*Speculation* Could the Jets be gearing up to make a big trade?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 17, 2022.

?

Offense or Defense?

1. Offense

2. Defense

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  2. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

It depends on what the Rams want for Woods. If he can be had for a Cooper-esque 5th round pick, I think you definitely pull the trigger. He would not prevent us from drafting a WR high, but would eliminate the need to consider reaching for a WR at #10. He's also very sure-handed. If we're really trying to put Wilson in a position to progress and succeed, this is how you do it.

KY Jets Fan, Noam and JetFanInPA like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I liked woods a lot with the rams, but a 30 year old with a 16 mil cap hit coming off a major injury doesn't intrigue me for any price

REVISion likes this.
  4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

There is risk though looks like the contract isn't as bad as it seems. Good read on that here: https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/03/18/ny-jets-need-trade-robert-woods/

Woods would be an intriguing add. Wonder if a 4th could do it? Sounds like they're planning to move on and he's due a roster bonus on Sunday so there could be some urgency there.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Ever since I saw the Robert Woods news, his name has flown to the top of my wish list.

I don’t think it would cost too much to get him either.

Noam likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

this year it's 13.5 and i just don't think at 30 coming off a major injury is worth that money and a pick

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While he isn't a "stud" WR, Robert Woods could be available, and he would be a very good, if not great scheme fit. He's only had 2 seasons with over 900 yards receiving in his career, but he's versatile, has reliable hands, is a good blocker and route runner. His contract is reasonable with no guaranteed money for the Jets to pay, so they could cut him if things don't work out.

Here's a quote from what Michael Nania has to say about trading for Robert Woods:
    https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/03/18/ny-jets-need-trade-robert-woods/

"Woods has long been a reliable weapon for the Rams, providing extremely consistent and stable production. He ranks 17th among wide receivers with 68.0 receiving yards per game since 2017, collecting 4,626 yards in 68 games. That number puts him on pace for 1,156 yards per 17 games.

Over that same span, Woods has dropped only 15 passes while catching 382 passes. That gives him a superb drop rate of 3.9%. His elite hands would be an enormous boon for Wilson."

Woods would also give the Jets a strong scheme fit. He emerged in the offense of Rams head coach Sean McVay, who comes from the same coaching tree as Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur.

Woods’ precise route-running on short and intermediate routes would allow him to fit right into New York’s scheme. He’s also a fantastic run-blocker, another key trait for wide receivers in the Jets’ offense."

#167 NCJetsfan, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think JD would want to be careful about bringing a big name onto a team where there is a young QB trying to establish his leadership. All the great teams of the past have had one thing in common, they had a great QB leading it. That should be the goal here as well. If he was inclined to make a trade, it would be better to do it on defense, where it's sorely needed, and a big name could perform, not sucking up too much oxygen, while allowing Zach to continue his development.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. The two biggest needs are WR and Edge. The draft is loaded with topnotch Edge prospects. It would be a waste to trade draft capital for an Edge. The Jets' #1 priority is ensuring that Zach develops. We need another reliable WRs. Rookies are notoriously unreliable. Some are great immediately, others take half the season or even a year or two, and some are busts. If there's a WR who can help us, HE should be for whom we trade, not a defensive player.

10. GasedAndConfused

the other side is you assume you are gonna land a starter with a top 40 pick. and we have 4 of those. Trading one for a 30 year odl WR coming off injury who costs more on the cap and the 4 draft picks combined doesn't make sense to me personally. JD has been looking for players who don't get hurt as well and woods doens't fit that.

Only trade I could see us making is Danielle hunter and even then I doubt it because we have lawson, JFM, huff and signed jacob martin, and are likely to draft one. but I could see a scenario where we do and start hunter and lawson and use the rookie and martin as subs and JFM plays both edge and DT for us.

11. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Who is saying anything about trading a top 40 pick. Nobody will offer that for Woods.

A 5th rounder like Cooper returned? Sure. A 4th rounder? Maybe. A Day 1 or Day 2 pick, absolutely not. He's at most a one year financial hit. We'd be on the hook for no guaranteed money outside of the roster bonus, and he can be cut at any time. If you bring in a guy like Woods, you are then afforded the luxury of keep one/drop one with him and Davis next year.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The time to pick up Woods was when he was cheap free agent like 5 years ago. Not now when he's injured, expensive and not going to be much better than the guys we already have.

