Tyreek Hill traded to Dolphins for five draft choices

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Sack exchange, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people in this thread that either do not read and just post according to their bias or ignore what they read and just post according to their bias. I wish there was an adult forum on this board that only allowed objective posting that uses citations, stats and sources and would ban those who just post to troll or support their biased opinion. These angry and juvenile posts saturate this board drowning out most of the thoughtful and intelligent posts. There is a ton of knowledge on this board but sadly most of these great posters will never have their posts seen because of all the emotional juvenile drama that drowns everything else out. The net effect is this forum is normally very hard to read and the really good posters are driven away by the angry bad ones.

LAJet, mrodriguez4096 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

So I’m just getting home from work and seeing this trade news

some thoughts:

- this offseason has been CRAZY…so many moves of top players at star positions…QBs, DEs, and WRs… high profile top guys

- the AFC is SO loaded…just feels like playoffs are not even in the realm of possibility for a few years still

- sucks that every other team in the AFC East has had long dominant runs except us…we went from Miami in the 1980s to Buffalo in the 1990s to NE in the 2000s-2010s and now back to Buffalo…when will it be us? Hint…feels like never

- trying to get my head around the fact that YET AGAIN…with tons of picks and lots of cap room, we STILL don’t have even one great edge or WR to depend on, let alone two of each like the great teams have…I can’t point to one specific deal that I’d look at, but somehow teams with less cap space and fewer draft assets still managed to land players like Russell Wilson or Khalil Mack or Allen Robinson or DeVonte Adams or Tyreek Hill or Amari Cooper or the list goes on and on

again, not saying any one in particular, but it sure feels fucked that we didn’t get ANYBODY like that…yes we got some really nice pieces like the guard and the two TEs and the S … I liked all of those…but it just seems like there’s always a reason for us NOT to get the pass rusher or the receiver…

I do like JDs plan…I like the offseason so far, I get that we’ll likely go DE and WR in the draft, and the build through the draft philosophy in general, but man a lot of good teams got WAY better…it doesn’t feel like we are closing the gap at all.

we will see how it all goes…lord knows we’ve had plenty of offseason where we spent big and it all came apart, but to me the difference is this year these are great players moving…Russell Wilson just made Denver better…Adams and Jones made the Raiders better. Hill is going to make Miami and Waddle better. Miller will make Buffalo better. Robinson will help the Rams. Ryan will help the Browns. Crazy. These aren’t Trumaine Johnson or Leveon Bell after a year off…these are proven great players.

we better hope Wilson lights it up or we are looking at the basement yet again

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Another awesome player that gets to torch the Jets twice a year.

Cman68, stinkyB and James Hasty like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True. I've had a couple of the most knowledgeable posters on this board tell me that they never post any more because of all the ignorant and stupid shit that is posted here. That's sad. This was a great place to post and discuss Jets football and learn, but not any more. There are 10-15 posters who are ruinining it.

LAJet, mrodriguez4096 and Noam like this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Suddenly the ones who only accept opinions about JD and Zach skipping through a tunnel of rainbows are the objective guys?

6. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Thanks Noam.
    I really can't blame Hill as much as I'd love to have him. Contract offers being equal, I'd imagine a vast majority of teams would choose Miami over the Jets for a variety of reasons

Cman68 and Noam like this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

This.

Wins and losses are the proof of progress.

Everything else is just denial.

Ralebird, REVISion, Cman68 and 6 others like this.
  8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Dolphins made a trade like they are one player away.

I get the value chart says jets offer was similar, but I don't find it to be true. Dolphins gave up an insane amount

9. NCJetsfan

I understand where you're coming from, but the thing you have to keep in mind is that the Bills, Rams, Raiders and others were already playoff teams or near playoff teams, and the players they brought in are mostly older and very expensive. We're not ready for that yet. It would have been premature for us. In 2-3 years we should be really good, and those other teams will not only be in cap hell, but the players they signed to big contracts this year will be in serious decline or will have started retiring. Keep the faith!

We're going to have to start winning before we can get big name players to sign here. I think that's a blessing. Some GMs would jump the gun and try to take a short cut, which would only serve to maybe give us excitement for a year or two, but then short-circuit the rebuild. In this way, we have to keep doing things the right way, building stability and our core, then we can add a big-name player or three to help put us over the top.

Borat and westiedog1 like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Which is why I didn't bother reading through the 24 pages of posts that were generated by the time I got on here today, so I missed the tweet you posted. My bad.:oops:

Noam likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right, but not everything you believe can be proven for a fact. That's the life of a fan.

Borat, James Hasty and Noam like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yup…I get that line of thinking, and it makes sense. And I’m on board with JDs approach this year.

But yet it’s also EXACTLY what I’m struggling with…that talk track of why it makes sense to NOT spend big, or NOT draft the edge because there’s more value somewhere else or whatever it is. In a vacuum it all makes sense. Yet the end result is that we’ve not had a great pass rusher since John Abraham or a great WR since when, Laverneous Coles (outside of 2015 with Decker and Marshall)? Looking at individual moves, seems like there’s always been a reason why it made sense to not do it.

for whatever reason, the impact player never seemed to line up with our draft slot or our free agency dollars…and the end result is we’ve sucked for a decade now.

so I’m hoping we come out of the first two rounds this draft with at least one top edge and WR. I think with GB and KC looking for receiver help and armed with multiple picks, we’re going to need to draft that WR early, and I don’t want to come out of this draft with a second tier receiver because hey…he wasn’t worth the tenth pick kind of shit. Because they will be going fast. I say take your favorite edge at 4 and favorite receiver at 10. I expect plenty of trades this year in round 1.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

EHHH..... very good/explosive player but in the big scheme of things (trade compensation, salary, cap hit, etc) this one may have worked out for the best.... just sucks that he's in the division, which I'm sure was a motivator for JD.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That’s why I was surprised that JD was willing to give up so much, I bought in to the build it through the draft philosophy that JD put out there, his trades were all about acquiring more draft picks to draft more playmakers.

