#4 PICK

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jojo, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Shocker
    AHMAD SAUCE GARDENER
    the AFC east landscape has changed so much last week. Hes a necessary evil.
    I have no problems with that pick.
    This is my guess as of right now, until things change
    WR at 10

KingRoach, IIMeanDeanII and boozer32 like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You don't stop WRs, QBs and/or offenses with CBs. You stop them or at least slow them down with a strong pass rush. There's no way we should take Gardner over an Edge and WR in the 1st round.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I really think we have to go with an edge if we stay at #4.

With that said Sauce is a special player with great talent, technique, and character

The WRs in this class are dine a dozen and I do not see a big drop off in what we could get at 10 vs what would be available later.

If we traded down from 4 or up from 10 i could see us taking Gardener after the top three edge rushers are gone.

Sundayjack likes this.
  4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Edge is 1st option
    Sauce is 2nd option
    OT is 3rd option

This is for the 4th pick

NoodleArm, Noam and James Hasty like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Not sure I can agree here. When we had Revis, he basically took away the top WR from opposing teams. I do believe we need a game changing Edge more than another CB at the moment, but stud CB's can make a difference.

boozer32, BacktoQueens, WW85 and 5 others like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that was a different system. an expensive lock down man CB in our system is a waste

7. NCJetsfan

CBs can definitely make a difference, and Revis was truly a difference maker. The problem was that I think Revis often wound up covering the #2 WR, and the opposing team would just flood the field with WRs, Revis would have his man covered, but most of the other receivers would be open. Even Revis could only generally keep his man covered for around 4 seconds then things broke down, or the ball would be thrown to another receiver or thrown away.

The best ways to slow down/stop the other team's passing attack are a strong pass rush, and a great ball control offense that keeps the opposing offense off the field.

#7 NCJetsfan, Mar 25, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We had an actual pass rush then, predicated upon blitzing rather than having stud Edge rushers...it was a 3-4 scheme which Rex made effective, but I always hated because it eventually got exposed. When Revis returned for king's ransom he wasn't nearly as effective because he was older and injur prone and the pass rush wasn't there.

It would be nice to have a "Sauce Island", but we need to have a MUCH better pass rush even more than that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I was an EDGE at #4 person, but I talked myself out of that. There is depth at EDGE, and with the rumored rise of QBs & WRs in mocks, I think waiting on EDGE to #10 or even trading up from RD 2 into the teens might be the wisest plan.

It sounds like the top 10 will feature:
    2-3 OTs (Ekwonu, Neal, Cross)
    2-3 DEs (Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker)
    2 DBs (Hamilton, Sauce)
    1-2 QBs (Willis, Pickett)
    1-2 WRs (Wilson, London)

It's unlikely one of the DBs make it to 10. We're not taking a QB, and can't trust a trade down being available at #10. I don't think we'd take Cross. EDGE feels like the position where you can defer to #10 & be happy landing the third or 4th best in this class. The question is are we better off with the top DB/WR and 3rd or 4th EDGE or 2nd EDGE and 3rd DB/WR? I'm leaning towards the former assuming a godfather trade down opportunity doesn't present itself.

10. James Hasty

A cover corner might be a luxury but it is not a waste.

One man sealing half the field makes everyone elses job easier.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

People are saying edge at # 4, while I agree edge rushers have more value than CBs, you have to look at who's available at # 4.

I wouldn't touch Walker at # 4 and I have concerns drafting Thibs that early also. My favorite pass rusher is Jermaine Johnson. What I like about Johnson is his motor getting to the QB and he plays the run just as well. Kirby Smart wanted to use JJ as a situational player and that's why JJ transferred to FSU. JJ proved he's a 4 down player. ACC player of the year!!!

The issue is most so called experts believe JJ isn't the second best edge in the draft and not worth the 4th pick.

I said this before, we need to take the BPA at # 4, that will be an immediate starter and impact player.

JJ may not make it to # 10.

Noam and Red Menace like this.
  12. James Hasty

I would be surprised to see a WR in the top 10 and disappointed if we were the ones who reached.

Noam likes this.
  13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You're sleeping on Jermaine Johnson, IMO, he's a top 10 player.

NYJFOREVER and Jojo like this.
  14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

There is some logic to grabbing Sauce at 4 and BPA at 10.

If Thibs doesn't fall or JD doesn't believe in him?

Would anyone really be mad at Sauce and JJ?

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I think it all depends upon whom is sitting at #4. If it's KT or Hutch, there's no question, the who's there has to be the pick. Then I'd take Wilson at #10, but if Atlanta had taken Wilson at #8, I'd take Sauce if he's still there and I thought I could get Watson at #35. If I didn't think Watson would make it to #35, I'd probably take him at #10, but could take Sauce and hope that Pickens or Dotson would at least be there at #35, or I might look to trade down and then take Watson or Burks.

