router in the box waiting to be installed. Paying for 900mb and averaging 150mb is a problem for me..