Tyreek Hill traded to Dolphins for five draft choices

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Sack exchange, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I agree with you more than you think. I fear that if Wilson isn't the guy, then the Jets fire Douglas at some point and go back into the spin cycle. And I am not high on Zach at all, but am holding out hope (because if he's legit then they're already several rungs up the ladder out of ineptitude). Even without that, I like and/or appreciate the vast majority of what JD has done, and if young players continue to grow, vets fit in, and major injuries don't hit the most important pieces, there's a foundation being established that isn't blatant or star-studded but is significantly better than the true bottom-feeder team the Jets have rolled out repeatedly in recent years.

Things in the AFC are almost assuredly not going to look like you lay it out, even though I fully agree that's how it appears now. I just think that the Jets are in one of those situations where a few things break right, guys develop, coaching gains traction, and suddenly they're a surprise that emerges outside of whatever the conventional wisdom was heading into the season.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who is rooting for tanks? That's a straw man argument. I've seen no one rooting for tanks.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I recall the Jets beating Jax last year when the Jets only had 6 starters dress for the game because of Covid and injuries. I have never seen a team even close to being as shorthanded as the Jets were against Jax. The Jets were starting players who did not have an NFL job a few weeks before.

I am not saying the Jets are a SB contender or even remotely in the class of the Bills but when healthy the Jets starting roster is solid. If you look at their roster the Jets only start 3 to 5 players that are below average NFL starters which is a huge upgrade from last year where that number was 10 to 12 per game. Getting back half the team from IR has helped but also filling in some really weak areas with solid players has helped as well.

The Jets biggest problem is not their roster but their division. Having to play the Bills, Pats and Phins 6 games is not good for anyones record as saw last year where the Jets were 0 and 6 against the division but a competitive 4 and 7 vs. the rest of the league.

Sack exchange likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

That's based on our history, not so much on the current situation. You're trying to blame JD and Saleh for the mistakes of Idzik, Rex, Mac, Bowles and Gase, and that's bogus. Uzomah and Conklin WANTED to be here and be a part of what we're building. They can see that things are changing and improving here. Too bad that you and other posters can't see that. Once we start winning, more players will be happy to sign here. Winning changes everything. I believe that we'll become a desired location.

5. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I dont think you should fear JD getting fired. If you've read my posts on here, I am very critical of him. He's avoided the major disasters that have given the Jets a bad name, and for that, Jets fans feel there is improvement. But, really, that shouldn't be the bar we are using to measure success. The question should be how much better has he made the team, and although he's avoided the disasters, he hasn't done much to greatly improve the jets either, imo. Now, 4 picks in the top 40 (or whatever) should theoretically do wonders if used correctly, but I still think he could have and should have done more the last few years then he did. We are sitting here 2 and a half years later still with no pass rushers, corners, or WR (we hope Moore is a guy, but who knows). I dont think its the end of the world if he's gone, and in fact, another guy might be able to make some moves to actually speed up this process for new york. Its like JD has no sense of urgency for anything.

#465 Bills over Jets, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    REVISion and BacktoQueens like this.
  6. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Watson may miss most of this season for all we know.

7. NCJetsfan

God doesn't give a puck about hockey! LOL

8. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I dont think their roster is solid at all at the moment. The jets have some guys to build around at the non-premium positions, but are sorely lacking players at the positions that matter (Pass rusher, CB, tackle, WR). I will feel differently perhaps after the draft as the Jets will have the opportunity to really add there. If the jets got one of the pass rushers and one of those 2 corners, they would really be looking good I think.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree with the notion that JD's job is in jeopardy or that he knows that he made a mistake in hiring Saleh, Red. IMO that is a totally bogus train of thought you have going there. I'm not a gambling man, but I'd be willing to bet a fortune that JD's job is not in danger at all. Ultimately, it may have been a mistake to hire Saleh, but we won't know that for another year or two at a minimum.

BleedingGreen55 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

It wasn't about the extension. He didn't want to play here at all. Just like Adams wanted to play for the Raiders and with Carr, Hill wanted to play for Miami where both he and his agent live.

Borat likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm way late to this thread, but I'll say at this point, I'm glad that:

1. Douglas tried his best to get an game breaking talent.
    2. That he didn't get him, especially at that price - both picks given up and contract.

Let's stick with trying to find our own "Tyreek Hill", etc. instead of trying to buy last year's model with high mileage on it.

apjbfc, NCJetsfan, ouchy and 3 others like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

No they won't. To begin with they aren't going to win only 4 games this season unless something catastrophic happens. If it's something catastrophic, it's completely out of JD's hands. Your impatience and fan think are the issue here. I guarantee you that JD's seat isn't even lukewarm and his job is not in any jeopardy whatsoever, nor should it be.

BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hahahah dude that is the dumbest thing ive ever heard. So 5 is always better than two? wtf

apjbfc and KingRoach like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Your reasoning on this, my friend, is a fail. We aren't seeing this through green-colored glasses. You are the one with the vision problem looking at this through red (angry) or black (pessimistic) lenses. You're much better than this. Years of frustration and impatience, and a bit of hubris are blinding you.

15. NCJetsfan

I couldn't possibly agree more!

16. NCJetsfan

No he wouldn't have. Are you really that dense? He wanted to play where he lives and trains. Adams took less to sign with the Raiders because he wanted to play for the Raiders. Not everyone is all consumed with $s like some of you guys are.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The Jets have 4 really good pass rushers and 2 really good cbs. Lawson was really good at Cincinnati, Huff had an extremely high win rate last year, JFM had a very high pass rush win rate and was great against the run and Martin had a ton of pressures in a limited role. Add in a DE on draft day and JFM can switch to a hybrid role DE on 1st and DT on passing plays.

At CB reed ranked in the top 10 among cbs last year, Hall ranked in the 15 to 20 range on most metrics and is ascending. Echols was mostly below average but is athletic with upside. Carter as the nickel back did very well the first half of the year but hit the rookie wall and struggled the last half. Moore is an ascending WR who posted top 10 numbers over a 6 game stretch when healthy. His metrics were extremely high in terms of production and yards per seperation. He could be a high end one if he stays healthy. Davis is what he is a solid number 2. After that I agree they do lack depth.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Watch what someone does, not what they say.

Building through the draft, accumulating draft capital, and not spending a lot on older players have been the core values JD has espoused since the day he got here. Those are good values when rebuilding a team.

The Tyreek near-trade went against every single one of those values. It tells us everything we need to know about JD's thoughts on his job security if the team isn't a lot better this year.

ouchy likes this.
  19. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

One thing that baffles me, is that if JD was willing to throw down the 35th, 38th, and 69th overall picks for Tyreek Hill and offer him 25M a year for 3 years; why didn't he pursue Amari Cooper more aggressively? I understand head to head, Hill is an overall better player, but when you factor in the difference between getting one for 2 2nd's and 3rd; versus getting the other for a 5th and swapping 6th's, Cooper becomes the way more appealing deal Imo.

Would have been a clear cut upgrade at the receiver position either way, but one leaves us with more premium draft picks at a spot where it is more likely you will find great players to help balance the roster. I just find it interesting, maybe it was the timing of it all? Hill became available after the bulk of FA was over, where Cooper was before FA really kicked off, maybe JD expected to sign another player but couldn't get a deal done?

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

100% agreed. I also think JD tried and that is awesome. This was a home run move and that offer we put out was one I was ok with. However we are a mess in multitude of areas. We need to get stars here and hopefully the draft can help us get chess pieces.

Hill is from Georgia and won a ring. He wanted to get paid and enjoy South beach

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.