Tyreek Hill traded to Dolphins for five draft choices

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Sack exchange, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i agree with pretty much all of this…we’ll said. Totally agree that JD has won just about every trade…even the small ones like getting a 4th for Herndon and a 6th for Cashman…

I also like that he has set up this offseason well…our top remaining needs to me are edge, WR, LB, S, CB, RB….and the draft is supposedly strong at Edge and WR, so it lines up well.

I fully believe we need to take edge and WR with our first two picks…there is going to be a run at WR I want a sure thing at 10 instead of a gamble at 35…could turn out to be a Jefferson but could also turn out to be a Mims and we are desperate for WR. I like Moore a lot but he missed too much time…I like Davis as a 2 but he had too many drops and also missed time. Unless we get two more good options, we are looking at the likes of Smith and Montgomery again.

2. HotSauce

HotSauce Member

blackssmagic likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Tyreek Hill is THE WR that Tua needs..... and probably why they went big on this.

I just hope it fails like most Miami moves the past ten years

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I expect this to blow up in Miami's face. Even with Hill, the Dolphins aren't a playoff team given how good the AFC is. And Hill is going to get frustrated with Tua. Plus even the fact that Hill wanted to get traded to Miami shows me he isn't committed to winning. Expect him to put up some good numbers on a mediocre team the first couple years, and then either spend the rest of the contract enjoying his money or get disgruntled and request another trade.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm certain that Noam's post was NOT aimed at you!

Noam likes this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

NC is right my post was not about you at you at all. Rather, I am a great admirer of your posts, your knowledge and the way you treat others. If we had more posters half as thoughtful as yourself this forum would be a much nicer place. Your posts are one of the reasons I keep hanging around this forum. My apologies if there was any misunderstanding or offense.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I dunno, he is a great player. It really only flops if he loses interest and they don't involve him in

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I usually try to read all the posts in a thread before commenting but I knew at the point I jumped in that the deal was already done, and I really didn't want to waste my time reading the arguments pro and con about whether Douglas should try and go after him. I appreciate your (and NC's) kind words, and feel likewise about your posts. As for the people who grow tedious with their broken record posts, it's part of being on a fan forum, but sometimes I do get frustrated and push back...we're all human.

Noam likes this.
  9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

No offense

10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I have to say, your couple of posts in this thread are spot freaking on. I agree with damn near every single point you wrote.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I did not take offense, I was actually surprised that you think Jets can stay pathetic and expect ownership to just say ok another season we are bottom dwellers.

I’m looking at last season as a mulligan, but we all saw Wilson regress during the season too, to the point that he was throwing gimme passes at the receivers feet.

You saw the games, he lost so much confidence the Jets were happy that he did not turn the ball over, that was considered progress.

There was nothing else from him, I like Wilson and I want him to succeed as much as anyone here, i just believe that if he doesn’t improve and is the same QB we saw last year, and Jets don’t show wins as a result of JD off season efforts, Joe and Robert might not get the benefit of the doubt.

12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Why would you think he wouldn’t improve? Talent plus experience usually means success. There is no shortcut for any player or organization for that matter. Improvement comes a little at a time and doesn’t always show up on the scoreboard right away. Nothing is guaranteed but they are doing it the right way. I’m surprised you don’t see it.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Amazingly Cooper's 20 mil a year with team option each year contract sounds like a bargain right now even without restructuring. And JD wanted him too based on the report, but wanted to restructure before trade, which was not possible. I said it then that this was a big missed opportunity, and it certainly looks even more like that now. Btw, Browns were able to restructure him to save 15 mil.

I don't fault JD at all for not getting Hill, as he threw everything but the kitchen sink at him, it's the Cooper miss that stings the most, because it seemed like the one we could have had if we wanted to. Sometimes it feels like there is no need to jump on the first big opportunity, but here we are with WR market dried up and us being worse at the position than last year, when Zach had to throw to the guys Jets picked up in the tunnel on the way to the field.

