JD deserves some credit to the start of this free agency

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 14, 2022.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Good post!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

very well said and i'm willing to give him a pass for the 2020 draft because he was drafting for a different coach and different scheme and i'm sure gase had input as well as saleh. with saleh though the 2021 draft looked great

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I like this cautiously optimistic Cman better than the one that ended the season! Things are looking up

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

So they’ll be at 10 wins by 2027. The Bengals were just in the Super Bowl and this dudes cool with 5 wins.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We're not the Bengals. If you think this team is capable of a quantum leap from practically zero? good luck. Again, I'm expecting 5 wins. 7 is possible with some surprises up in NE and BUF. 5 wins is a one game improvement over '22. I haven't been cool with anything the Jets have done in years, but I'm not naïve enough to think this team can have a metamorphic transition into a contender this year. 5 wins is the floor, 7 is the ceiling. If it takes until 2027, so what. Its been since 2010 since this team has shown SB potential. Its been since 1969 since they're actually played in a SB. What's 5 more years? Ask a Lions fan.

KY Jets Fan, papapump and Br4d like this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Last year and this year JD has done his job, I’m still not sold on this CS.

You can buy the best ingredients in the world, if your chef can’t cook, it’s all for nothing. Saleh is being given everything he needs to start turning this around this year, if Jets get 5 wins and are getting dismantled in every game, you know where the problem is.

Cman68 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

What I like most was adding to the defense with guys who are up and coming and have age on their side. Whitehead and Reed have plenty of ball left so the staff is banking on them still ascending to potential star status.

Martin was arguably the Texans best pass rusher last year off the EDGE. Him and Huff should be good rotational pieces. I’d still love to add a top tier pass rusher in the draft and add a beefy DL on the interior who can close that gap on the inside with Q.

the TE moves were badly needed and they can run their 2 TE sets more effectively with two much better options there. Tomlinson takes this OLine to another level especially if Becton comes back and is ready to show why he was viewed as a franchise tackle.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  8. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

Been a Jets fan for a looooong time and this is only the third time I’ve felt realistic optimism, the first two being Parcels & Rex. JD and the CS look to have an actual plan . JD has been able to strengthen both the O & D, without breaking the bank trying to hit home runs on one or two guys in FA. The signings of Uzomah, Conklin & Tomlinson should be huge for Zach. JD has also done a good job of filling some of the holes on D, that should provide him more flexibility in the draft.

9. GasedAndConfused

i get that, but you have to look at the big picture. saleh came into a bad team, a team JD hadn't had time to fix enough yet. had to install a new defense, didn't have the players for it. had a rookie QB, the rookie QB needed help so most resources were to the offense. and we got ravaged with injuries. no coach would have succeeded in that situation

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m not holding last year against them, we know what the circumstances were, however this year cannot be a repeat of last year, if team stays healthy, we can’t accept 5 wins and beat downs every week.

There is no way JD could be blamed for a 5 win season with all the good moves he’s made starting with last years draft, this off-season and I expect another good draft.

At some point if team falters, you have to look at the HC and his young staff as something that may need to be addressed.

We want wins, that’s what it boils down to, just win.

11. GasedAndConfused

I agree, as long as we aren't ravished by injuries I think our win total should improve to the 7ish spot. a lot rides on zach's progression though. even with that he had a rookie QB, new system, tons of injuries and lack of talent and still doubled our win total from the previous year. if we could get to 7 this season i'd be pretty happy. for me the goal is barring injury, a playoff in 2023. I've been saying 2023 is the year we should be able to compete since JD took over. i said gase would get fired, he'd overhaul the roster and it'll take at least 3 years to make a playoff run if JD does a great job and he has

Red Menace likes this.
  12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

We on this board and media types don't think like players. Coach Saleh attracts good people. Jet tax and all that nonsense means nothing. They want to play for him.

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Idk though, it feels like the excuses just shift year to year in perpetuity with this team.

Prior to last season pretty much everyone here thought we should at least see improvement. We didn't. The defense got way worse and the offense got slightly better. I want to say we had the worst or 2nd worst point differential in the NFL last year.

Now this year's the "we just need to see improvement, no excuses" year?

Saleh came into a bad team but he inherited a better roster than Gase had the year before him. Gase was also clearly an awful coach so we all expected Saleh to at minimum be an upgrade from him.

We only somewhat had to install a new defense since Williams ran a hybrid system. These guys are all lifetime football players, it's not like the 4-3 is some totally foreign concept to them, especially since 4-3 is an older system relative to a 3-4 and is more commonly found at most levels of football.

Yeah, we had a rookie QB, but he took over for the worst QB in the NFL in Darnold.

