In defense of Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bleedgreen, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I like the off-season so far a lot…but I’m disappointed we haven’t addressed more at WR and edge…I like resigning Berrios, but as both Moore and Davis missed plenty of time last season, I would err on the side of caution and assume that they won’t all stay healthy all year. We are thin here. I get that we will almost certainly address early in the draft but still, I’d like to see a vet WR signed. I also like the Martin signing but he’s rotational…I also assume we will focus on edge in the draft, but with all the edge players moving around this season, it hurts that we didn’t get in on any of the action…I hope Lawson comes back 100% but I wouldn’t bet on it.

so we better nail edge and WR in the draft

Red Menace likes this.
  2. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

This is the first time since the late 70’s and early 80’s the Jets have taken the time to build a team. Fan pressure and short term thinking have always stood in the way. Add to that talk radio and we have a trifecta. JD has hired his coach, selected his QB and used free agency and the draft to acquire players. That is an ongoing process. The results in wins and losses will let us know where we go from here. We fans are lucky to have competent people at the top after many missteps in the past.

Royal Tee, Brook!, JETS1116 and 5 others like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Right now WR room is pretty bad. Basically, it's last year minus Crowder and possibly Cole. And last year we were in a terrible spot at the position, where I was shocked Zach didn't throw a lot more INTs at the end of the year. I think JD will be drafting WR at #10 AND also spending a second round pick or third at worst on another one. #4 most likely will be edge. What it looks like to me, given how free agency played out with WRs getting crazy contracts, JD figured best value is in the draft, and he will double up to increase chances of success. Ideal scenario we walk away with KT, Wilson, and C Watson with first 3 picks.

The only concern I have is that rookies have time to develop, according Saleh himself. That's why I want to see at least one of these to be a more pro ready guy, like Wilson or Olave. I also think we need another solid vet in addition to 2 WR rookies, and Cole might just be it at this point.

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Was Carroll that bad? I was young but I remember being pissed they fired him for Kotite. I see they were 6-10, but started 6-5. All downhill after the fake spike.

Royal Tee likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, he was that bad. He didn't work the player hard or in a smart way. He was too lax. He wanted to be their friend. He had a basketball goal erected at the end of the parking lot and evidently spent a lot of time shooting hoops with some of his players. He had been a good DC, but I don't think the defense was good while he was HC. He was very immature, and not ready to be a HC.

#25 NCJetsfan, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and mrjet80 like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The Jets hired a young guy without head coaching experience but a brilliant football mind. The time had come to get away from the tough guy approach to coaching and to develop a more complementary relationship based on mutual respect with the staff and players. He was "coaching to where football was going," and was everything that Adam Gase never would be. Carroll was great for that but needed more than one year to settle into a comfort zone. It was a time of overdue optimism for Jets fans. He may have been too soft in the beginning but came to understand that change would be needed going forward; it's too bad he wasn't given that opportunity.

Replacing him after one season was a big mistake even before considering he was cast aside due to some idea on the owner's part that Rich Kotite was the Jets' savior. The basketball court was originally planned, from what I remember, for use by Carroll and his staff as a tool to help them relax and at the same time develop communications and form a tighter bond; this is no different than people from other fields playing golf together without taking time away from the task at hand. Some players did migrate to the court at the end of the day but that always seemed to be a contrived problem rather than one based on any cause and effect relationship; some people just couldn't get away from the coach-as-tyrant mindset..

ColoradoContrails, papapump and dmw like this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Now the stuff about the S-curve - that's interesting and original. People will agree or disagree but it's an interesting way of looking at the situation. I'm not the thread police and make a thread if you want to, but I thought your post could have slotted easily into one of the other JD threads out there. I see there has been another JD thread started today saying much of the same stuff as is already in other JD threads... it makes the board messy.

But that S-curve stuff - that would have made an interesting and original thread!

Ralebird likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Show me the wins...

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

JD is trying to build this team through the draft from the ground up. The first year I can give him a pass because of the Gase influence. After that I feel he’s been shroud in free agency, got max value in trades and has been good in the draft. This draft he needs at least 4 starters if not 5. So he has his work cut out for him.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Except he just offered three premium picks for Hill, (35),(38),(69) which shows he’s made an adjustment to his philosophy of building through the draft.

