Has JD really had any success with Free Agency with Jets? Off hand none really come to mind.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sack exchange, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the Davis signing. It was a cheap $5 million dollar one year lotto ticket where they hoped the change of scenery and a switch back to the 4-3 would would help him. The coaching staff was really excited about Davis. It didn't work. That is FA. Most signings will not work out well. There is a reason most of these players were let go by their previous teams. Again if you can find and sign an average player in FA you are doing really well. FA is not to find stars but to help fill out the roster and remove glaring holes. The great thing is Davis is gone and Jets can move on. They found Q. Williams instead. Not a star and maybe at his best an average player but still a good signing and a player that teams need to fill out the roster.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Huh? The entire Rams roster is comprised of homegrown players in the mid rounds. They’ve had tons of draft picks and used a similar draft evaluation strategy that the Patriots have used for two decades in loading up on picks in the second through fourth rounds.

That team gets nowhere without their great draft picks in those spots. Go look at the history yourself.

Their two best players were drafted by the organization.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/draft.htm

NCJetsfan, apjbfc, chandler and 2 others like this.
  3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Makes sense, Q Williams is much better player and costs less! JD swung and missed, but hit on Willams. Best part is we are done with Davis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

@Jonathan_Vilma said everything that needs to be said on the Rams.

Until the Jets start finding good starters on a regular basis in the draft we will stink.

The last two seasons are the worst two defensive seasons in franchise history. Back to back.

And the offense has looked as good as the QB let it look both seasons.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I didn't mean this year, I'm talking all of his FA signings combined.

6. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I think a combination on hitting on quality starters in the draft and hitting on a few FAs (like say C Martin/Mawae types) would be recipe for success. The 2020 draft (poor), and unsuccessful FA signings to date (injuries, bad players) have yielded the last 2 year miserable results (that and the stench of previous regimes) With the promising 2021 draft class, and this year FA haul so far. Along with say Lawson and/or Bechton turn out to pro bowlers. Things are really looking up for JD and the team. This draft class will have a lot to say if we are competitive (respectability) this year and beyond!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Rams have been trading picks like they are water and spending in FA. No one said that drafting well wasn’t always gonna be a part in successfully building a team but it’s not the only way and the Rams are proof that you need to supplement drafting well with smart trades and FA signings.

JD is still building through the draft and imo it’s pretty obvious that drafting well is important that it doesn’t need to be stated in every thread like a broken record.

Brads way of building a team might’ve worked in the 80s but not now.

8. Attackett

Oh ok seemed like you were talking about the players brought in this offseason. No defending signing like GVR and the like but they seem like they were more band aid hold the fort and hope to strike lightning than building blocks for success.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This season will show how good his free agent signings are. How good his draft skills are. How good his team building abilities are. It will all start to come together in 2022. ;)

ColoradoContrails and apjbfc like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

What? What big time free agent have they signed outside of Odell last year who chose where he wanted to play mid season? Leonard Floyd is the only one that comes to mind. They traded a ton of capital this past year, but that’s only after the entire team was built already through the draft.

The majority of their team is homegrown and they went for it all last year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Attackett

Stafford, Woods, Odell, Whitworth, Corbett, Floyd, Ramsey off the top of my head that I’d say are pretty big pieces. I’m sure there are others as well.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Big time free agent signings. They traded for Stafford, Austin Corbett and Ramsey. They signed Woods to a WR3 contract some odd years ago and he outperformed that deal when he was developed so they extended him. He was not a big time free agent when he signed there.

I already conceded Odell but that was a half year deal and he chose where he wanted to go. They traded a 5th round pick for Austin Corbett who was making a staggering $1.8 million when he signed.

Whitworth signed for slightly more than what we gave George Fant at age 35. Really good signing and yes it classifies as a spend.

They have built a NFL team the right way and they’ve made advantageous moves when it made sense. But they are not the Browns, Jets, Lions, Jags of the past decade who have “won” free agency with big spends and contracts.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Indeed Dynasty. My two cents.
    I find it sad how some are so miserable about the Jets they will go to extremes in an attempt to make themselves right. A classic example of " I said JD is the worst GM so let me point to you at nausea with factoids I'm right". Lets relive the past. Such as the use of B Purcell as the standard for building the team solely thru the draft. Remind me again who brought C Martin, Vinny Testaverde, Cox, Jumbo Elliot and many others. He did it both ways. Difference being Purcell vast experience and had full control to do what he wanted as GM and HC from day one, as opposed to JD with one hand tied behind his back till the past year when he finally brought a CS that works with the GM and vice-versa. A lot has changed in 20 years in the NFL.

To me, any criticism that begins " This team has gone down hill since Mac left" has as much credibility as using Khalil as a shinning example of a bad free agency move. Utterly laughable.
    Truth be know not just JD but every single Jet fan knew damned well we were heading for a disaster and the risks associated with the pile of crap Mac left behind. It was sad to see JD desperately trying to find someone out of the recycle pile to hopefully help the worst O line ever. This, mind you, after free agency, the draft, way behind the power curve and trying to give Gase a fighting chance as the captain of a sinking ship. Worst situation ever for any new GM.

IMO, assessing JD performance so far goes like this. First draft is not looking too good right now unless Becton and Mims turn the corner, that is a fact, last year much improved, very good with at least 4 -5 key pieces added, and I expect even better this year. What I commend the most is that the CS and the GM as working hand in glove and players want to come here for a change because they respect them. That is what we should strive for. Progress and improvement year after year on our way to a playoff squad. A very disappointing season in 2021 no doubt, marred by injuries and rookie players and coaches across the board trying to jell as a team . But we finished with a bit of hope. I thinks we are adding the pieces in free agency to make this team a contender this year, still work to do, but a decent start. Past be damned.

14. Attackett

They built it the right way because they won a SB. They used a combo of drafting well, aggressive trades and FA, just like the majority of the other best teams in the league.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

I think his resume is still incomplete. But if we’re not pushing 8-9/9-8 next year then it’s time for him to be on the hot seat or fired. 5-6 wins with all of the resources he’s had (and credit to him for creating them) is a colossal failure.

I believe this was the worst three year stretch in Jets history. There’s a reason a portion of the fan base are not sold on this regime.

16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You know what another positive outcome is for the rams? They get 5 comp picks this year because they trade for guys and let their own FA's walk.

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

No one counts UDFA's as free-agent signings--these are draft picks essentially.

Sack exchange likes this.
  18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

FA should be for hold the fort type guys. By definition you are paying market rate for the guy. Maybe he's a better fit for you; maybe you can develop him; maybe he's available in FA for a reason that the prior team knows but chooses not to share (like maturity or devotion)

Your only real, reliable chance to get more for your dollar (and with a cap that is the name of the game, how much talent per dollar) is in the draft

Many people wish for instant impact by FA signing of a star but i bet there are more Leveon Bell stories than that wish coming true

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I think this year is crucial for him. He has a stellar resume from some good organizations but the Jets need to show something this year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with that. I do expect at least a 7 win season this year, against a much improved AFC. Also Becton's future is pivotal, if he reverts back to his rookie season the OL will be stout. If we draft OL with the 4th pick that tells me the concerns about Becton are real, which could very well negate taking a stud Edge. Some underestimate how much help it is for Wilson to have a solid D that keeps the score manageable.

#40 LAJet, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.