Trading for Woods would be doing the Rams a favor as they want to get that off their books

13. GasedAndConfused

i guess i worded it wrong, what I meant was that we are likely to add 4 starters. 2 of which include edge and WR that means our WR group would be davis, rookie, moore berrios. we also have mims and smith and could take a WR late. even if it's a 4th i'd rather draft a wandale robinson to be our 5th WR as a rookie then to pay woods 13.5 mil for 1 season at 30 coming off an injury and pushing our high pick WR out of the lineup

14. westiedog1

Topnotch draft prospect doesn't necessarily translate to topnotch pro, especially at Edge, but I agree I would rather take my chances with the draft picks at that position. However, there are other areas where the defense can be improved. As for WR, we saw what happened when the Jets brought Brandon Marshall, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress here. Granted there was some production, but there was also turmoil and Wilson doesn't need that. Yes, rookies do drop balls, as do all receivers, but the receiver who dropped the most balls last season was rookie Ja'Marr Chase.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Chase dropped an easy TD against us and they had to settle for a FG. That was a big drop that helped us win that game.

I'm a little late to the conversation but so much of a receivers stats rely on the QB. Sure Corey Davis is no Chase, but Zach is no Burrow either. Look at Allen Robinson. Is he better or worse than Davis. Robinson had worse stats than Davis last season but also had a terrible passing offense to work in.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

My counter to this would be, I'd much rather have a very good vet like Woods next season than whoever we would take with the pick it would take to get him.

I feel like Woods is a little underrated here. The article that @NCJetsfan provided above shows that he's a very good WR. A guy who's been 17th in ypg over the past few seasons with excellent hands would be a wonderful addition for this offense and help elevate Zach's play immediately. It might not be the Stefon Diggs-esque trade we all wanted going into this offseason but it's about the best that we can hope for at this point. While the ACL is a bit of a concern, all reports seem to indicate that he's gonna be good to go by TC so I don't think it'll be much of an issue. He's also under contract for the next 3 years but only next season is guaranteed, so if he produces at a high level we have him under team control on a relatively cheap deal. If we have no issue paying CD 12.5M, we shouldn't have any issue with paying Woods 13M.

Why would you be concerned that his acquisition would reduce our potential rookie's or Elijah's minutes? I would think CD would be the guy we'd take off the field when we moved to 2WR sets considering we've got an easy out on him next season. Best case scenario, Elijah and the rookie take a huge step this season, we cut CD and roll with those 2 plus Woods for the next few years. I don't think adding Woods would really affect our guy's PT as much as you're thinking it will but maybe I'm wrong. It'll absolutely move Berrios, Mims, and others down the depth chart though but is that really such a bad thing?

17. GasedAndConfused

don't get me wrong. i'm a big bobby trees fan. he's an elite blocker and a solid route runner who moves the chains. he's not a big guy though or a fast guy and he's 30, coming off a major injury, and cost 13.5 mil on the cap. doesn't fit the jets MO. all of our signings were young and/or durable and cheap for the 1st year. woods is none of those 3. davis was 26 when we signed him and only missed 3 games in 3 years prior to that. he was also on the upswing having a career year and getting gradually better each year, woods is on the decline of his career. davis is also 6-2 210lbs and a big body. woods is barely 6' and 195lbs. I like woods a lot but he doesn't make sense for us or fit into what JD wants. the fact the rams would rather get OBJ back also coming of a major injury should let you know that

18. westiedog1

Whatever Chase dropped last season, I'd still take him.

Agree about the QB. He is the most important factor in a receiver's stats. Everyone is wondering what Rodgers will do without Adams. Don't worry. People forget that he had guys like Nelson, Cobb and Jennings before Adams. Great QBs will find someone to throw to. I think once Zach gets his act together and learns the pro game, his receivers will come along with him.

ouchy likes this.
  19. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

This afternoon on NY sports radio Evan Roberts was saying that the Jets could have given GB a better package for Devante Adams than what Oakland did, and JD should have offered it. He thought our pick 10 and our first pick in round 3 might've done it. I didn't think about that much last night, but this did make me wonder.

20. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

This aged well in 7 1/2 hours......

bicketybam likes this.