Jets79 likes this.
  14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

He's "coming home"

So it was just going to be tough for us to win here with this deal even if we offered more trade value and was accepted.
    Wonder which deal Chiefs fans preferred

Borat likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed that Hill is different level from Cooper, but it would have taken a 5th round pick to get Cooper and 20 mil per year, with team option every year, which Browns later restructured to count 5 mil against the CAP this year. We could have had made Cooper deal AND still have gone after Hill. We need all the talent we can get for Zach to throw the ball to. Especially given injuries we had. We need to find out what we have in Zach. Now with rookies coming in at WR this goal is much harder to accomplish.

JD made the right decision to go after Hill in a major way. It's not his fault at all for not being able to get him, but there is nothing good about not getting him, and having to face him twice a year instead. With Hill it would have been easy to tell if Zach had it or not, and he does, Wilson->Hill would have been amazing to watch. Imagine having something similar here to what KC had with Mahomes and Hill. Now Zach's development is that much harder than it would have been otherwise.

And as far as length of the contract vs age, Hill just turned 28, and this is essentially a total 4 year deal with 5th year team option. He would have still been 31 when his contract expired. And the deal that was in place was basically 2 second rounders, plus swap of 3d for 4th, not even a 1st. There is no silver lining here. We came close to getting an amazing player, who was much needed, but he chose Miami. This is not the end of the world, but this really really hurts.

#555 Borat, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah, this bold bit has been crazy frustrating the last few years.

The NFL is super competitive. Every little misstep matters when trying to field a consistently good team. Winning meaningless games for the "culture" to miss out on Nick Bosa by one pick matters. Winning meaningless games to miss Lawrence by one pick matters. Picking Becton when the immediate all-pro Wirfs was on the board matters. Getting too cute trading back and missing Van Jefferson for Mims matters. You may not think Jefferson was that big a loss, but he had 300 more receiving yards than ANY of our receivers last year while Mims competed for the 6th spot on the depth chart.

That culture argument for winning meaningless games has always just baffled me. How'd that work out for us after missing Bosa, as we went on to average 4 wins per season over the next 3 years? Great thing we saved ourselves from becoming a losing culture by winning a single more game that year! It's ridiculous.

You know what forges a winning culture? Drafting studs and winning games because of it.

That's why people get so upset when others act like they're overreacting to these seemingly insignificant missteps. They all add up and have bad ripple effects. The NFL is insanely competitive, you can do everything right and still fail. You're screwed if you consistently do suboptimal things.

How different would this draft look for us if we had Nick Bosa, Van Jefferson and Tristan Wirfs? It would change everything. Each one of those guys plays a position we're reportedly targeting in the first round.

#556 REVISion, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's really the long and short of it. The guy lives in Miami and gets to play at home. It was already reported KC preferred Jets offer. But Hill has the choice because he had to agree to extension. It was a bidding war, with Miami having an upper hand all along. Without state income tax and home court advantage, Miami was in driver's seat. At 30 mil per year, I think JD went all out, but Hill made his choice...

It's all in the draft now I feel. Huge gamble that may very well decide the fate of JD and possibly Zach Wilson too. I feel given the stakes, 10th and 35th pick will be WR. Even a possible trade up into the first from 35 depending on who falls. We are still in it, but have to get the draft right.

Jets79, Poeman and JetsKickAss like this.
  18. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Great post.

And right on cue...we had a few meaningless wins last year (1 with a backup QB) and instead of drafting 3rd or even 2nd, we are 4th with 3 great players likely to go 1-2-3.

James Hasty likes this.
  19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

And for whatever reason, all these Draft Gurus have Mock Drafts with us taking a CB or Safety with one of the two #1s.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

CB is a need though, we kept getting torched last year. Couldn't stop anyone. Haven't had a decent edge guy since John Abraham and our corner situation has been rough since Cro/Revis days

James Hasty likes this.