Max’s Top 10 Preferred Prospects

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Dec 1, 2021.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don’t like “can’t miss” used on any prospects but the only player (not just edge) who I feel fits that kind of description is Aidan Hutchinson.

But yes I do believe he is that much better and worth that high of a pick personally. I think he consistently killed the run game, and showed elite pass rush that if he becomes more consistent in, he can dominate in the NFL. I think he has every physical trait you could ask for in an elite pass rusher.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. MaximusD163

I don’t know what he said, maybe he’s right, but it’s not anything I’ve heard. I feel like I read people well and I loved his interview.

Unfortunately I wasn’t really a huge fan of Drake London’s interview. Doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t be a good player but it was disappointing because I really like him as a prospect.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Haven't watched London's, what were your thoughts on it?

4. MaximusD163

I didn’t see the combine presser but I saw him in a CBS interview. His answers were all cookie cutter, unoriginal, and he didn’t seem very genuine. It kind of seemed like he wasn’t fully following the questions at times, like one time they asked a question and his answer was unrelated to the question.

Conversely, Johnson was thoughtful, well spoken, super confident, and self aware.

I thought the interviews I watched with Garrett Wilson were the best of the WR’s I’ve seen so far and interviews with Ikem Ekwonu were the best of the OT’s I’ve seen so far

joelip and REVISion like this.
  5. MaximusD163

I might say it could have just been a rough day for London but I’ve seen one of him where the 2021 USC captains were announced back in the summer and to be honest it wasn’t much better, even though they were basically USC student reporters.

I’m not saying he won’t be good but damn, I was so ready to fall in love with this guy as a prospect

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have to say Marino of thedraftnetwork rates Jermaine Johnson II very highly. Following is the link and the initial synopsis. The bolding in the synopsis is mine.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jermaine-johnson

"A 4-star recruit from Minneapolis, Jermaine Johnson began his career in the JUCO ranks where he played from 2017-2018 before transferring to Georgia for 2019-2020 and finishing his career at Florida State in 2021. After flashing at Georgia in a rotational role, Johnson became one of the most impactful defensive playmakers in the nation with Florida State in 2021. Watching the Seminoles’ defense in 2021, it was abundantly clear that Johnson was the best player on the field and he made an impact every week and in the most critical points of the game. As a pass rusher, Johnson is quick off the ball, has terrific length, a variety of rush moves, takes good angles, and relentlessly pursues the quarterback. As a run defender, Johnson is an exceptional processor that is stout at the point of attack, understands how to respond to blocking schemes, effectively stacks and sheds blocks, and is a consistent finisher. There are very few limitations with Johnson’s game and he’s a balanced defender against the run and pass with appeal in any scheme. The biggest question Johnson had to answer in 2021 was what type of impact he could make in a featured role and he absolutely aced the test. Overall, Johnson has good size, athleticism, technique, and functional strength while playing the game with tremendous urgency and features a high football IQ. Johnson has the makings of an impact starter at the next level.

IMO it says quite a lot that he not only flashed at UGA as part of the rotation, which can be hard to do when one may not be in the game long enough at any one time to get into the flow, but at FSU he was the best defensive player on the field, which meant he probably was doubled a lot, yet still made an impact each week and in the most critical points of the game.

Lance Zierlein of NFL.com isn't quite as effusive as Marino, but still rates him highly.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jermaine-johnson-ii/32004a4f-4878-9955-894a-a70b7162607a

Here are the strengths that Zierlein lists for him:

Strengths
    • Broad through shoulders with impressive wingspan.
    • Looked thicker and stronger in his lower half in 2021.
    • Explodes from his hips into initial contact.
    • Lifts blocker's pads with leveraged hands to set edge.
    • Length to separate and stay alive in plays.
    • Times up block shed to tackle.
    • Plays hard and fast; rarely stays blocked.
    • Agile with quick change of direction.
    • Always around the ball and is a very capable tackler.
    • Keeps feet moving, generating secondary-effort sacks.
    • Seek-and-destroy finisher once he's in the pocket.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

Yeah, London's interview didn't wow me. It also didn't make me think less of him. It will be important for the coaching staff to do a deep dive into his study habits, commitment to getting better, learning capabilities, leadership, what kind of teammate he is, etc. Maybe, he's just not great in front of a microphone. Hard for us to know.