Would you be ok with Hamilton (S) at 4, Johnson (DE) at 10 and Tyreek Hill (trade) as the top 3 playmakers brought in by JD?

I don’t think this board would be ok with that once the dust settled.

REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. Rockinz

Honestly, no I wouldn’t. We aren’t ready to win now so why give up the farm? We need to be competitive in games and gradually start to stack wins through a core of home grown players. Our stars need to be drafted not paid for in full by trade/FA. That’s the only way we are going to have long term success. JD needs to hit on his picks period. We can’t have another 2020 draft under his watch or I’m afraid he failed us.

I’d love Hamilton and JJ at 4/10 and try to jump back in the first round for Burks/Wilson/Williams

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Maybe JD goes into this knowing the odds of landing Hill are slim but he doesn't want Miami stealing him in a salary dump trade. His offer forces the Dolphins make the offer they did. I mean if we are mind reading, I'll go with this theory.

Brook!, mrjet80 and Rockinz like this.
  13. Rockinz

I’m also starting to feel JD knew he couldn’t land him and Miami was the front runner. So, he drove the price up on them to empty their cupboards in draft capital. He didn’t want them getting Hill for just a late first and a second.

mrjet80 and bicketybam like this.
  14. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I assume (could be wrong) this is a three part negotiation, with jets talking to both KC and hill's agent. So really any scenario is possible, a real play for hill if the cost was reasonable, a ploy to drive cost up, a testing of the market for a great receiver in case another one comes into play, etc. Who knows? But I would have been happy if hill came here without losing any round 1 picks. 2 second round picks for a great receiver? Certainly! At that point its only a salary budget issue, which is supposed to be real but somehow teams avoid it.
    History is a great scorekeeper. Lets see both miami and jets positions 2 years from now.

Rockinz likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Just to confirm the offer, it was not 3 picks for Hill: it was 35, 38, and 3d rounder in exchange for 4th. That btw was confirmed by KC as preferred offer, but Hill had to agree, because Jets didn't want to take him on a 1 year deal. Make no mistake, this would have been a huge homerun for the Jets. Building through the draft doesn't mean you can't supplement via top FAs. Hill in his prime, top 5 receiver, and would have been only 31 after 4 years of this contract, which will likely be restructured again to keep CAP down after a year or two. Additionally, this drastically helps development of a young QB, whose skillset is a perfect compliment to Hills. Heck, we could have had Mahomes->Hill here in NJ with Wilson instead at QB. Finally, JD even last year paid to Lawson. Granted not as much, but a lot, and Hill was more durable and a much bigger star.

So, I don't think it's the adjustment to his philosophy, with philosophy of building through draft and complimenting via FA. Hill would have been an amazing compliment to Zach and JD went for it. Also, the trade would have still left #4 and #10 for other positions. And there would have been more flexibility to trade back. Whereas now you basically have to keep #10 to pick best WR, use another one in second round, to have a somewhat decent chance at a good WR, which leaves #4 and #38 for other positions instead of #4 and #10.

The point is, even from draft perspective we would have had more assets for other positions AND be much better at WR had the trade consumated, and it fits JD's philosophy well. The trade would have been amazing, and JD had it all set in a perfect way, it's just too bad Hill didn't cooperate.

#35 Borat, Mar 24, 2022
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It would have been a great move by JD. Too bad Hill didn't want it. As a side question, why did KC trade Hill?

Cman68 and Borat like this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

They weren't willing to pay him 30 mil a year, since they have many other large contracts, like half a billion for Mahomes. I guess CAP does matter at SOME point, which is well beyond actual CAP #, but still. Or the owner simply didn't want to spend that much regardless of CAP.

dmw likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m not sure there needs to be “defense” or Joe Douglas. Most of the board and fan base are falling all over him right now lol.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm just glad JD decided to roll like a Big Market GM for once. Not bargain hunting for another average joe but trying to hit a homerun. I think he realizes the pace for this rebuild needs to accelerate or we will never catch up with the rest of the AFC.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We are dammed if we do and damned if we don’t, if we want a guy fired we get blasted for being impatient and fickle fans and if we give a GM the benefit of the doubt we get blasted as fans because the pitchforks are not out yet, what exactly should we do as fans then?

#40 Red Menace, Mar 24, 2022