In defense of Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bleedgreen, Mar 22, 2022.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

This was after the season, like 6 weeks ago. Nice try.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I *still* think the Jets would be better off with *any* starting caliber veteran QB over the guy we have now.

3. bicketybam

That's a new and interesting take from you.

cval and KingRoach like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson also sucks. But at least there’s a possibility that he won’t suck since he only sucked in his rookie season. Garoppolo has sucked for his entire career and been lifted by an elite running game, defense and All-Pro’s. His ceiling is defined. Wilson’s is not.

PJ4Ever and REVISion like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Technology has also changed a lot of this as well as the natural evolution of so-called “night life.”

Players no longer need to go clubbing to land what they’re looking for. They can use social media and order room service without ever hitting up a night club especially if that ain’t their thing. Also - most markets that have sports franchises are relatively big enough to have some sort of relevant night life sans Green Bay and Buffalo and even they have some solid scenes even if it’s awful to navigate in December.

The draw of being in NYC or near it in the case of Jets/Giants is no longer there. NYC was an awesome draw 30 years ago. Now? It’s just a hassle and not sure how many of you guys have been there recently but it’s an absolute dump.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Garoppolo is a better QB than anyone the Jets have had since Pennington.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Meh. I know you like going at me over this. But I’d have confidence that the 49ers results would’ve been similar with Sanchez and Darnold with that team and coaching staff.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

YEAH. Loads o people have already given up on 1) Mehki 2) Zach

they COULD be right. but then again, the COULD be wrong.

All in all we dont pick. Mostly wannabes who play fantasy & think they are smart.
    Every single year there are loads and loads of guys drafted who fail. They are picked by professionals.

I root for Zach now b/c I was looking into alternatives to TL cos I "knew" (had a gut feeling) we wouldnt go 0-16 and we would not have the #1 pick.
    So I began to look beyond Fields and found Zach and he looked, to me, like he COULD be a good one in the NFL.

picks and value of picks all boild down to who tf you select. I preferred Wirfs to Mehki. So far I got that one right. But its only year 3.

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You could be right, but they could never seem to win with Mullens or Beathard.

ouchy likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Niners are 7-26 when Garoppolo is hurt and 31-14 when he is the starter. He has a 98.3 rating on the niners with 66 TDs and over 11,000 yards. You can ding him for not staying healthy, or maybe because he isn't a top 5 QB, but Sanchez and Darnold aren't in his league.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The 49ers went all in for a QB last year even with Garoppolo. They believe, and I can't disagree, that he can only take them so far. He can bring stability to a team which is rebuilding but doesn't have a QB. The Jets are trying to develop Zach(and I'm not saying you have to like it). He'd be perfect for the Seahawks if they want to be competitive while searching for their next franchise QB, but would the 49ers trade to a division rival? Doubt it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Being better than guys that are struggling to find a job in the NFL doesn’t make you good.

The Jets were 13-26 with Darnold. They were 0-10 without him in three years.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Your correct, but having a 98.3 career passer rating is good. Sanchez and Darnold are/were the definition of guys struggling to find a job. Both of their starting careers ended with their rookie contracts. Garoppollo is going into year 9 looking to sign his 3rd contract. I'm not sure how you can say Mark or Sam could play as well as Jimmy G?

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Well given as how we can’t simulate it with the same circumstances that Garoppolo played under, we don’t have to keep arguing about it.

Have you ever watched him play? Consistently? Week to week? It’s unbelievable how much the guy benefitted from the stars around him man. The deliberate effort to hide him in the playoffs is the same thing the Jets did with Sanchez.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GaroJi00/gamelog/post/

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Garoppolo would be the best QB the Jets have had in more than a decade.

Would he be good enough to win it all?

That's like asking if the guy you are hiring to drive your VW Beetle could win the Indy 500.

16. bicketybam

Of course he's not good enough to win it all. He's been on teams that would have if it weren't for him.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

This again doesn’t make him “good,” when he’s going head to head with Josh McCown, Geno and Darnold and friends.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone thinks they are better than JD as a GM, certainly I don't. I believe he has been the best GM we've had in a very long time. But as a long suffering Jets fan for decades, I can have an opinion, which may turn out to be correct, while JD can misjudge something here and there as well. Even in his recent interview JD admitted "As free agency unfolded we saw market going a little crazy at <WR> position". This is as close as you are going to get to him admitting he misread the market initially, and the offer that followed for Hill to me constitutes an adjustment. If you are still not convinced, we will just have to disagree on this one.

5:20

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I don't think JD misread anything, but even if he did, he wasn't alone. I don't think a single GM in the NFL or anyone else expected the WR market to go as crazy as it did and salaries to be so crazy.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

how long does joe douglas have to build a winner? i dont hate what he has done this off season but i didnt hate what he did last off season either and well we all saw how inept the team was. hopefully heading in the right direction and sooner than later.

REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.