We just fire up a new batch of excuses every offseason for why the previous season wasn't unacceptable.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

i mean objectively speaking we did improve. we went from 2 wins to 4 wins. probably not the improvement people wanted and there was no way to really get worse (well i guess 0-1 wins is possible)
    we all knew the D would be bad. it was a new system, didn't really have the right players for it, lawson went down, mosley was coming off an injury, joyner went down, J.davis went down. we knew the D would be a mess. we just all felt the offense would be legit. but we got ravaged by injuries. I think at 1 point we had over 25% of the cap on IR. moore, davis, crowder, carter, RG, kroft, becton, fant, mcgovern, AVT, zach all missed time.

with that said we did get to see potential at times. we beat tenn who won their division, we beat the bangals who made the superbowl, we beat the only 2 teams we should have beat on our scheudle (houston and jax) so we didn't get upset in any game. we almost beat TB who won their division but lost thanks to a 6th string S who was awful and should have never been there if not for massive injuries at safety.

the D is also completely different. GW ran a very agressive man scheme with blitzing. saleh runs a cover 3 zone which doens't blitz much and gets pressure with the front 4 and had to do it with bad LBers, no elite edge rush, and 18 backup safeties blowing assignments.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We need to see significant improvement in the team's play in 2022. Play meaningful games after Halloween. And don't get run over on defense. Let's see the 2021 draft class take a step forward. And the 2022 class show promise. And most importantly, Zach has to take a significant jump to at least middle of the pack.

ouchy likes this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't know that we improved. We had 2 more wins with an extra game on the schedule and a way worse point differential than the year before. At best we could argue we improved a tiny amount but even that is highly questionable. We suffered the worst loss in franchise history last year I think. We didn't just barely win more, we got blown out a lot more.

We definitely didn't know the defense would be bad, most of us thought it would improve. We certainly didn't think it'd be the worst in franchise history. Mosley was coming off an injury? Who cares? We didn't even have Mosley at all the year before last year. Joyner and Davis going down shouldn't matter because we didn't have either of those guys the year before either.

Yeah, Zach missed time, but our offense generally played better when he was out.

Look back at the season wins prediction thread:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/thr...york-jets-schedule-record-thread.96138/page-1

The average prediction was 7 wins, which is the same amount of wins you predicted. Not to single you out, we were all off for the most part. I'm just trying to say that it's revisionist history to now look back and act like there were a lot of good reasons for why we were so bad. There weren't. In fact there were a lot of reasons to think we should be significantly better.

We moved on from probably the worst coach/QB combo in the league the year before. The roster was better overall as well.

ouchy likes this.
  17. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Carter 4.3 per, Coleman 4.2....

James Hasty likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

except success in the NFL is based on wins. the raiders, steelers, and dolphins all had winning records with a negative point differential. losing by 50 one week then winning by 1 the next is the same result as losing by 1 and winning by 50.
    the other thing is again injuries. it's hard to improve when key players get hurt. jets have been bottom 3 3 years in a row and dead last 2 of those years
    https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-injured-team-nfl-2022

thats why this year in free agency JD focused on players who don't get hurt. it's hard to give fair assessments to a team when the injury bug gets them. I did predict 7 wins, I was probably a little optimistic there as I can be at times and i'm thinking 6-7 this year as well. but to be fair i've been saying since we hired saleh that 2023 should be the year we actually compete for the playoffs. which in the AFC is gonna be hard. bills should win the division. the AFC west will take probably 2 wild card spots meaning we have to battle oakland, indy, NE, pitt, ravens, for that last spot. the AFC is really stacked right now but anyway with that said the predictions were made assuming that half our starters didn't get hurt. half the players on our defense starting weren't even with the team to start the year really. lawson, sherwood, davis, joyner, maye, all missed significant time. thats half our defense and we didn't have a lot of depth. then even backups like curry, cashman, nasrildean, got hurt. we were signing guys like parks, riley, quincy, redwine to fill in. and thats just the defense. on offense (and not counting zach or small 1-2 game injuries) moore, crowder, cole, davis, RG, kroft, carter, coleman, all missed time. I mean for a few games berrios and cole were our top 2 Wrs and yeboah was a starting TE. nobody can succeed in that situation. and the fact it's been 3 years in a row for us, really makes it hard to evaluate fairly

19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Year 2 into a complete roster overhaul and you got the HC's head on a chopping block.

Making the leash shorter and shorter cos of decades frustration, sounds like....

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Carter 639 rushing/325 receiving
    Coleman 359 rushing/49 receiving

Oh and the Pats just signed Ty Montgomery who had more receiving touchdowns than Coleman and way more receiving yards.