Saleh Press Conference - 3/28/22 - AVT moving to Right Guard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 28, 2022.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

IIRC, he had issues with finding time to get into the gym and maintaining a proper diet.

Noam likes this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Maybe Saleh's the contingency plan at RT if Becton isn't healthy.

PJ4Ever, mattyd99, Borat and 2 others like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The bold is the key part.

I see so many takes along the lines of "Mekhi's a big guy, of course it's going to take him longer to heal. No big deal, what did you expect?"

Like...that's still an awful thing lol. It doesn't become not an issue just because it's to be expected.

4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Second round for a tackle. The staff saw some good ones at the senior bowl. If a team goes that high for a player he has to start. The Jets are looking for a backup to bring along and step in if necessary.

Noam likes this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

Going to take a stab at the Jets 1st 4 picks here.

Edge
    WR
    Developmental OT/S
    Whichever wasn't taken at 35

hornblower likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I feel good about his stance. It wasn’t posturing but he he gave nothing away but credit to his team. JDs poker face is on!

Noam likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Positionally, this makes all the sense in the world. The only concern is if Hutch and KT are off the board at 4. Then we have Walker, who is super athlete but was a subpair player in College, and JJ, who is 2 years older than typical junior, and also has a low pressure rate in College, in spite of converting for good # of sacks. In original mocks, which are largely based on College production, Walker was consensus late first rounder and consensus JJ second rounder. Yes, JJ had literally two nice practices in sr Bowl since before he deiced to quit while he was ahead, didn't even play in the Bowl as not to hurt his stock, and Walker measured great athletically, but should not be enough to move them this high. Unless Saleh thinks he can mold one of them into a great player, these two are a fairly big reach at #4.

Then what do you do? Trade back if possible? Maybe. And if not, do you still go Edge? It's a little tough to justify IMO. I am hoping KT is there, so that JD does not have to face this tough choice. At #10, I am almost certain we are going WR. There are a few really good ones with prolific College Careers, such as Wilson, London, Olave, and we will get a choice of top or maybe at worst second in the class.

No brainer to take the pick of littler at WR at that point.. Unless KT is not there at #4, we are picking next best guy who is not WR/Edge, and #10 could then be Edge. I feel a lot of what happens in the draft will depend on whether KT slides to us at #4.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm thinking edge, WR, S, and DT for the 1st 4 picks.
    developmental o-line and maybe LBer, RB and TE will come with picks 3,4,4,5,5

NYJFOREVER and Noam like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Edge/tackle
    Tackle/edge
    Wr /db
    Db/wr
    The first 2 picks will weigh over 500lbs

Red Menace likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that Johnson only did 2 practices at the Sr. Bowl and had forgotten he didn't play. That's not a good sign and as bad as KT not finishing the drills at the Combine, maybe worse.

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

There's no way they're going to do this but I was thinking, what if the NYJ took WR at 4 and 10? Say London and an OSU receiver.

This would set up a release of Corey in 2023 giving the 2 rooks a year of NFL practice.

For this year we'd have 5 WR's locked and a battle for 6.

Maybe trade mims for a 5th?

In 2023 we'd have a killer WR situation.

12. NYJFOREVER

Hopefully they get KT at 4.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I think Saleh is a good HC - for a rookie - he hasn't proven himself good enough for me to trust him to be able to "coach up" players at this point. I mean that's what good coaches do, and maybe there's some examples of him doing this here, but I wouldn't base picking a guy at 4 or 10 on his say so. Those picks need to be "slam dunks" not "projects".

When I weigh the evaluations of the potential players that might be considered at 4 and 10, I've gone all over the place, but I'm coming around to the opinion offered by some here before that regardless of the position, we need to get a "can't miss" player (keeping in mind there is no such thing as a guaranteed "can't miss" prospect). With that in mind, I don't think Thibodeaux fits that bill, not is there any WR that does. In light of this I think I want JD to take one of the T if there; if not, then take Hamilton or Sauce, whichever he believes he can't get another player close to in ability. Then at 10, there are WRs that should be considered - my preference would be Williams, but possibly Wilson or Watson - and looking for the Edge with the 3rd or 4th pick. The other possibility - and I think a strong one - is that Douglas trades back out of 4 and/or 10, and that would change my thinking as outlined above.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is very interesting. Jameson was by far my favorite WR pre injury to the point I was considering him for #4 pick, and I didn't think he would last until #10. After he tore ACL, and given Jets injury history, I didn't give much thought about him ... until JD offered arm and a leg and one of his testicles for Hill. Hill's biggest asset is ability to take top off the defense, run after catch. Basically same qualities I liked in Williams, who would be on a rookie deal.

I don't think JD spends #10 straight up at him, but wonder if JD would trade out of #10 thinking he can then grab Jamison in teens? If the plan is to get another WR in the second or third round to improve chances of success at the position, would he take a gamble? Aside from this injury, Jameson never had any injury history in 37 games as WR and also punt/kick returner, and may be ready as early as training camp. Granted, I think he will end up missing first few games, but my concern is not that, but possible reoccurrence.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree, also his coat is shiny and he looks like he has strong teeth. I can't tell if he's neutered.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

For a second I thought you were talking about Becton.... :confused:

17. ColoradoContrails

Well all I can say is that if you really like a player, you don't piss around for the sake of "taking him at the right spot", you take him. I'm not talking about overdrafting - like taking a QN like Hackenberg in the 2nd round (as opposed to maybe signing him as a UDFA), but if you're drafting at 10, and "the Book" says he should go in the mid-teens you take him at 10 rather than gamble on missing out on him. That's what Douglas did )I believe) when he traded back and wound up with Mims - I don't believe Mims was his target, I believe it was Jefferson or one of the other guys whose names I can't recall right now that he wanted, but he got "cute" thinking they'd still be there for him. Williams was the consensus #1 WR before he got hurt. ACLs are routinely repaired 100%, and he's ahead of schedule in his rehab, and like Simms said in his analysis, this isn't a player you're taking for 1 year like a FA, he's a 4-5 year investment, so even if he misses a few games that's not a big deal. He's exactly the kind of receiver the Jets need.

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Can you please apply to be assistant GM? Love your takes CC

19. ColoradoContrails

Thanks, but if I can't be the boss, I don't want it!:p

Seriously, there's a lot of guys here with more football knowledge than me, and I've profited a lot from it...it's why I became a member. I don't belong to any other forums so I can't really compare TGG to any others, but despite some guys bogging things down now and then, overall it's a great place to learn about football and the Jets. Thanks for being a Mod and putting up with all of us!

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't care about him missing a few games this year. I worry about reoccurrence of the injury - it's not 100% repair. "Athletes younger than 25 years who return to sports exhibit a reinjury rate of 23% and are at 6 times greater risk for subsequent knee injury compared with uninjured athletes." Another article on this suggests 55% don't return to previous level of play, also mentioning 25% rate of reoccurrence. It's very possible Jameson returns to similar level and it is likely he won't have recurrence, but chances are significantly lower than for uninjured athlete.

So, it's not about a few games, but a longer investment and availability as well as ability. With all that, Jameson might still be the best option at #10, because pre injury for me he was top 5 pick. But because of the injury it is not a slam dunk like Simms, whom I also like, suggests. At this point, seeing how much JD wanted to invest in Hill, if Williams has the best chance to provide that, perhaps I would still roll the dice at #10. This is not an easy call though given the above data.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.