Has JD really had any success with Free Agency with Jets? Off hand none really come to mind.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sack exchange, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Has JD had any “real” success with free agency? I know he had missed on many, some just blah. TBH, a couple of good ones. That said. This year I feel he has nailed it with the signings. As I really like what he has done so far. I will say he managed a lot of the risk since the contracts are easy to move on from, unlike McCagdumb. Here are some of his work so far.

Duds:
    J Davis
    A Lewis
    Curry
    Doctson
    Perriman
    Desir
    Onwuasor
    Kalil
    Siemian
    Fales
    Van Rotten
    Osemele
    Kroft

Blah:
    McGovern
    Cole
    S Lawson
    Rankins
    C Davis
    Freeney
    Elflien
    Flacco
    Coleman
    Griffin
    Redwine
    Blair
    Gore
    D Thomas
    Hogan
    Andrews
    Ballage

Nice:
    Morgan Moses
    Hardee
    J Johnson
    Q Williams
    Fant
    Beachum

Incomplete:
    C Lawson
    Joyner

As you read through these, you get the idea. A lot of duds since he became GM. Not as bad as McCagdumb, but not encouraging.

Any thoughts. Anything I missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 Sack exchange, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure Osemele and Siemien were Mac signings. I wouldn’t really count Kalil as a dud - JD knew who he was signing he was just a bandaid at that point since center was such a huge hole.

But none of those guys were really signed for the long haul other than Lawson, McGovern, and Fant….

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's filling the same holes that Maccagnan was filling, over and over again.

That's not how you build a team and it is one of the primary reasons the Jets have gone from bad to terrible on his watch.

4. Sack exchange

Kilil was pure hot garbage, hard to watch, bad signing even band aid. Same with J Davis, he was really bad! You are probably right on Osemele, but I think he was still part of the fallout. McGovern serviceable, van Rotten was hot mess, C Davis was blah. Fant is really the only hit, since Lawson got hurt.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you can honestly look at the signings he’s made this offseason and compare them to anything else on that list then you just want to be miserable. And this goes beyond the fact that the biggest issue we had was poor drafting which is why we had to fill holes with stopgap players. The jury is out but his class last year has been better than any we’ve seen since the Mangold/Brick year.

b.reyes16, LF911SC, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I love the way Brad keeps saying it’s not how you build a team like there is only one way to build a team. Did you not see the defending SB champ Rams who have not had draft picks in years.

It might not have been the way to build a team 20 years ago but in todays NFL you build a team by getting a QB and putting pieces around him any way possible, which is exactly what JD is doing. We’ll see if it pays off.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That’s why I said some people just want to be miserable. Or they just want to see their name on the screen so they type anything and press submit.

A lot of people point to the Rams as a reason why you spend money and make trades but that’s only half true. Your post points out the full truth. They built around Goff through the draft and by making smart signings/trades. Once they got in contention they started going crazy with money and trades. Douglas is putting us in position to do that. Whether or not it works is a different story.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Well, he's been very frugal, which is good, but we've gotten mostly mediocre or bad players out of it.

JD's obsessed with value, it's a core principle of his. I think that's a good thing but it doesn't come without downsides. Lawson for example was relatively cheap for his talent level in part because of his injury history. Lo and behold he got injured immediately.

GVR was very affordable, I wonder why? Maybe because he's an absolute disaster as a player and was responsible for like 40% of the total pressures our line allowed last year before finally being benched. Does anyone think we wouldn't have been better off paying $2 million more per year for someone who could actually play?

Everything is a balance. Stingy JD is better than a Mac-type who just throws money at 30 year olds but each guy is too dogmatic and not pragmatic enough for my taste.

#8 REVISion, Mar 18, 2022
    mrmajix and Sack exchange like this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I get it and understand that this a troll thread and that you don't want an answer. But, I will bite.

Very successful JD FAs have been:

JFM
    McGovern
    Fant
    Huff
    Guidry
    Q. Williams

10. mrjet80

Yeah Van Rotten sucked but at least there was an out of his contract …. So you’re right in regards to the contracts themselves. JD left wiggle room on most of them …

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Huh? Which players did he bring in that are bad? Seems to me like he’s brought in all solid starters with experience and seemingly great scheme fits?

12. mrjet80

Well … a fair statement but I would suggest to wait another year to see how the Jets have progressed. JD inherited a mess and wanted to build mainly through the draft. His moves and countermoves pointed towards 2022 as to when he could finally put real pieces on the team.

So I say it’s still a work in progress. So far he has done a much better job than Mac …

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i started to go through the list but realized it's easier to do it like this.
    you have to realize he took over a bad roster made some desperate moves to help short term. some paid off some didn't

where he is good though is nothing has crippled the franchise. we didn't have a bell, mosley, trumaine contract. any mistake he made was off the books fast and wasn't expensive. he also found fant who was a backup but has proven he's a legit starter and has overperformed his contract. he found JFM and berrios off waivers and extended them both. he didn't have a lot of money to spend to start, he had to fix what mac left. only thing JD botched IMO is the robby anderson thing and he admitted it. outside of that he's been great. and to be fair mac botched that 1st by extending the guy with neck issues who's always hurt over extending robby

mrjet80 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Sack exchange

I am not a troll, I am jets fan. I was looking at all the signings this year, and realized how few JD has actually hit on.

mrmajix, JohnnyJet and IDFjet like this.
  15. Sack exchange

Guidry, Huff UDFA, I was not counting those.

Even McCagdumb, hit on a few of those, (Anderson to name one)

#15 Sack exchange, Mar 18, 2022
  16. Sack exchange

Really I listed them above. Van Rotten and kalil are solid starters! J Davis? His best signing has been Fant. It is FA season, so I am really talking established FAs. JFM was castoff, really developed. So great pickup, but low risk high reward move.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

FAs signings are generally bad. They are fools gold and rarely hit. if you get an average player in FA you are doing very well. JD has done very well in FA hitting on a number of players that I listed above. The list would likely be longer if Lawson, Joyner and Davis had not gotten injured. Lawson was ready for a monster season before a freak achilles injury. Davis while not great producded at the level of a number 2 WR which was how he was paid. Hopefully he will do better this year. Joyner was a strong leader in the locker room and they expected big things of him last year and liked him so much they gave him 4.5 million for this year. All of JDs signings are high character guys which have helped transform the Jets culture and locker room. I would argue that his FA signings are well above average and have made this team and locker room much better. You can see the results of the change in culture this off-season with FAs wanting to play for the Jets.

If you can get average players in FA you are doing really well. You are not going to get above average players in FA like McGovern, Fant and JFM very often. But if you get solid average players like Davis or Berriois you are doing very well. JD went for the moon with Lawson and it almost worked out. But if you look at this years FA class no one is saying they will be great players. Hopefully they will be average players that fill out the roster and get rid of glaring weaknesses. Maybe Tomlinson, Whitehead or Reed can be above average really good players. But average would be a very good return as well.

#17 Noam, Mar 18, 2022
  18. Sack exchange

Agree, JD has used low risk approach, and manages that very well, doesn’t sacrifice the future. But he had yet to really hit on high profile signing. Looking forward to see if C Lawson balls out this year. C Davis is what he is, solid, and for most part unspectacular. Hope the TEs turn out to better than Kroft/Griffin.

19. Sack exchange

Good points here, but there have been a few that you scratch you head, as JD is supposed to be talent evaluator, J Davis for one. I understand low risk, but he’s not good NFL player…

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we haven't had the money to spend until now but realistically thats not his MO either. he's not gonna go after the top guys. he'll draft top guys and go after 2nd tier FAs

ColoradoContrails likes this.