Jets will go WR with the 4th pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Martin&theJETS, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

The Jets have not addressed WR in FA. They are 1 injury away from fielding Barrios as #2. I think they love London and the tie to AVT is strong.

It’s possible that London and/or Garrett are gone by #10. I see them wanting to secure their #1 WR at #4 instead of rolling the dice at #10. If their top WRs are gone at #10 they are back to forcing their hand at the top of round 2 with the best receivers remaining. That is how Douglas ended up with Mims.

It’s no secret the Jets also need a pass rusher. However, with KT being a big question mark and not fitting the MO of the team, there are 3 DE targets in the top 10. Walker, JJ, and Karlartis. It is highly likely that 1 of 3 last till #10. Much more likely than their top receiver target lasting till then, whether it be London or GW.

I think all signs point to the Jets taking the top WR at #4 and not chancing it. They then go BPA pass rusher at #10.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that happens. no WR is really even with 10 in this class let alone 4. I think the pick at 4 is KT, hamilton, or another edge JD really likes

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's pretty bold though if they love one of the top WRs I think it's possible, but I haven't heard strong evidence they do.

I could see them taking Kyle Hamilton at 4. Can't decide if they'd take KT.

Something makes me feel they'll take an OL (either Ickey at 4 or Linderbaum at 10), but maybe that's just because JD went OL in the 1st in his first two drafts

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

I think Hamilton is a good pick but there are too many parallels to Jamal and essentially using a replacement pick on him. Risking it for a WR is more justifiable. We have to go playmaker for Zach at #4 or #10. I think it’s unquestionable that DE and WR will be the picks. Just depends on the order.

5. GasedAndConfused

based on JDs MO I expect

4) hamilton (blue chip unicorn BPA)
    10) johnson (EDGE that fits JDs wants and we seem high on him)
    35) WR who slips. at this point and it depends who falls, could be dotson, watson, peirce, pickens, or burks
    38) Travis jones (DT to replace foley and again fits JDs MO)

thats my prediciton, I also wouldn't be surprised if we traded up from 35 to get a WR late he likes who falls. giving up 35 and our 3rd could get us up to around 20. giving up 35 and our 4th could get us to 30.
    that would give us 3 1sts plus a high 2nd still and still have a 3rd or 4th depending how high we go and 2 5ths. which is still 8 players

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think you make some pretty good points here. I had never considered the AVT/London connection until now and your point about EDGE depth is valid. It's also a valid point that the sting of Mims is fresh in JD's mind given how bad he was last season.

At EDGE there's a drop off after KT/Walker/Johnson and at WR there's a drop off after Wilson/London, so it does make some sense to target the WR first.

For what it's worth, Kiper had the Jets taking London at #4 in his latest mock.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  7. Martin&theJETS

DJ just mocked Gardner at #4 and London at #10 in his 3.0 draft. Gardner is a can’t miss prospect. I think the idea at #4 is take a position of value and a prospect that you love that won’t last till #10. I just don’t see Hamilton at safety being a position of value.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, that's not how JD wound up with Mims. With his first pick, he took Becton. That was a bigger need than even WR. All the top WR prospects were gone by the 2nd round except for Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr., Chase Claypool and Mims. Higgins went on the 1st pick of the 2nd round to Cincy. Pittman went on the next pick to Indy. If JD had stayed put at #48, at best, he could have had Claypool. He traded down, and that's how he wound up with Mims.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Martin&theJETS

I mean he waited until round 2 to take receiver and ended up with 13th picked WR. Point is, WRs can fly off the board.

10. GasedAndConfused

actually he didn't he traded back. we had pick 48. seattle moved up from 59 to 48 to draft DE darell taylor at 48 and we got 59 and 101. the WRs taken next were claypool 49, van jefferson 57, then mims at 59. we traded back at 101 and wound up taking James morgan.

Realistically yes claypool and jefferson are both better then mims but neither is a world beater. jefferson is a solid WR3 at best so far and claypool as been around the same maybe slighty better but he's also been not a JD type of player and tomlin has had to put him in his place a few times and IIRC he kinda quit on the team in one game. I doubt he was on our radar.
    realistically speaking that whole 2020 WR class was weak. lamb is a nice WR2 nothing special, jeudy has disappointed, ruggs well he's likely done in the NFL, reagor is a bust. ayiuk isn't that good. jefferson was the only stud. in rounds 2 there were some ok players like tee higgins, but again not much.

then in 2021 we stood at 34 and got elijah moore who was the 6th WR taken. I agree WRs go fast but it's a deep enough class I don't mind having the 5th-7th guy

[​IMG]

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Mel Kiper draft board was all over the place, KT dropping to 7th or 8th I believe.

REVISion likes this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm starting to wonder if I've been looking at this WR class a bit wrong and underrating how much better the top couple guys are than the rest. There is depth, absolutely, and there isn't high end talent like a Chase type, but I do think there is still a significant drop off between the top 2-3 guys and the rest.

To me it's Wilson, London, and then everyone else. Burks is right there but I don't quite put him in that first tier. Neither Wilson nor London is a Chase type but I'm not sure that means there isn't a significant drop off between them and the guys who will go in the 2nd round for example.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

the chart i made is a consensus from many sites. if you go by that

T1
    wilson is in a class of his own and the top guy

T2 would be
    london burks williams olave

T3 would be
    doctson, pickens, tolbert, bell metchie

then you have about 8 more in T4

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’d puke if he took London over KT/Hamilton. London is so slow on film, has easy drops and gets shaken up on plays consistently. I am willing to bet that doesn’t fit JDs blueprint. Also he’s not a good scheme fit. I just don’t see this ever happening.

15. Richard Lyman

Richard Lyman New Member

I just don't see the WR group being that strong. More depth than having absolute studs. I'm starting to lean toward a 2nd round pick at WR. I really hope they do their homework on George Pickens.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Kayvon Thibodeaux EDGE
    Ikem Ekwonu OL
    Ahmad Gardner CB

Will be hard to pass up any of these guys at #4 for any of the WR’s in this draft.

WR is a need, but I think the strategy would be to see who/if any you love slip to #10.

I personally wouldn’t mind the Jets passing on WR altogether in round 1 and instead double up by taking Dotson rd. 2 to fill Crowder’s role and then Alec Pierce who can play the outside/stretch the field and arguably tested better than anyone in this class.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Typical JD… now I think we might actually go WR at 4.

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

More and more I picture us with one of Hamilton or Sauce at either 4 or 10

19. Martin&theJETS

20. Martin&theJETS

I just cannot justify a safety so high. They are hardly ever gamebreakers and they do not win championships. Shutdown CB is much more probable. I would be okay with Sauce.