Travon Walker

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jojo, Mar 15, 2022.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

This is definitely where scouts earn their chops.

Are we looking at Vernon gholston or Jevon Kearse

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I honestly think this guy worked in the scouting department like an errand boy, but he picked up some professional nuggets on what teams are looking for in players.

If he were really good he wouldn’t still be an ex-scout. He would be working for an NFL team.

Leicester Jet, Jojo and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Although you also wonder how much of it is nurture vs nature. Do some prospects fail because they wind up in a toxic culture or with inept coaches?

Jojo and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

walker isn't a guy I want personally. for me the top 3 are hutch, KT, and johnson. I want one of them. I also think we could get johnson at 10 which means 4 could be hamilton or for some here sauce,neal,ekwonu

6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

totally respect your opinion but curious what you think about size? are some of these guys too light, and will they slow down if they add weight.

Walker is moving at NFL size

again, i'm just spitballing and would appreciate your sense on this

is it more reasonable to think Jets can coach him up and teach technique, or to think KT and JJ will hold up at current size, or hold speed if they add size

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

walker does have elite size,movement. so did many others. technique and drive make up for a lot. here is a list of guys who were considered undersized rushers. johnson is about the same size as a von miller, tj watt. we've had guys like walker in coples and bryan thomas. Iof course then you have JPP who is like walker as a prospect and got overdrafted by the giants but actually worked out. so it really is just a crapshoot but i like everything about johnson and walker to me feels more like a workout warrior then a football player but of course I could be wrong

Borat likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What I find useful is to take a look at original 1.0 mock drafts before the measurements, combine, etc. Basically evaluation based on College tape. According to Kiper he was 24th after College season. Granted you see a lot of movement during this process, particularly amongst lower profile players who come out of the woodwork. Walker, however, was not a low profile player. His stock can move, but to go from #24 to #4 without actually producing but just based on workouts after a relatively average College year is quite remarkable. He is a one year starter, great athleticism, and has a high ceiling. The floor though is low also. I just don't see a guy like that going #4. If he does, Saleh must really see something truly remarkable there, but I would be worried if he is the pick.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Excellent analysis and reasoning! I concur!

10. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Daniel Jeremiah had him at #13 in his first mock and #15 overall prospect. Then he went and had a historic combine.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He could be, but I don't think that he should be. In fact, I think that would be a big mistake. He rose to the occasion in big games, but didn't have very good stats, only totally 9.5 sacks in three years at UGA. Part of that was due ot the rotation, but part of that was also that he is a bit raw as a pass rusher, and is more of a run stuffer.

Check out what Lance Zierlein of NFL.com has to say about him.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/travon-walker/32005741-4c33-5860-fba3-6bbb26e956a0

Noam likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I respect Jeremiah's opinion, but I think he is off on Walker.

13. NCJetsfan

Walker only weighs 272. There's no way he should play DT in the NFL.

14. NCJetsfan

I'm no fan of Daniel Kelly, and I don't see Walker as a 2nd rounder, but I hope that the Jets don't take him. Kelly shows his wackiness putting Cam Thomas #3 and Nik Bonitto #4. Thomas is definitely more of a run stuffer than pass rusher imo, and Bonitto is a 3-4 OLB. Maybe he's great at that and is the best pass rusher, but we don't run a 3-4 any more, so hopefully, the Jets have zero interest in Bonitto. In other drafts where there weren't a lot of excellent Edge prospects, then maybe taking Bonitto and converting him to a 4-3 D and teaching him to play with his hands in the dirt might be the right way to go. It's not in this draft imo. Where I do agree with Kelly (in addition to not seeing Walker as worthy of a top 10 pick) is that he likes Myjai Sanders and Arnold Ebiketie a lot. Both had excellent ratings the last two seasons as pass rusher and were among the top in the rankings in terms of ratings. That said, I don't put much stock in PFF's ratings, but I've watched game film of both, and I like both a lot. The fact that we hired Cincinnati's DL coach as our Asst. DL coach could lead us to take Sanders. The Jets also coached Boye Mafe and he was explosive at the Sr. Bowl, so they may have rated a lot higher than other teams.

Initially, I didn't like Karlaftis at all, but after watching a YouTube video about his life and reading/learning more about him, I would have zero problems with the Jets taking either him at #10, or Jermaine Johnson at #4 or #10 if KT isn't there.

I don't think there's any way we will get Hutch, but I'd be very happy with any one of KT, J. Johnson, Karlaftis, Ebiketie, B. Mafe., or M. Sanders. I really liked Ojabo, and am very disappointed for him and for us. I'd have been very happy taking him at #10. I'd be disappointed, but would have some hope with Enagbare, but if we take anyone else at Edge, I'll hope for the best, but I don't have much confidence in Cam Thomas, Walker, S. Williams or anyone else.

15. NCJetsfan

He prepared a draft guide analysis that got him hired, but most of his work as a Jets scout was involved with Pro scouting. I think he only did college scouting one year and then was fired. He seems a little wacky to me. I think it's possible that he spent part of his time as a "scout" making photocopies and fetching coffee and doughnuts for the other scouts.

16. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

I feel Walker fits what they do here, via his ability to play roles on the line. That ability would open up vulnerabilities vs the offense, giving more opportunities for other d players to make plays...

17. Red Menace

I put up a video of Walker vs an NFL ready LT Evan Neal, he was completely dominated by Neal. If you are picking a guy at the 4th overall spot he better be the best guy at his spot and Walker doesn’t even come close.

Walkers is good against the run but that’s not what Jets need from a guy selected at his spot, they need a legit pass rusher, if they can’t get KT at 4, then grab Ikem Ekwonu at 4, a WR at 10, if the board still shows the potential to trade up and gran a DE late first round then use one of the second round picks to move up and grab him..

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

He just hasn’t produced enough to warrant pick 4. If they want to test him at 10 with J Johnson or best DE available, I’m ok.

I think our DE is 100% taken at 4 and it’s Thibedoux or J Johnson if we can’t maneuver a slight trade back for Johnson

19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t call this domination. Also, walker may have trouble at the beginning of his career v behemoth tackles. But behemoth tackles don’t run rampant in the NFL.
    O’Neal is huge. Just because some of the best DEs in the league (Garrett, Bosa Brothers, etc.) struggled against Mekhi doesn’t mean they aren’t good.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Garret, Bosa Bros, and others were dominant college players, Walker was a part time player for 2 years and a starter in his junior year.

Jets need a pass rusher that has been productive and dominant for three years at the college level.

That’s what I would like from the 4th overall pick.