Now he does a 180 and is willing to give up prime picks, so I’m left wondering where are we as fans, do we buy into it or should we not buy into it?

Jets need more than one playmaker, Hill is dynamic but where are the defensive playmakers?

I was under the impression that those picks were going to be used to load up on 4 players that were going to be day one starters on cheap contracts.

Seneca likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

There's no question that we've had a lot of bad "luck" over the years. I'm a firm believer, however, in the definition of luck that states: luck is when preparation meets opportunity. We all know what a bunch of boobs we've had for GM, HC and owner. Rarely have we ever been prepared and made good decisions that put us into the right place and time to have an opportunity. In 2014 we had the opportunity to draft not only one great WR but two or more, and what did we do?? We drafted low-round crap. We had an opportunity to draft Mahomes and we passed. Even when GMs and CSs are prepared, that doesn't mean that every decision and draft pick will work out, but over the last two years we have added amazing talent in Becton, AVT, Wilson, Moore, and a few others. I have seen that "luck" changing over the last two-three years. Moore fell to us in the 2nd round. JD traded up to make AVT happen. Last year we had a glaring need at QB, WR, and OG, and were able to add Wilson, Moore and AVT. This year we had glaring needs at Edge, RG, TE, WR, and S, and lesser needs at CB, LB, and DT. Aside from WR and Edge, there were excellent FA classes of OGs, TEs and Safeties, and we added very good players to those position groups. We added a very good CB, and a quality depth Edge. We weren't able to add a DT or WR, but one can't have it all. We were very "fortunate" or "lucky" that our need aligned with FA. It also is aligned with the draft. While there are no certain "stud" WRs or TEs, there are deep classes of both in this draft. Since we signed two TEs in FA, the need is less, but we still could use another quality TE. We can get two very good WR prospects out of this draft. There is a strong class of safeties in this draft, and we will probably draft one. We need an NT and there are 5-6 good prospects in the draft at that position. If we wind up needing another OT, there are some topnotch prospects there, too. We need another RB or two and it's a very good class of RBs who fit our scheme. We got to coach the SR Bowl out of "luck." There's an excellent class of Edges in this draft that aligns perfectly with our need. There are 6-7 excellent LB prospects who excel in coverage that aligns with our need at LB.

There's not much I can say with certainty about the upcoming draft, but I do believe this with all of my being: JD is going to draft an Edge and he's going to draft 2 WRs in this draft. It's disappointing that FA for WRs was so bad this year, but it is what it is. I think we actually may need to take Wilson at #4, because Atlanta at #8 could take a WR. They really don't have any. "Luckily" they need a QB too, so they may have to take a QB instead of a WR. I'm hoping that Watson or Pickens will be there at #35. If we can add Wilson and either Watson or Pickens, I'd be thrilled. I'm usually deadset against trading up since we still have holes at starting positions and depth, but JD may have to be just as aggressive in the draft as he was in trying to add Hill. I'd rather he trade down from #10, but he may have to trade up from #35 or #38 to around #27 to get ahead of GB and KC to get our 2nd WR, as they are guaranteed to take WRs. At this point, he shouldn't even be considering using both 1st round picks on D. One of those picks HAS to be a WR.

Mogriffjr, Borat and blackssmagic like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

17. NCJetsfan

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Dear Joe,

It's the bald little man in the biggest office in the building. This is one of the unsexiest teams in the league.

Cman68 and James Hasty like this.
  19. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

For those complaining about Joe Douglas on this one, I get it....I really do. I'm just as sick and tired of missing out on big names as all of you. I've been criticized on this board about being too hard on the team as well.

With all of that said--this is not on Joe Douglas and for the first time in a while we have a very good GM at the helm

We had a GM that set us up perfectly for this offseason.

1. Made awesome trades that stockpiled draft capital--I would argue we have won every trade under JD
    2. Incredibly smart, safe FA pickups that were perfectly positioned to give us capital to be open for a guy like Hill today
    3. Nearly got Hill without giving up a first round pick--make no mistake, the Chiefs accepted the terms of the deal

We cannot blame JD, management or ownership that Hill made a choice to go to Miami. Put yourself in his shoes, he has a house in s. florida and you have no income tax in FL. I personally live in FL and left Long Island years ago--I couldn't imagine paying state income again.

Also, we are just not a destination right now that's going to attract those big names. We haven't done enough to show we are one or two players away. We also have a young QB, where the jury is still out if he can play at an NFL level.

We are going to need to do this the hard way right now--but it can be done because we have done it before.

Before Santonio Holmes, Bart Scott, Damien Woody, Faneca, Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards, Cro--there needed to be Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Sanchez, Keller, Cotchery, Moore, Ellis, Harris

You build your house from the foundation first, when that is in the other extremities will feel led to come and interlock arms.

As hard as this stretch has been, I will keep faith that this will turn around. Especially if Douglas and co can hit this draft between the eyes. I know I have been hard on Zach and I'm still not sold, but I hope I'm wrong and he becomes who we hope he can become this year.

Keep the faith.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

From "can't land the fat chick at last call"..... to "one of the unsexiest" maybe an improvement... baby steps I guess