One interview that did really impress me was Watson's. Very intelligent, self aware, and well spoken. Did a good job highlighting both his strengths and weaknesses. Comes across like a professional, that gets it and is committed to a team first attitude while striving to be great and separate himself from his competitors. Loved it. Hard not to bet on that kid.

8. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

Are you at all concerned with his breakout age? He broke out as 23 year old competing against younger less mature/developed players, so that should mean he had the advantage. Not a deal breaker, but does cause me to pause and think about it. I like him, I just have other preferences at 4, and 10 depending on how the board fell.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Another Nathan Sheperd, please say it ain’t so.

10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Diving into sauce today and his build really concerns me. The guy is Davonte Smith frail… he is just really lanky and really lean… At 10 I don’t know if can afford to gamble on this guy… His tape is solid he covers a lot of ground and has excellent ball skills but he gets turned around a lot on plays that’s concerning.

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

He’s a CB not a WR so I don’t think his frail body will take too many hits. Greedy Williams who’s the same size is working out just fine.

He’s averaged giving up 20 receptions per year aka 1.8 receptions per game, which games were you watching in which he gets turned around?

12. MaximusD163

Well, it’s something to take note of but he spent 2 years in Junior College and 2 years on a loaded Georgia DL. So… I think you could wonder if he would have blown up earlier if he had less depth in front of him at another school?

Im kind of falling in love with Ekwonu as well, I’m really annoyed because I don’t particularly want to go OL 3 straight years but I’m starting to feel like he’s a great prospect that probably shouldn’t be passed on…

ColoradoContrails and joelip like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Maybe they can take Ekwonu at #4 and Johnson at #10

ColoradoContrails and joelip like this.
  14. MaximusD163

It’s a possibility for sure

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not me as we currently have garbage at that position.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

1) The talk about them thinking they are set at LB totally reeks of smokescreen me
    2) Who the hell do we have at NT?

If we stay put at 10, at this point I'm going to guess it's either Devin Lloyd or Jordan Davis.

The middle of that defense was historically bad last year.

ColoradoContrails and b.reyes16 like this.
  17. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Lloyd gives me Darius Leonard vibes. Good length, athletic and sideline to sideline. I wouldn't hate him at 10, but there are rumblings about Dean falling to round 2 which could be enticing. Jordan Davis is a freak but I'd really rather not have another DT that can only 50% of snaps.

Will - Quincy
    Mike - Lloyd
    Sam - Mostly

Sounds like a nice LB corps to me

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It wouldn't shock me if they take Lloyd early (Not #4 though). They may say they like their LB corps, but what happens if one gets hurt? Just because Mosely got hurt his first season here doesn't mean he's immune from that, and he's older now. Depending on how the board falls I can see them taking a LB early - within the first 4 picks (minus the first one).

19. NCJetsfan

I will be shocked if Dean falls to the 2nd round. He was a stud in the best conference in college football. He has great character, loves the game, has great instincts, excels in coverage, is sideline to sideline, and is a LEADER. I may be mistaken, but I don't think Lloyd's level of play or stats are as good as Dean's, and he played in a conference that is at least 2 notches, if not 3 below the SEC. I can easily see the Jets taking Dean over Lloyd and his becoming the QB and leader of our D after Mosely is gone.

20. MaximusD163

This is the first post free agency update to my wishlist.

The Top 4 guys are players I’m fully sold on, both on the field and as team leaders and culture setters. If the Jets were able to come away with 2 players from my Top 6, I would be beyond stoked, and Top 8 I’ll be very happy.