If both KT and Hutch are gone, and we're looking at Sauce, Hamilton, Wilson, Neal, and JJ, there's no question in my mind that Sauce and Hamilton are the better prospects, but drafting a S or CB is not necessary. One might say go BPA, but the problem with that is if we do that, we could wind up missing out on a top WR or Edge prospect altogether if we take a CB or S at #4. We might get the Edge at #10, but all the WRs we like might be gone by #35. We desperately need both a topflight WR and Edge prospects. There are no excuses not to leave the draft with those two positions significantly addressed.

The key for me would be whether I thought one of Watson, Pickens and Dotson would make it to #35 or not. If I didn't, then I wouldn't hesitate, I'd take Wilson even though he's the 3rd or 4th best prospect at that point. If I did think that at least one of maybe all three would make it to #35, then I'd probably take Sauce at #4, take an Edge at #10, and then take Watson, Pickens or Dotson at #35 (Watson if he's there). Unless we're trading one of Fant or Becton, or have serious worries about Becton, the pick should not be Neal. We can get an Edge at #10, but may not be able to get Wilson at #10, and I wouldn't draft London. I'd take Wilson and know that at least I had done what I could to help Zach and the offense. I'd still look to take another WR at some point

16. NCJetsfan

It all depends. We desperately need a top WR prospect. Even as great as Sauce and JJ could be for our D, every one of the topnotch WR prospects could be gone by pick #35 and then we're screwed. That would make me mad as hell!

IMO ensuring that Zach and our offense develop this season is far and away the top priority. Everything else pales in comparison, even the Edge rush. While I don't really like London, and don't think Wilson is worthy of the #4 pick, we seriously might need to take Wilson at #4 to ensure that we get a top WR prospect. As many as 6-7 WRs could go in the 1st with Atlanta, GB, and KC all needing WRs, and I'm betting several other teams wanting and needing WRs too. That means that Wilson, London, Burks, Watson, Dotson, Williams, and Olave could all be gone in the 1st round. Even if not, Jacksonville and Detroit pick ahead of us in the 2nd. I doubt Jacksonville drafts a WR, but Detroit could, and they could get the last one of those WRs (Pickens). Then we're looking at 3rd or 4th tier WRs. That cannot happen.

IMO it would be better to reach a little for Wilson at #4, ensure we get that topnotch WR prospect, and we could still get a very good Edge prospect at #10 or take the Edge at #4, and then either take the WR we wanted at #10, or if we could traded down a few spots, then take the WR we wanted. We don't have to add a CB. Reed can be our #1 and Hall our #2 or vice versa. With a better pass rush, they will be more effective.

17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

My choices for #4
    1. Hutch (there’s a world in which he falls to 4)
    2. Thibs (if JD thinks he’s a step above the rest and they can turn the ego into his motivation)
    3. Trade down to 11-16 for 2023 1st (I’m spoiled by multiple picks)
    4. Trade down to 6-9 for 2022 2nd (we have a lot of holes)
    5. WR (if the CS thinks someone is worth the pick, a WR will sell tickets)
    6. Sauce (if none of the things above are possible or the evaluations are meh, Sauce is the best player at a high money position.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Why wait until #35? I think JD will be aggressive & triple dip in the 1st round. The 2 seconds could get us into the mid to late teens. A 2 & 3 could get us to the early 20s. There are some very good teams with great QBs and big WR needs. There's going to be 5-6 WRs going in the first round, and it's very possible that teams start jumping each other to get their preferred choice. With QBs & WRs rising up draft boards, some other position is going to fall. DE looks like that position.

19. NCJetsfan

Because we can't afford to trade up. Trading up is for suckers. That was a typical Tranny move that wound up leaving no depth and the cupboard bare. No way that JD should trade up. It's not often that a GM has 4 picks in the top 40. Wasting two of those to get one player is not smart imo.

The smarter thing would be to trade down from #10. As long as we get at least one of Wilson, Watson, Olave, Burks and Pickens, we'll be fine. Our 2nd WR could be in the 3rd or 4th round and could be Romeo Doubs, Wan'Dale Robinson or Alec Pierce.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I got a gut feeling we are trading back from #4. I just think the QB buzz is booming and the 4th pick is jumping 3 QB needy teams (Car/Atl/Sea).

The Texans already have a boatload of picks so I think they stand pat and take their guy who probably is probably a pass rusher.

Det will take Hutchison or a QB

Jags could trade back or take their guy. Who knows..

I think JD would slide as far as #12. So, with my theory that means we would either pick at 8/9/11/12 instead of 4 and we’d use our first pick on a WR.

NCJetsfan, Noam, FJF and 1 other person like this.